Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the taillight lens to repair the seal? I'm starting to get dirt in as well as moisture through a gap in the sealant.

I know @litz and @d1giPhux have both done the headlights, so I'm willing to assume their advice is applicable to the tail lights as well... but if anyone has done the tails, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am in the same boat. I removed my tail light yesterday to dry the moisture out of my tail light. Pretty easy to do. Open the hatch and in the drain channel there is an access panel, about 5 inches long, that you can remove with a small flat blade screwdriver. Once the access panel is removed there are two phillips head screws that need to be removed. Once the phillips are removed the light is ready to be removed. Give it a pull. I wiggled mine from side to side to get it out. It is a little stiff coming out but easily snaps back in.

On my tail light I found that I have about a 6 inch area that the seal is not making a tight seal. I ordered some Morimoto seal and will repair the leak later this week when it comes in.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
You can also use a Socket wrench on those two phillips screws. I had a dealership disassemble the whole left side of the inside of my hatch area and damage the Sub Woofer housing while replacing a back up bulb.They replaced the damaged parts and all involved in that inspection no longer work there. See the attached from my owners manual for assistance.

I am in the same boat. I removed my tail light yesterday to dry the moisture out of my tail light. Pretty easy to do. Open the hatch and in the drain channel there is an access panel, about 5 inches long, that you can remove with a small flat blade screwdriver. Once the access panel is removed there are two phillips head screws that need to be removed. Once the phillips are removed the light is ready to be removed. Give it a pull. I wiggled mine from side to side to get it out. It is a little stiff coming out but easily snaps back in.

On my tail light I found that I have about a 6 inch area that the seal is not making a tight seal. I ordered some Morimoto seal and will repair the leak later this week when it comes in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
@96firephoenix : It shouldn't be too hard to pull them apart and re-seal. Use either the morimoto RetroRubber, or you can even use 'flowable silicone' from local auto parts store. Just make sure its the 'flowable' stuff, as this stuff is much easier to use. However, I would use the morimoto if you don't need to fix like ASAP. Because its more like the OEM seal, and not just silicone.

When / If you bake yours, just remember to remove any metal screws, etc from the housing before putting them in the oven.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
You can also use a Socket wrench on those two phillips screws....
Yes, if it's an optional head, use a socket instead of a screwdriver, if you can--8mm socket, and don't over-tighten.

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Mine are, so I presumed all were. Prefer sockets to screwdrivers for better control.
Yes, if it's an optional head, use a socket instead of a screwdriver, if you can--8mm socket, and don't over-tighten.

·
Registered
209 Posts
@96firephoenix :
When / If you bake yours, just remember to remove any metal screws, etc from the housing before putting them in the oven.
Curious as to why you would remove the screws from the housing? The one part I would be worried about is the electronics and there is no way to get them out before baking. My Morimoto seal is supposed to be here tomorrow afternoon. I will remove the tail light tomorrow and get it apart in anticipation of the sealing material.

265 degrees F for 10 minutes?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Curious as to why you would remove the screws from the housing? The one part I would be worried about is the electronics and there is no way to get them out before baking. My Morimoto seal is supposed to be here tomorrow afternoon. I will remove the tail light tomorrow and get it apart in anticipation of the sealing material.

265 degrees F for 10 minutes?
You remove metal screws so they don't become hot spots and melt the plastic. Metal gets hotter than plastic, and quicker.

That temperature should work fine. Just make sure you use a plastic pry tool to start pulling them apart so you don't break anything and also have something on hand to cut /move any peeling hot glue away from the lenses so it doesn't get on them.

Also, make sure to put them on a cookie sheet in the oven so you don't hot spot the lenses on metal racks in oven!!

If the lenses have any screws mounted in them you cant remove, you can always use a heat gun to slowly heat them and peel them apart. But, once again, keep the heat gun moving so you don't melt or deform the plastic.

Good luck! It will be easier than you think. Let us know how that temp works out!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Has anyone removed the taillight lens to repair the seal? I'm starting to get dirt in as well as moisture through a gap in the sealant.

I know @litz and @d1giPhux have both done the headlights, so I'm willing to assume their advice is applicable to the tail lights as well... but if anyone has done the tails, I'm all ears.
I re-sealed mine. Here's how I did it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts