Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
311 Posts
Wow definitely not my kind of humor. Insanely cringe.

Didn't even drive a manual car. Dude said he liked the orange contrast inside and the guy replies with one of the dumbest takes I've ever heard on YouTube.

He's right about most of his serious critiques though.

· Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He does make some good points about fuel economy being poor for a hybrid of the time and the CVT being awful. But all CVTs are awful.

A review of the manual may have made a stronger argument for the car.

I think half the review is influenced by the personality of the owner of the car on loan for review.

· Registered
2013 Honda CR-Z w/ HPD supercharger
534 Posts
Haven't watched the vid, but I don't know why everyone hates the CRZ and considers it to be a failure...
Tbh these cars had basically nonexistent marketing and they still made no sense when compared to the Insight and Fit and the sales were piss poor. On paper and in practice it was indeed a failure. But his outright dismissal of the car based on nostalgia for the original CRXs is not deserved. I have a 1985 Honda Civic CRX Si. It's way slower and (in stock form at least) handles way worse than a CR-Z in stock form. At least for the US market our CRXs barely revved past 6500. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's better. However, it is much lighter and in theory much more capable when modded correctly.

Wow definitely not my kind of humor. Insanely cringe.

Didn't even drive a manual car. Dude said he liked the orange contrast inside and the guy replies with one of the dumbest takes I've ever heard on YouTube.

He's right about most of his serious critiques though.
He hasn't been funny or really relevant since 2016. I used to find his videos fun and interesting but now he just drones on basically narrating Wikipedia articles. I guess his most cringey thing is referencing his strange fetishism in his videos. There's a dark rabbit hole to go down if you really wanna know more but I suggest you don't.

He does make some good points about fuel economy being poor for a hybrid of the time and the CVT being awful. But all CVTs are awful.

A review of the manual may have made a stronger argument for the car.

I think half the review is influenced by the personality of the owner of the car on loan for review.
Most likely the owner bought it because it was much cheaper than comparable cars too and just dealt with the issues of driving a smaller car. I would volunteer my own car to have him look at it since mine has the supercharger which he touched on a single time and didn't care to look into at all or explain to the audience. But this guy hasn't really traveled much in a few years so that's highly unlikely.

· Registered
77 Posts
Tbh these cars had basically nonexistent marketing and they still made no sense when compared to the Insight and Fit and the sales were piss poor. On paper and in practice it was indeed a failure. But his outright dismissal of the car based on nostalgia for the original CRXs is not deserved. I have a 1985 Honda Civic CRX Si. It's way slower and (in stock form at least) handles way worse than a CR-Z in stock form. At least for the US market our CRXs barely revved past 6500. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's better. However, it is much lighter and in theory much more capable when modded correctly.
Why it makes no sense? True that fuel economy not so great for a hybrid, but it's still really good compared to it's power. It's true that it's not fast either. But it's never meant to be a boring economy grocery getter or a proper sports car. It's a great balance between those (and it has a manual variant). AFAIK there were no alternatives to it back then. It just gives you a little bit of everything.

· Registered
2013 Honda CR-Z w/ HPD supercharger
534 Posts
Why it makes no sense? True that fuel economy not so great for a hybrid, but it's still really good compared to it's power. It's true that it's not fast either. But it's never meant to be a boring economy grocery getter or a proper sports car. It's a great balance between those (and it has a manual variant). AFAIK there were no alternatives to it back then. It just gives you a little bit of everything.
Honda's competition was ironically themselves with the Honda Fit. Not only did they have similar dimensions and identical powertrains, they shared a lot of suspension components. Fuel economy was similar and so was price. The incentives were just not there for the US market. However, that's not to say there were no incentives for other markets. Countries like the UK got benefits like cheaper registration and insurance because of the hybrid system. So at least for them they did have something to go with. And a manual hybrid is certainly unique.

· Registered
2011 CR-Z GT-Navi Milano Red
331 Posts
Countries like the UK got benefits like cheaper registration and insurance because of the hybrid system. So at least for them they did have something to go with.
The road tax is £20 comparing to £180 for a hatchback with similar petrol engine so even if fuel consumption is not great I can benefit from 2,5 full tanks of petrol per year for free…

· Premium Member
'14 Energetic Yellow 6MT Panoroof Parking Sensors
139 Posts
I just tl;dr any sort of article or video on the CR-Z now.

There is only so many times you can hear "ITZ ZOOO SLO000WWWW" without wanting acid to spontaneously melt your eyes out.

It's almost as if no motoring journalist has ever driven a pre 2000s car where big power wasn't everything and driving dynamics and fun counted for a lot.

· Registered
139 Posts
Watched the video but not to the end, seems like it was way longer than it needed to be. Guess he's just satisfying the YouTube algorithms. Nothing that we didn't already know.
As far as the 85 CRX Si being "way slower", that's debatable. I think mine is about the same as the cr-z and more nimble probably due to less weight. My cr-z handles flatter but I do have coilovers and the larger swaybar, I installed OEM replacement shocks on the 85.

· Registered
752 Posts
I haven't watched RCR for years because I cannot stand his voiceover garbage, and still couldn't get through 1/4 of this video.

· Registered
2011 Horizon Turquoise Pearl CR-Z GT-Nav Dynamic+, Glow Pack and Electra 17" Alloys
39 Posts
I've had a few moments of enjoying RCR's car reviews, bringing attention to some of the more obscure corners of the enthusiast car world, but I've not watched a video of his for a while - the Roman long form videos though, i've really enjoyed.

The reason I have wanted a CR-Z for as long as I have, and finally bought one, is partly because of the fact it's a fairly rare car on UK roads, partly the fact it's got a properly cool shape to it, and partly because it's a Honda, and a bit of an oddity! (Manual, Hybrid, fun features, proper steering and a lovely power train)

I have had a few people now say they've never seen one, and everyone who's ridden in it likes it. It's also one of the few cars i've owned that I still look back at when I lock it.

I don't care that it's not 200bhp plus, it's got enough go and theater to enjoy, and does 50mpg when i'm pootling to work and back.

· Registered
219 Posts
The only downside I see to the CRZ is parts scarcity will rear its ugly head. For now almost every part I couldnt get through say hondapartsnow, I was able to get brand new ordering direct to japan but my guess is that due to the numbers parts will dry out quickly and we will end up like the G1 Honda Insight guys fabricating and buying every parts car they can get their hands on (actually more common on there then I thought). Versus an accord or civic where parts issues arent as common. Having a 2016 I bought used and began restoring every part that was worn, the center arm rest was my awakening moment to parts being an issue. A reminder if hondapartsnow shows it as discontinued, so far direct japan ordering has been succesful.

· Registered
2011 Horizon Turquoise Pearl CR-Z GT-Nav Dynamic+, Glow Pack and Electra 17" Alloys
39 Posts
I've already found a couple of parts I've wanted to replace, and due to the parts bin mix of honda common parts, I've yet to have an issue. I understand trim and body parts may be more of an issue, but the mechanicals are largely used all over the place- fog lights being a good example, jazz/fit/civic are all identical within specific years, engines too?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts