Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Redjester's Build Thread

16K views 84 replies 8 participants last post by  RedJester 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been debating creating a build thread for a while. But it has gotten to the point that I need one just to keep track of mods that I have done and mods that I plan to do.

Backstory:

Like a few of the others here my obsession with the Z started with me trying to find a mid-sized economy car for commuting to work. Switching jobs had cost me my company vehicle and given me a 80 mile round trip commute. Needless to say that my 2003 Chevy Silverado (may she R.I.P) was not going to survive the continuous highway time and the 15mpg was going to destroy any incentive for making the job change. So in looking through different passenger cars I came across the Z and this forum. I stalked the guys here and their build threads for about 6 months and decided that I wanted a Z for myself so when a 2014 CBP showed up on a used lot about 30 miles away I was sold.

Here's how she looked the night I brought her home:

2014 Crystal Black Pearl EX-Navi, 6MT, 18,XXXmiles

I had really no intention of modding this car. I loved her, but she is just a commuter. I had the windows tinted 20% front, 5% rear and left it at that.

A year later I have fallen completely into modification madness and there really is no turning back.

Current Exterior:

Current under the hood:

Current Interior:

So here is my list of current mods, future planning is listed in the separate section below. Please feel free to comment, steal ideas, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine / Drivetrain:

• Greddy Turbo w/intercooler, (Intercooler and piping powdercoated vein red over silver flake // Turbo hot side ceramic jet black)
  • Greddy Blow-off Valve
  • Golden Eagle Intake Manifold, (Powdercoated vein red w/silver flake)
  • TD04 Thermal Zero Turbo Blanket
  • Denso IK24 plugs
  • Detschwerks 450cc Injectors
  • Jackson Racing PCV valve
  • Mishimoto Oil Catch Can X2 (PCV and Blow by)
  • Koyorad Aluminum Radiator, (Tanks powdercoated black)
  • Max Bored Stock Throttle Body (54mm), (Painted flat black)
  • Stock Lower manifold, ported and polished, ( Powdercoated vein red w/silver flake)
  • HKS Hi-powered silent midpipe
  • Ark Performance axle-back
  • Ark Performance Secondary High Flow Cat
  • Optima D51R Yellow Top
  • GFB-III Boost Controller
  • K-Tuner Tuned
Suspension / Wheels / Breaks:

• Ksport Coilovers - Kontrol Pro System
  • Progress Rear Sway Bar
  • Megan Racing front fender brace, (Powdercoated vein red w/silver flake) **Don't judge, it was free
  • Spacers - 20mm Front / 25mm Rear
  • Mugen GP 17x7s (Powdercoated gloss black)
  • Nitto Neo Gen All-Season Tire - 225/45R17 94Z
  • Nordman 5 Winter Tires - 195/55R16 On Stock Rims.
Exterior:

• Mugen ZF2 Grille
  • Seibon TS Hood
  • Heko Visors
  • Beatbrush Underpanel (Powdercoated gloss black)
  • Diode Dynamics, Hi-Beam HID Kit (6000k)
  • Diode Dynamics, Fog HID Kit (6000k)
  • Diode Dynamics, Switchback kit (6000k)
  • KMoon Wiper Delete
  • Taillight "eyeliner" mod
Interior:

• CWest Triple Gauge Pod (Refinished textured black)
  • Custom A-Beam Triple Gauge Pod
  • Prosport JDM Style Gauges:
    • Wideband A/F
    • Boost (PSI)
    • Oil Pressure
    • Oil Temp
    • Water Temp
    • Exhaust Temp
  • Full Doors / Hatch / Rear seat sound deadened and CCF installed
  • Polk Audio upgrade
    • 6.5" 650 Components
    • 6.5" 651s Slim mount rears
    • Stock Amplifier Bi-pass
    • JL 700w/5ch Amp
    • Slim mount Subwoofer upgrade
    • Pioneer 8" 700w Sub
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of super sad items waiting to be installed:

• Custom ASC Speedmetal Engine Brace
  • Kansai Service Rear Strut Bar
  • Litz's Vented Fog Light Garnish Mod - In Progress
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Planned / Future Mods: (No set order)

• Clazzio Seat Covers
  • Spoon FSB

See less See more
#2 ·
"- Megan Racing front fender brace, (Powdercoated vein red w/silver flake) **Don't judge, it was free"

Don't judge? bah some of us would spend money on one even though we know it wont add much/anything

Any chance you have dyno ideas about what the car is currently making HP and TQ? It looks like you've done a decent bit there.

#3 ·
Haha, I like the brace, although it didn't seem like it felt much different when I installed it (but I could tell some difference) so in my humble opinion worth it. Was a package deal with the blf, which is why I called it free.

I'm currently trying to find a dyno locally that I can use as a pre and post turbo tune. I've located one but I've just not had the time to nail them down on some dyno time to see where I am at now.

I will say that I installed my TB / ported intake and fit GE8 plenum in the same weekend, and after an idle re-learn on the ECU, I could feel a difference in the mid-range torque and throttle response, but I really want numbers to see.

Normal felt between normal and sport... and sport might as well just be on the floor.

#4 ·
Been a while since I updated this. Since my last posting, I've added the high flow ark secondary cat, and both gauge pods with associated gauges. But mainly fixed the stupid photobucket links.

Next major upgrade will be the turbo when it gets in, along with a tune.

But while I wait on the boat, a few minor wishlist items will be checked.

Also if Litz would ever hand over his secret for engine bay shrouds, that would be fantastic.

#5 ·
...Also if Litz would ever hand over his secret for engine bay shrouds, that would be fantastic.
Only if you hand over the secret to your A-pillar gauge pod! :)

#7 ·
I think I remember you mentioning that you were going to teach yourself how to fiberglass a while back, and thought I should do the same (with my engine covers, as templates.) Glad to see that you've actually followed through--looks great. ...Maybe, I'll have to do the same, but I'm in the same boat as you were before you started, and just need to learn by doing. :wink2:

#12 ·
Here are the additional photos of the pod Litz.

You can see a few of the defects where I attached the pod to the pillar trim. Mainly air bubbles that I didn't get filled correctly.

I'll probably refinish them at some point, but for now I'm just giving them a good test run.

I also took advantage of some black friday sales... New toys in bound!

#9 ·
When I was working with fiberglass for my added attachment points for the center gauge pod and the seibon hood vent inserts, all I was saying was "Holy crap, that's setting too fast!":frown2:

#11 ·
Oh, so now they're like Fieros. Gosh, that's swell. Maybe the front fenders don't have a seam to delaminate across anymore.

No, I could never consider a Corvette, despite their few bargain points. But there's that bow-tie thing. I can't surmount my bigotry.

National Geographic have a series on building the supercars, touring the factories. The Ferrari plant has trees and stuff inside, because the cars are going to be used around stuff like that when they hit the road. Of course, every last thing is spotless, three times as clean as any house I've ever lived in. Cleaner than my hospitals, come to think of it.

They went to the Corvette factory, and the place looked like an steel mill. Filthy, dark, cruddy, depressing. The were welding up a frame, and the welder asks a crew member if he'd like to try a pass. Some poor sucker out there had a Vette welded together by a cameraman. God, shoot me.

And the sinkhole under the Corvette Museum is an irony I don't even know how to address. Deeper meanings, perhaps.

#16 ·
I agree. It concerns me a bit.

This shouldn't blow up in my face though... First attempt at vinyl wrapping. Fabricated the cover since the old cover didn't clear the new sub.

Still not decided if I like it or not... Should have used more adhesive promoter as it wants to pull up.

Might try again later.

#19 ·
Ooooh, that's a bad one. I hope you at least get the deer meat out of the deal. The only one I ever hit (or IT hit me,) just ran off into the woods. :crying:

#20 ·
Mine ran into the woods, I think.. It was dark and heavy traffic and the Z was still drive-able, so I just limped her home. I may go back by tomorrow and see if there is one in the ditch. Hit it at about 50mph, was on a blind hill and it just appeared, was be tailgated so I didn't lock them up. (I specifically remember thinking, "This dick better be in a hurry cause I can't see his ****ing grille... oh **** a deer")

Either way... I either get a Seibon hood earlier than planned, or I get to search for a new Z... Hopefully not a new Z.

We had a date this weekend too... New plugs, valve adjustment, oil change.

Not to mention the ksport coilovers sitting in the corner of the garage next to the progress sway bar and the greddy turbo kit that arrives next week...

Super sad. ; ;

#26 ·
(I specifically remember thinking, "This dick better be in a hurry cause I can't see his ****ing grille... oh **** a deer")
Damage similar to my crash (the lawyers are still fiddling, so no real details, yet) although I'd been rear-ended twice to cause the front end damage.

My first crash was a stinking deer. I still hate them for it. They can totally louse up a good mountain run.

Glad the facebombs didn't blind and burn you (or launch those pillar gauges).

#21 ·
Yeah, about the same situation with my deer hit (with the Insight, not CR-Z,) but he hit it in the side--fender/driver's door...glass shattered all over the place. I hope they get it fixed up like new, and you're back on the road soon--with a new turbo during the down time, too!:wink2:

#22 ·
Only damage on the side was the passenger side view... didn't even push that fender into the door... I think the megan brace actually saved some of my internals by keeping the fender from completely folding back and keeping the hood from slamming into the engine.

I'm really concerned about where the radiator attaches though, it's bent really bad. Although the crash bar and associated frame looks alright, at least in the dark.

Here's hoping for just cosmetic damage and a new Seibon hood paint matched CBP! :beer::beer::beer::beer:

#25 · (Edited)
#24 ·
I'll drink to that! :beer::beer::beer:
I was thinking, if the radiator got hit, you might also have a hit to some of the A/C plumbing, but nice to know the door didn't get hit/bent, so I hope it's all mostly superficial. Either way, it'll get fixed and back on the road, but that wasn't much solace for me when mine had to go into the body shop at the time, sadly. All that time in the body shop, I was thinking it'll never be the same, and I'll still end up with a car that was "wrecked." Truth is, after I saw the car back together again, those notions went away, and I came to my senses and realized that every new part was NEW, and along with that, they fixed the other little nicks/chips that I'd never have gotten fixed otherwise. Yeah, a Seibon hood would look good on that, about now.:wink2:

#27 ·
I'll post some underhood photos later but I got it open.... Makes me nervous.

However, I also doubled down on making myself feel bad and made a list of stuff sitting in my garage (or in shipping) that was waiting to go on when winter is over:

- Greddy turbo kit
- Detschwerks 450cc Injectors
- Denso IK22 plugs
- Mishimoto Oil Catch Can
- Ktuner
- Ksport Coilovers - Kontrol Pro System
- Kansai Service rear Strut Bar
- Progress Rear Sway Bar
- Beatbrush Underpanel
- Mugen ZF2 Grille
- Heko Visors

But I also decided, totaled or not, she will be rebuilt or replaced. So I will stay in the Z family.

#28 ·
While the car is in the shop if any of the parts you wanted to add would replace parts that are now damaged you can save money by putting on the parts you have rather than having new OE parts put on then remove them later. It will lower how much money the insurance company puts out and may prevent a total.:nerd:

#29 ·
Here is some pain.

I've never been one for deer hunting... I'm not against it, just my family does not do it, so i've never done it asides out with friends in high school.

However; my wife and I recently purchased some land to build our house on... it's in the country, and there is deer sign everywhere.... My revenge will be decades long.

#35 ·
My Hit and run with front bumper, air bag sensor, wheel well and drivers fender was a little higher than that but not by much. Till car is taken apart you will not know everything that has to be replaced. My air bag fender sensor and wheel well and some other hidden parts were a surprise.

#36 · (Edited)
Welp, final estimate came in at just shy of $7,000.

But it's covered and she will live again.

Now it's just a waiting game. Three weeks before I get her back.

In the meantime. The insurance gave me some pretty decent comps, so I took advantage of getting a hood and radiator half off.

Seibon TS style CF hood and Koyo Racing radiator ordered.

(I wanted the VSII, but it's 12 weeks out.) This one was half off, I think I'll live.

#38 ·
...Seibon TS style CF hood and Koyo Racing radiator ordered.

(I wanted the VSII, but it's 12 weeks out.) This one was half off, I think I'll live.
Well, that seems to be working out just dandy. Let them know I had to do some trimming to the points of the TS, to keep it from rubbing on the cowl while opening/closing--hope yours fits a little better than mine (without having to trim some spots.) :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.