Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have my CRZ, I'm listing the upgrades to come. One of the first on my list is remote start/alarm. I have a 6MT, and have to hit the clutch right now to start the car. What has to be done to make my CRZ capable of remote start? My buddy has a 350Z also in manual, and he had to do a clutch delete mod to get the remote start working without leaving it in gear each time.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I too have a remote start on my wish list for next winter, but despite my enthusiasm for DIY I think I will throw in the towel on this one and let the dealer install it. I tried to install one in my chevy blazer...what a mess... and that was an auto.
I understand the added complexity of having a manual with remote start, but what on earth is a "clutch delete"??? Cuz as much as I'd love to warm up the car in the winter, that clutch sure comes in handy most of the time too and I think I'd miss it :pP:

·
Registered
658 Posts
when you get remote start on a MT car, you need to do a clutch bypass. as far as finding shops that will install remote start on MT cars, you can find them if you look. and since our cars have an immobilizer, you're going to need to use your spare key as the immobilizer bypass also. just watch out because with the clutch bypass, your car will still attempt to start the car even if you're in gear. if you have the ebrake up, the car will keep jerking forward in attempt to keep starting it until you kill the command with your remote. if you try and start the car just in gear without the ebrake, it can be very fatal to others and your car because the car will just roll forward; hence, it is "illegal" to install on MT cars.

just make sure if you get this done, that you remember whether you're parked in gear or not before starting. before when i had the viper on my old car, it had a turbo timer feature that would let you take the key out with the engine still running to make sure you dont leave it in gear when you park. i dunno if alarms still have that feature now

·
Registered
320 Posts
My understanding is remote starters have advanced to a point where you can get kits for manual cars, without the shortcomings majestic describes, but they do tend to cost more. There are sensors in place to check if the car is in gear or not, those get used to determine whether or not to respond to a signal from a remote to start. I do not believe they "bypass" clutches anymore, at least not at dealerships. Maybe in a small shady garage but its definatly not a good idea when you can get a system these days which will simply notice that you left the car in gear and refuse the signal to start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.