Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After scraping snow and ice off the car windows the last few days, remote start is looking attractive. I checked with my installer who has put remote start in my last 4 cars and he quoted me $350, a lot higher than my other cars. But he said the CR-Z is different, needs more stuff. So, has anyone put remote start in, what did it cost you, and who was the manufacturer of the kit? Yes, I know it wastes gas, but I'm old and get cold fast.

·
Registered
618 Posts
It takes longer for the oil to come up to operational temp if it's idling. Idling a cold car to warm it up will create more engine wear than if you were to immediately drive it off gently.

Your car would be better off with an engine block heater, even in tandem with the remote start. The block heater would allow the windshield defroster to come up to temp quicker.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@JnC

are you talking about the blue low temperature indicator light that comes on when you start your car? i was wondering about that especially now that it's cold. should i start the engine and leave it idling for 2-5 minutes until that light goes off or am i better off just driving off, ultimately forcing the light to turn off?

·
Registered
618 Posts
are you talking about the blue low temperature indicator light that comes on when you start your car? i was wondering about that especially now that it's cold. should i start the engine and leave it idling for 2-5 minutes until that light goes off or am i better off just driving off, ultimately forcing the light to turn off?
The blue indicator is for low engine coolant temps. Cold coolant isn't really the issue. Cold oil and low oil pressure an a car that hasn't been run for a while is the issue. If the oil doesn't come to temp to where it can flow optimally then it doesn't provide as much wear protection.

Just drive off. Don't rev the fool out of it or redline it, just drive with a light foot. The oil pressure will come up much quicker and it will save your engine over the long run.

If you're in a severely cold climate, use an engine block heater to warm up the oil in your oil pan before you start up.

I've observed over the years that the majority of cars in my neighborhood that wisp blue smoke are the ones I see unattended during the morning just idling in the driveways.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Idling a cold car to warm it up will create more engine wear than if you were to immediately drive it off gently.
I find that VERY hard to believe as well as very poor advice. Driving off gently immediately when it is close to or below freezing is not very smart no matter how 'gently' you drive.

·
Registered
618 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the Viper 5901 installed. It is a bit costly, but includes
the remote start an 2-way security system, meaning that
if someone is breaking into your car you will be notified
on the remote that you have with you. It is supposed to work
up to a mile away. I think it was around $650 installed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Should have also mentioned that the CRZ does not
come with a valet key, so you need to either get one
made for the override box (which I believe is about
$90, though the goofy local Honda dealership said they
has no idea how to do that) or use one of the two
keys that came with the car in the override box, leaving
you with only one key, which is where I am at now.
I plan on heading to Madison soon and getting a valet
key made there. They need to have the car in order
to program a new key.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Not totally sure, but from what I was told, it is not possible to use a remote start with a manual transmission.
not true. you can use it, but most installers will refuse to install because people leave their car in gear when parked and then start it and the car launches which can be catastrophic. think parking lot and pedestrians.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
not true. you can use it, but most installers will refuse to install because people leave their car in gear when parked and then start it and the car launches which can be catastrophic. think parking lot and pedestrians.
This happened to a friend of mine. He had a VW R32 w/ remote start. I was with him looking at Audis one day. We were about to leave and he started his car. It ended up in the show room!
I wouldn't put remote start on my manual car; then again, I leave it in gear when parking. I have a CVT in the CR-Z, this is w/ past cars.

I'm also considering an aftermarket 2 way alarm w/ r.s.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Oh you are freakin' hilarious!!! Glad to see you can back up your claims with facts. I applaud you sir.... clap.

What about when your windows are iced over and fogged up? I guess we should just get in and drive away huh? Vision be damned. Remember, I said when it is at or below freezing. Along with those conditions come VERY limited visibility through frozen glass. While you are warming up the oil to assist it flow better, you are also clearing your windows. They go hand in hand.

You are also getting warmth into the driving compartment. A comfortable driver is a better driver. Someone who is trying to drive while also warming their hands is not a safe driver. Seats are cold, steering wheels are cold, all of these things add to distracting the driver from proceeding with 100% attention on the road. Roads could be slick or icy in those conditions as well.

Warming up your car for a couple of minutes in freezing conditions is MUCH smarter then just getting in and "gently" driving away.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It takes longer for the oil to come up to operational temp if it's idling. Idling a cold car to warm it up will create more engine wear than if you were to immediately drive it off gently.

Your car would be better off with an engine block heater, even in tandem with the remote start. The block heater would allow the windshield defroster to come up to temp quicker.
You notice on the oil cap "0w-20"? That '0' in there means it is extremely thin oil.

The blue indicator is for low engine coolant temps. Cold coolant isn't really the issue. Cold oil and low oil pressure an a car that hasn't been run for a while is the issue. If the oil doesn't come to temp to where it can flow optimally then it doesn't provide as much wear protection.

Just drive off. Don't rev the fool out of it or redline it, just drive with a light foot. The oil pressure will come up much quicker and it will save your engine over the long run.

If you're in a severely cold climate, use an engine block heater to warm up the oil in your oil pan before you start up.

I've observed over the years that the majority of cars in my neighborhood that wisp blue smoke are the ones I see unattended during the morning just idling in the driveways.
Jesus Christ, man. It's perfectly fine to let your car sit to warm up. This new fangled ricer BS of drive immediately is a fallacy. There is no load on the engine at idle. The oil flows fine.

:eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
You notice on the oil cap "0w-20"? That '0' in there means it is extremely thin oil.

Jesus Christ, man. It's perfectly fine to let your car sit to warm up. This new fangled ricer BS of drive immediately is a fallacy. There is no load on the engine at idle. The oil flows fine.

:eek:fftopic:
:yeahthat:... agree with Shatner totally! The 0W-20 is thin enough to allow some lubrication at initial startup, and pressure will come up quickly. An engine block heater is not necessary unless you are constantly in low temps, and running higher viscocity oil. Block heaters are nice in that they allow one to drive off sooner without damage, since the pressure will come up much quicker, since the oil should already be warm.

Just driving off.. without waiting for the pressure to come up is the best way I know to reduce the life on all moving parts in your engine. Idling for a minute or two (cold weather) is the best way to ensure proper lubrication before driving off. Warm weather probably doesnt need more than 30 seconds or so with the low vis oil we have.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Oh you are freakin' hilarious!!! Glad to see you can back up your claims with facts. I applaud you sir.... clap.

What about when your windows are iced over and fogged up? I guess we should just get in and drive away huh? Vision be damned. Remember, I said when it is at or below freezing. Along with those conditions come VERY limited visibility through frozen glass. While you are warming up the oil to assist it flow better, you are also clearing your windows. They go hand in hand.

You are also getting warmth into the driving compartment. A comfortable driver is a better driver. Someone who is trying to drive while also warming their hands is not a safe driver. Seats are cold, steering wheels are cold, all of these things add to distracting the driver from proceeding with 100% attention on the road. Roads could be slick or icy in those conditions as well.

Warming up your car for a couple of minutes in freezing conditions is MUCH smarter then just getting in and "gently" driving away.

Although I hate watching the MPG indicator go down and understanding I have 0w20 doing the lube job, letting the engine and interior warm up (windows defrost) at idle is the best choice. Even if just a minute or two. You and your car will last much longer if you can see the road (defrosted windows) and your not shivering to the point of distraction.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey all. I've installed a Crimestopper Fortress FS 90 two way alarm/remote starter in my crz. The only additional thing I needed was an Idatalink bypass module (AL CA)/(OFA 30) to communicate with the bcm. This remote start set up is also designed for manual vehicles, keeping safety in mind!!! Everthing works great!!! I love it, I also added a window roll up/down module and a tilt sensor, you can read more about this system or others like it at crimestopper.com

·
Registered
618 Posts
I suppose these guys have no idea what they're talking about either. And think of the children and polar bears! ;) ;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.