Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Unfortunately, I am not knowledgeable in this area. Maybe someone else can chime in, but I would err on the side of caution. It might need more of a tear down than just the head. It is a known issue that the spark plugs do loosen and issues occur. The part that is missing can cause major engine damage depending on where it ended up.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
P0303 code

Spark plugs loose

PSA: If you smell exhaust/fuel in the cabin

Fuel smell in cabin and engine compartment?

Advice from P303 thread missing ground electrode: "avoid running this engine any further and first endoscope the cylinder to see if that piece is still in there; if so attempt extraction (vacuum/magnets) and inspect for damage to every surface inside the cylinder. If no obvious serious damage then compression test. If you're lucky it eroded over time (could be a couple issues) or if it was a solid chunk off somehow got shot out the exhaust before extensive damage..."

Edit: is that a mechanic showing those plugs to you or is this friend/family DIY work?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Ummmm that missing part can't exit the valve opening, it is far larger than the valve can open. So part or all of it is still in the cylinder.

The plug that is is still whole looks like it was loose as well with all the carbon staining on the crush washer and hex.

What brand and model are those plugs? The markings on the ceramic don't look like Denso or NGK. They also don't look like the correct iridium plugs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
P0303 code

Spark plugs loose

PSA: If you smell exhaust/fuel in the cabin

Fuel smell in cabin and engine compartment?

Advice from P303 thread missing ground electrode: "avoid running this engine any further and first endoscope the cylinder to see if that piece is still in there; if so attempt extraction (vacuum/magnets) and inspect for damage to every surface inside the cylinder. If no obvious serious damage then compression test. If you're lucky it eroded over time (could be a couple issues) or if it was a solid chunk off somehow got shot out the exhaust before extensive damage..."

Edit: is that a mechanic showing those plugs to you or is this friend/family DIY work?
Professional mechanic.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Um guy its a quote from the other thread where you were like there's strong chance there's damage. The main point being to scope inside the cylinder first and inspect for damage as step one, you know, like actually offering some course of action instead of just gloom and doomer-ing them.

If you haven't actually seen this first hand at least search the issue and you'll find a plethora of examples where whole sections of spark plugs are inexplicably missing, all makes and models, the cylinders were inspected and no damage found, because the components were burned off over time. So lets go with the least Chicken Little response and offer a ray of hope and suggest the least invasive, minimal cost steps for verification first.

Or we can all start being the typical scumbag mechanics around here and defaulting to the worst case scenario every time 'yep, that's fucked gonna need a new engine $5,000 k bye'. ::smugly wipes hands:: hell yeah totally ruined that random internet strangers day/week/month/year.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
If you can't help or have direct experience, then how about just read and not respond? I at least confirmed to not drive it till it is confirmed what happened and where the parts ended up to prevent more damage and is what I would do in the same situation. Flat bed tow and someone with the skills and equipment to confirm the damage and then and only then come up with a plan of repair.

Professional mechanic.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Are you sure that piece is not still in the engine and causing damage to your piston(s)? That sounds kind of lazy to me. You were perfectly justified to be concerned that is a big piece and can cause major damage. Did he use a borescope or other device to look, or did he just change the plugs and wires? He could have just changed the plugs, the wires were probably fine. Or did he change the coils too? We have coil on plug technology.
The mechanic just replaced the spark plugs and wires and its good to go. I was wrong to panic. All good...

·
Registered
501 Posts
I hope he didn't sell you wires, there aren't any with coil-on-plug (well just the low voltage connections to the coil and those don't get replaced unless something damages them).
I agree that missing bit had to go somewhere. It would still be worth doing a compression and leakdown test to verify the condition of that cylinder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts