Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts
No, painting the tank should be okay. The paint radiator shops used (are there any left anymore?) was a dip process that left a very thin coating to protect the brass and solder from corrosion. Powder coating will be more of a barrier to heat transfer.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Got the radiator back from powdercoat. They rushed it because it's holding up putting the Z back together. So far everything has come in except the hood, it arrives by freight monday and we go to paint.

I hope Defiant approves. ; ;

Also I've been starting to stage a few things for the turbo. Catch can's put together, kinda.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Alrighty we are back in business.

I'm so excited to have the Z back. Only got to drive it home and take a few pictures to post.

Overall cost was 6500$.

The body shop did a fantastic job getting everything together and putting up with my requests. I had them omit the front emblem and fill the indention before paint. Also added a TS seibon hood, mugen grille, and koyo radiator. After comps, its about 600 out of pocket.

But here she is, back home where she belongs.

Nice! Got tuner time already set up? Oh, and what kind of catch can do you have set up? I got one, but never set it up because I didn't like the size/shape, and couldn't decide on proper location. :grin2:

Discussion starter · #57 ·
Since I live in the middle of flyover states, my tuning options are next to nothing. I have an e-tune scheduled for tomorrow. Then will schedule some dyno time with a local American muscle shop to tighten it up.

The catch cans I'm using are unbranded Mishimoto. I donno if they are factory seconds or what, but they are perfect for the Z.

Here's the link:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077GSNDJ2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are literally Mishimoto, I purchased a Mishimoto, then amazon decided to recommend these, I had two of them apart side by side, identical. Just one didn't have branding and was half price. So I sent back the branded and got a second of the knock off. (fairly certain factory second)

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Impressive.

How was the turbo installation? What did you find challenging about it, etc etc
The install itself was not bad at all. I probably invested 30 hours over a weekend doing it in my garage, on jack stands, by myself.

Part of the install was on me with installing catch cans, a beatbrush underpanel and boost gauge along the way. I spent a lot of time preping for the install as well.

I would say the most difficult thing is that the Z is a very small car, and this is a very tight kit. But, it's a very well produced kit, so it fits like a glove.

The other issue that I had was that the instructions are in Japanese, but translated by Kamispeed. It gets the point across, but is not a comprehensive install guide like some people might be used to.

So if you're thinking about this kit and you are not comfortable with installs beyond normal bolt on's then think really hard about how deep you want to delve.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.