Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had the CRZ for a few weeks. Got some rain and I noticed that when I run the rear wiper, the rubber blade part seems to slide down an inch or two (inward toward the pivot point, if I remember correctly). So the next time I get out of the car I push it back to centered. This is annoying obviously; my bigger concern is that if it slides too far, the non-rubber part of the wiper arm will strike the glass.

Am I missing some piece that's supposed to keep the rubber blade from sliding?

Front wipers are fine, FYI. Can take photos but not sure what I'm looking for. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,643 Posts
You need a new blade something is bent it should click into the "J" and lock. If it is the refill sliding out it also should lock some blades have a clip to keep the "refill" in place. I replaced my rear blade and ever since it lifts at the upper outer most end :frown2: I will be replacing with a beam type to see if I can make it useful. I am due for blades all the way around ( will be second replacement set since I bought the car in 2013) will replace the two air filters at same time probably by a Rock Auto order like last time. Thank you for the reminder.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I use the honda refill blades, and the only time this sort of thing happened to me it was because a piece of the wind shield cover on the blade had broken off and every time I was driving and trying to use the wiper it would streak since the blade couldn't sit flat on the windows.

So, I had to replace the whole blade / refill.

Rear window:

Front Window:

I will take a look at mine when I go outside today and see if I notice anything strange. Can you take a picture of yours? maybe some attention to detail where the blade locks in, or where the refill sits?

A whole new blade is probably around $25 with the blade / refill. I paid that for my front one at the local dealership.

Edit: it could be that the refill blade is in upside down too? Possibly?

·
Premium Member
8,643 Posts
I have gotten better ones for like $13 from Rock Auto. If you shop around there are lots of options from OEM to beam to hybrids.
I use the honda refill blades, and the only time this sort of thing happened to me it was because a piece of the wind shield cover on the blade had broken off and every time I was driving and trying to use the wiper it would streak since the blade couldn't sit flat on the windows.

So, I had to replace the whole blade / refill.

Rear window:

Front Window:

I will take a look at mine when I go outside today and see if I notice anything strange. Can you take a picture of yours? maybe some attention to detail where the blade locks in, or where the refill sits?

A whole new blade is probably around $25 with the blade / refill. I paid that for my front one at the local dealership.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have gotten better ones for like $13 from Rock Auto. If you shop around there are lot sof options from OEM to beam to hybrids.
Yeah, I'm not sure why I keep buying the honda refills, but, i guess its just because I want to keep things OEM in terms of the wiper blades. I definitely feel like getting some better fronts though, but, they just cost a lot around here. Or at least in the local stores. Like $25 for good ones, each!

·
Premium Member
8,643 Posts
I used to be you but even Honda does not make them they are what is called private branded. Look at the selection on Rock Auto ( No connection other than a happy customer for years). You will save a lot of money which you can spend on other Modifications!>:)

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
$14 for a pair of Honda inserts

11 12 13 2013 HONDA CRZ CR-Z FRONT RUBBER WIPER BLADE INSET SET OEM | eBay

Be sure that when you go to work on wipers that you lay a folded towel on the windshield under the contact area of the arm when you take the blades out. The Z windshield is very expensive.

If you've not done blade replacement with the Honda style separate stiffeners, check the YouTubes on the job. Not really tough, just a bit of knack, and fussy the first time you try it.

Replacement, generic blades and holders can be iffy for contact and coverage. And Rain-X while you're at it.

As for the rear, I've never understood why a car needs a wiper on its roof. But I've not gotten around to the delete, yet.

·
Don't abuse the report button
2,411 Posts
I used to be you but even Honda does not make them they are what is called private branded. Look at the selection on Rock Auto ( No connection other than a happy customer for years). You will save a lot of money which you can spend on other Modifications!>:)
which ones do you buy? I usually get the refills because they are only $18 all around at my local dealer, and the car had some rain-X blades when I got it, which didn't make adequate contact across the blade.

I bought the replacement blades for about $50, then I've spent $35 on Refills over the past year... but if there's a cheaper option that is still pretty good, I'm open to it.

·
Premium Member
8,643 Posts
which ones do you buy? I usually get the refills because they are only $18 all around at my local dealer, and the car had some rain-X blades when I got it, which didn't make adequate contact across the blade.

I bought the replacement blades for about $50, then I've spent $35 on Refills over the past year... but if there's a cheaper option that is still pretty good, I'm open to it.
I bought the lowest cost beam type they had. The issue with Rock Auto is what they have changes so you need to go with what is there when you are shopping as they have deals and promotions. They have different levels like OEM, Economy etc.

Here is their link for my year:
2013 HONDA CR-Z 1.5L L4 ELECTRIC/GAS Wiper Blade | RockAuto

Price is is from $1.30 to $18.00 per blade/refill. ( not including shipping) I always order as much as I need from them as possible in one order( hint air filters) and try to stay to one of their ware houses to save shipping.

·
Registered
593 Posts
all that holds the OEM blade in place is a small detent on end of the blade. if the rubber around this area is worn, there is literally nothing else holding it aside from friction.

if the wiper arm does not appear to be damaged, you can simply get a refill and follow the instructions listed in the previous responses here.

the OEM wiper replacements generally work very well (non-3rd party) but usually start to show streaks after a year or a season of heavy use.

even with light use, the wiper will deteriorate over time due to temperature and weather.

·
Premium Member
8,643 Posts
all that holds the OEM blade in place is a small detent on end of the blade. if the rubber around this area is worn, there is literally nothing else holding it aside from friction.

if the wiper arm does not appear to be damaged, you can simply get a refill and follow the instructions listed in the previous responses here.

the OEM wiper replacements generally work very well (non-3rd party) but usually start to show streaks after a year or a season of heavy use.

even with light use, the wiper will deteriorate over time due to temperature and weather.
Where you say arm above I think you mean blade.:dunno:

·
Registered
593 Posts
^that's correct.

wiper blade would indeed be the part specifically holding the (rubber) blade in place. i can see how this would be misleading as i was referring to the wiper arm assembly as whole, but traditionally these are two parts as you noted.

·
Premium Member
6,279 Posts

I'm not sure what brand of blades I have right now (not Rain-X, though,) but I always treat the outside glass with Rain-X, and the rain water just beads right off--faster than the wipers could sweep it off. Faster you go, the faster it clears; downpours & Rain-X with wipers on intermittent clears the view tremendously.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
8,643 Posts
I'm not sure what brand of blades I have right now (not Rain-X, though,) but I always treat the outside glass with Rain-X, and the rain water just beads right off--faster than the wipers could sweep it off. Faster you go, the faster it clears; downpours & Rain-X with wipers on intermittent clears the view tremendously.:grin2:
Next nice day is glass cleaning day for The Speed Bump. Blades are streaking, inside glass needs its usual spring cleaning and I really don't want to replace the refills and or blades again!0:)

Speaking of wiper blades they can be cleaned with either invisible glass, alcohol or ammonia and the streaking stops for a while.

There used to be a tool that would let you trim the blade of the dead material and extend the life of the blades. I always thought it was cheaper to replace the refills.>:)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
There used to be a tool that would let you trim the blade of the dead material and extend the life of the blades. I always thought it was cheaper to replace the refills.>:)
Indeed and its still cheaper to replace the wiper than to replace the windshield. In the southwest its always funny to see trash cans outside auto parts stores overflowing with wiper packaging after the first rain in a long time. Everyone finds out at the wrong time that their wipers disintegrated in the hot sun.

Windshield scratches from bad wipers.

Don't understand the shunning of rain-x wipers though, old wipers are old wipers regardless of brand and should probably be replaced once a year. If its a used car purchase just replace them before the above happens.

The Rain-X Weatherbeaters run $5-10 each but comes as a whole new blade assembly. I've been using them on every vehicle for more than 10 years and as a bonus if one doesn't have the time to apply actual rain-x the wipers do it for you. Its Bosch that should be avoided but you can't convince euro fanboys that they're terrible because everything has to be euro.

·
Premium Member
8,643 Posts
My Favorite is people like a relative of mine who never cleans the glass or the wiper blades and wonders why she can't see in sun or rain!>:)

When you clean the glass, clean the blades and I think the rain-x blades say to replace very 6 months or so.:nerd:

Indeed and its still cheaper to replace the wiper than to replace the windshield. In the southwest its always funny to see trash cans outside auto parts stores overflowing with wiper packaging after the first rain in a long time. Everyone finds out at the wrong time that their wipers disintegrated in the hot sun.

Windshield scratches from bad wipers.

Don't understand the shunning of rain-x wipers though, old wipers are old wipers regardless of brand and should probably be replaced once a year. If its a used car purchase just replace them before the above happens.

The Rain-X Weatherbeaters run $5-10 each but comes as a whole new blade assembly. I've been using them on every vehicle for more than 10 years and as a bonus if one doesn't have the time to apply actual rain-x the wipers do it for you. Its Bosch that should be avoided but you can't convince euro fanboys that they're terrible because everything has to be euro.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took a close look and think my insert just doesn't have the little detent at one end. Perhaps the previous owner used a non-OEM one or somehow cut a longer one to size, or something weird like that. I found a Youtube video from a CR-V (which uses the same insert for one of its front blades) which shows the detent more clearly:
I will try buying a new OEM insert 76632-STK-A02 (right?) and installing that.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
593 Posts
looks like a detent should be there, but if it's installed backwards, or is worn, it will definitely pop loose.

also, for those who don't want the hassle of applying rain-x or similar products, rain-x makes a windshield washer fluid additive that you just add to your windshield fluid reservoir (or premix if you prefer).

·
Premium Member
8,643 Posts
looks like a detent should be there, but if it's installed backwards, or is worn, it will definitely pop loose.

also, for those who don't want the hassle of applying rain-x or similar products, rain-x makes a windshield washer fluid additive that you just add to your windshield fluid reservoir (or premix if you prefer).
You should still wash the glass properly first there is nothing worse than badly applied Rain-x using this method.:|

·
Premium Member
6,279 Posts
...also, for those who don't want the hassle of applying rain-x or similar products, rain-x makes a windshield washer fluid additive that you just add to your windshield fluid reservoir (or premix if you prefer).
I think I've used all three Rain-X products at the same time...windshield washer fluid, applied Rain-X to the glass, and wiper blades. I'm addicted.>:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.