Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts
...How was the turbo installation? What did you find challenging about it, etc etc
....So if you're thinking about this kit and you are not comfortable with installs beyond normal bolt on's then think really hard about how deep you want to delve.
On the otherhand (@Shamarskii;,) if you want to learn to turn a wrench and do your own mods and/or maintenance in the future, it's not a bad idea to get your hands greasy on this turbo kit; installing it yourself, and learning from that experience. The only thing that's more important than any prior mechanical knowledge, is to have a copy of the two-volume OEM service manual on hand. Beyond that, of course, is to find a tuner to make that pile of bolted-on parts play happily with the ECM. :grin2:

On the otherhand (@Shamarskii;,) if you want to learn to turn a wrench and do your own mods and/or maintenance in the future, it's not a bad idea to get your hands greasy on this turbo kit; installing it yourself, and learning from that experience. The only thing that's more important than any prior mechanical knowledge, is to have a copy of the two-volume OEM service manual on hand. Beyond that, of course, is to find a tuner to make that pile of bolted-on parts play happily with the ECM. :grin2:
I may just do that! I was asking my brother if he could steal some jack stands and a jack from work for a day or two. I wouldn't want to get slapped by labor for the installation.

The PDF of the service manual found here would suffice, no?
@RedJester ah, well I already decided to delve deep into this car (and I'm hoping my brother would like to help me out, too) so it's nice to see that the hardest part is the size of the car.

Anyway, back to lurking. :p

Discussion starter · #63 ·
I agree with Litz, and encourage it to be a learning experience. It really is a great kit.

Talk with the guys at Kamispeed, they did an install in shop before shipping out other units and translated the instructions. Great wealth of info there.

Discussion starter · #64 ·
So...

I had a remote e-tune done today and I am now kicking myself for not installing the injectors while I was in there.

The thinking was I would run OEM injectors for a small break in period on the turbo, then switch out to the 450cc DW's when I found a new plenium.

However, Kamispeeds' test install didn't have the other upgrades that mine has, and I ran out of injector around 4400rpm. Rev limiter set at 5600.

/sadface

Back under the hood I go!

450cc DW injectors? Not sure what they are, but when I was deciding upon injectors for my Sprintex/KTuner install, I ended up getting the same injectors they used on the HPD and Jackson Racing superchargers (270cc) and installation was plug & play--no fuss. Well, since my Sprintex sat on top of everything I wanted to get to, I has to take that off too. :frown2:

Here's a listing of stock and other available injectors for upgrade:
16450-RTW-A01 Injector Assy., Fuel $100.75 (185cc) stock injectors
16450-RCA-A01 Injector Assy., Fuel $46.61 (270cc) HPD & JR s/c
16450-RWC-A01 Injector Assy., Fuel $47.81 (410cc) + needed plug n play adapters

Discussion starter · #67 ·
450cc DW injectors? Not sure what they are, but when I was deciding upon injectors for my Sprintex/KTuner install, I ended up getting the same injectors they used on the HPD and Jackson Racing superchargers (270cc) and installation was plug & play--no fuss. Well, since my Sprintex sat on top of everything I wanted to get to, I has to take that off too. :frown2:

Here's a listing of stock and other available injectors for upgrade:
16450-RTW-A01 Injector Assy., Fuel $100.75 (185cc) stock injectors
16450-RCA-A01 Injector Assy., Fuel $46.61 (270cc) HPD & JR s/c
16450-RWC-A01 Injector Assy., Fuel $47.81 (410cc) + needed plug n play adapters
This is what's sitting in my garage.

DeatschWerks 450cc Injectors CR-Z, RSX, & Civic Si | KamiSpeed.com

Discussion starter · #69 ·
Remote tune is done. Car is a different sort of beast now. Still have a few fine tuning adjustments to go. Will be scheduling some dyno time in the near future. Have a small bit of hop in first gear, and probably some clutch slippage in the 5500+ range.

I did spend the better part of the weekend pulling the turbo. Had an oil leak on the outflow oil fitting. Don't know if I overtightened, bad gasket, etc... But I replaced it with high temp, silicone oil resistant gasket maker. Will see if that holds.

Discussion starter · #70 ·
MAF sensor went out about 2 days after the last tune. Replaced it and now my tune is a bit off as would be expected if the MAF was failing during the tune.

Also having a few issues with power cuts at the onset of vtec engagement. Working with the tuner on that.

In the meantime, I have parts on the way to steal Litz ideas.

....In the meantime, I have parts on the way to steal Litz ideas.
I hope you get the tuning "tuned in" and all the little bugs taken care of. :wink2:

As for the mod your going to do to the fog light trim/grills, I thought I'd take a few pics of the back of the grill, after attached, but couldn't just pop them out without taking the bumper off again, so I opened the bottom corner of the under-bumper-covers. Thought I could get to them easily enough to remove the fog trims without removing the bumper, but found that the access was just too constricting, and only useful to change the bulbs, but not in removing the fog light trim piece itself. But I did get a couple pics to show you what I ended up doing.

Cutting the OEM "grill" out is just a matter of removing the honeycombs, but leaving the 1/2 inch inner lip--doesn't have to be a perfect cut, as you can sand down the rough edges. Then I traced out the pattern and cut the grill material about a 1/2 inch or less wider for the attachment points. Attached with small zip ties, and just heated up a small hole punch to burn the holes for the zip ties instead of drilling. You can see the zip ties from the back, but they don't show through the front of the grill at all.:grin2:

Attachments

Discussion starter · #72 ·
Those look good. Hopefully I get to that project in a couple of weekends.

Finally got my Ksport coilovers on and the Mugen's are back on for the summer. If only it wasn't raining. :crying:

Discussion starter · #74 ·
Been forever since I have posted... Mainly because I couldn't edit the front page. But hey it's fixed now so I've updated it.

Greddy Turbo at 45k miles. No smoke (yet). Looking for rebuild options so I'm ready. Ktuner aids were fixed, running on a solid tune.

Car is at 120k. She's growing up so fast.

Planning for a full engine rebuild at 150k. I still have piles of random Z parts everywhere.

Oil change and Heko install day.... I forgot I had these in the pile.:mad:

Also test fit the ASC brace.... Sadly it's not going to work, so back up for sale it goes.

View attachment 59951
when you say its not going to work what was the problem and where abouts is it hitting battery and intake manifold im guessing ?

Discussion starter · #78 ·
It's more frustration than anything. It touches the EG manifold. I can probably add spacers to the top points, could even add a couple spacers and drop the engine 1/8"... But the cowl will have to be cut, which I already knew.

We'll see if I still feel the same about it my next rainy day.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.