Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Personally, I think it's almost transparent. Once or twice I might have noticed a slight twitch or change in pressure as it switched from motor/generator breaking to mechanical, but only when it didn't matter (long slow stops). And actually, I think I'm feeling a change in the transmission, and not the breaks at that time.

when breaking medium or hard, it's completely natural.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I notice it when the engine goes into AutoStop, but that's about it. Of course I use to have an Insight so i am use to the regenerative breaking,.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've had that question for some time now too. I try to maximize the regenerative braking when I can. I watch the charge indicator and will brake early for stop lights etc. What I want to know is since I "max" out the meter am I actually engaging the brakes and wearing the pads??

I am noticing some brake dust but other auto's I've owned were a lot worse with the dust.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The pads are normally only used to bring the car to a complete stop and in aggressive braking situations.
Not what I read. The mechanical system is always active, regenerative braking occurs in parallel (but I'm not clear where the energy goes if the IMA is full). This ought to have the effect of needing fractionally less braking pressure, and reduce the pad wear.

Below 18mph, the regenerative braking is ramped out, and mechanical braking self-regulates as speed drops to zero (so there should be a smooth transition to stop without needing to change the pedal position).

I believe that there is also some regenerative braking applied if you have zero accelerator pressure (i.e. this is more aggressive than normal engine braking drag would be, and if you need to maintain steady speed, you will need to maintain some throttle). Since the throttle is all electronic, this is not inefficient.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Like other hybrid systems, applying a drive torque to the rotor turns the motor into a generator. During deceleration, the motor is used to recharge the battery and slow the vehicle, negating the need for the brakes to be used as much. The low cost nature of IMA hybrids means that Honda doesn't incorporated fancy brake-by-wire systems to blend friction and regenerative braking. Instead, the regenerative braking is overlaid on the friction brakes and then gently ramped out at low speeds. Compared to the Civic Hybrid, which exhibits a distinct loss of deceleration at about seven mph as the regenerative braking is switched off, the Insight and CR-Z have a much more gradual phase out making the transition almost imperceptible.

source: Deep Dive: Getting intimate with the 2010 Honda CR-Z's powertrain — Autoblog

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Not what I read. The mechanical system is always active, regenerative braking occurs in parallel (but I'm not clear where the energy goes if the IMA is full). This ought to have the effect of needing fractionally less braking pressure, and reduce the pad wear.

Below 18mph, the regenerative braking is ramped out, and mechanical braking self-regulates as speed drops to zero (so there should be a smooth transition to stop without needing to change the pedal position).

I believe that there is also some regenerative braking applied if you have zero accelerator pressure (i.e. this is more aggressive than normal engine braking drag would be, and if you need to maintain steady speed, you will need to maintain some throttle). Since the throttle is all electronic, this is not inefficient.
This guy has it right. I will add to the last paragraph, though. If you have no accelerator pressure and are using engine braking, you'll see the charge graph light up to the charge position. Also, if you're just cruising, maintaining a certain speed, the IMA will regenerate power, also.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Umm my charge meter has NEVER light up from applying the brakes.... is there something wrong?

:staffmeeting:
In the CR-Z I leave it in gear and the clutch out until the engine almost starts to die. I have noticed that even if the charge indicator is completely lit (deceleration with light braking) if I push in the clutch the meter bars extinguish (neither charging or assisting). As you coast down are you leaving the clutch engaged or pushing it in?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Umm my charge meter has NEVER light up from applying the brakes.... is there something wrong?

:staffmeeting:
When does your charge meter light up?

Is that you coasting in gear to less than 20mph. At less than 20mph brakes will be used to stop the car and because Autostop maybe engaged I've noticed charging will not occur.

What charge does your meter show when you brake?

If you have 8 bars on the battery meter, it may see the battery as being full and no charge required.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In answer to the original question, about the only thing you'll probably notice about the brakes is that they are excellent. Motor Trend review also praises the system for its transparency and performance.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
In answer to the original question, about the only thing you'll probably notice about the brakes is that they are excellent. Motor Trend review also praises the system for its transparency and performance.
I'll tell you what, and it really surprised me on the test drive. The CR-Z brakes are about as graby as my STi w/ the stock Brembo, before I upgraded to an aftermarket Brembo 6piston front, 4 rear Monoblock calliper and 2 piece rotors.

·
Registered
522 Posts
In the CR-Z I leave it in gear and the clutch out until the engine almost starts to die. I have noticed that even if the charge indicator is completely lit (deceleration with light braking) if I push in the clutch the meter bars extinguish (neither charging or assisting). As you coast down are you leaving the clutch engaged or pushing it in?

i brake in neutral. does it only "regenerative brake" from engine braking?

·
Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
does it feel different? i have not test drove a cr-z yet but does it have a disconnected feel? do you need to get used to it? Thanks
No, on the CR-Z in my experience, it feels very stable.

I compare it to my trade in which was a 07 Civic Hybrid. I could always feel the "brake by wire" nature of it. Sometimes grabby, sometimes let loose. Uncomfortable for someone not used to it. Wifey hated it.

One of the things I am impressed with the CR-Z.

R/Scott

·
Registered
53 Posts
This will not cause regeneration. The IMA rotor is coupled to the crankshaft and clutch/CVT input drive on either side (depending on your transmission) by bolting through the rotor.

Coasting/braking with the clutch disengaged means there is no drive provided to the IMA rotor other than from the engine idling and no charge will be generated.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You will need to adapt your driving style to benefit from regenerative braking. Don't worry about down-shifting to brake (like you might if you wanted traditional engine braking), and don't worry about excess strain on the engine (just keep the revs sensible if you do down-shift). With the IMA, the engine can provide much more braking effort than you might have seen clasically, and at zero throttle, the fuel injectors will cut off completely above 800? rpm.

This last point means that braking in neutral will consume fuel, braking in gear will consume no fuel, and also charge the battery.

·
Registered
522 Posts
This last point means that braking in neutral will consume fuel, braking in gear will consume no fuel, and also charge the battery.

they should put that in the manual - that is TERRIFIC news!! :hi5:

im just so used to braking while in neutral as one of my hyper-miler techniques from back in my Geo Metro 3-banger, guess im better off leaving him in gear!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.