Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
I was thinking of buying some H&R wheel spacers for the rear wheels. I think the way the rear fenders come out makes the wheels look too in. What kind of handling woes will this bring me?
Pushing the rears out by up to 25mm (1") will likely induce a bit of understeer, but nothing dramatic.

The one thing to make certain about is the proper torque on the lugs holding the spacers, and take the wheels off in a month or so and check the torque on the spacers again. The mistake some people make is inadequately attaching the spacers and they loosen up over time or overly tightening the spacers and they warp the rotors.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I added 1" spacers on the rear of mine, with the Mugen wheels on. Great find for only $59 shipped. They are actually pretty nice

When you installed these spacers, did you do a rotation check. I've seen some YouTube videos where the wheel wobbles because it's not a perfect symmetrical rotation.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
My cousin- the mechanic- put them on. The first thing I asked after he installed them was if there was any vibration or shaking. None that we've noticed. I've heard stories of having to go a certain speed so the car wouldn't shake. It honestly feels factory like- no wobble, shaking, vibration, etc....

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
I have the Honda 17" tires with H&R DRM 20mm Spacers. Had on since Jan.. No problems.. Here's a Pic. It is also lowered with Eibachs..

If on stock 16"s may be able to bring out 25mm. But have not seen anyone do the 25mm, yet.

Edit: Also interested in Romie's wheels. The standard wheels advertised are 17 and look to be the same as the Honda 17 upgrade. But those look like 18"?

Here are the standard Mugen Specs.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/crz/2011/mugen_kit.pdf

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Yea that's what I'm unsure about, I'm gonna take some measurements when I get from work. They won't be accurate, but I just need a rough idea
This might help..

·
Registered
780 Posts
I personally would go with the H&R spacers for the car. 20mm worked about perfect on my car, 25mm may be about right on stock offset.

Here is the PN for the 20mm that I got: 4065700

As far as the others out there, I would NEVER buy any that don't have built in hubcentric rings. The ones posted above can become dangerous because only the bolts are centering them. I did the research when I got mine and H&R is about the only good company out there. Sure you spend twice as much on them, but when safety of you, your passenger, and others on the road is important, the extra $50 should not be a problem, or a question.

If you need some H&R's for your car let me know, I can get them for you. I sell them.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
The wheels are jus the standard Mugen 17x7's- I don't know why they might look bigger?! I lowered it with the Tein HighTech springs, dropping it nominally, but "just enough". To be honest, I've never used spacers before. I have a bunch of other wheel/tire combos in the garage right now, including 3 sets if 15x8's w/0 or 25 offsets, so I never needed spacers.
That being said, I wouldn't mind having the H&R's. I understand what Redefined said about safety and the reputation that H&R have ( if you want to give me a quote, I might even switch them out!), but these wheels are temporary. I'm looking for a set of forged 17's. The cast Mugens are WAY to heavy and might be one of the reason my MPG is so low. I found a set of the Mugen GP that came off the Civic a few years ago, so they are an option. The spacers on there now, including the wheels, will be off in a few months regardless. If I ever felt unsafe or concerned, they'd be off in a heartbeat, too

·
Registered
106 Posts
I personally would go with the H&R spacers for the car. 20mm worked about perfect on my car, 25mm may be about right on stock offset.

Here is the PN for the 20mm that I got: 4065700

As far as the others out there, I would NEVER buy any that don't have built in hubcentric rings. The ones posted above can become dangerous because only the bolts are centering them. I did the research when I got mine and H&R is about the only good company out there. Sure you spend twice as much on them, but when safety of you, your passenger, and others on the road is important, the extra $50 should not be a problem, or a question.

If you need some H&R's for your car let me know, I can get them for you. I sell them.
That def makes sense. I'll pm you whenever I decide I want to get them, I think I might stick with the 20mm though.
Oh and thanks for that vid Scotty :thumbsup:

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
@ the last two posts ..

Some Spacers - you replace the studs - others like the Hub centric - fit on top of your current studs and have their own...

How To Install :: trakplus.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my opinion, go with Motorsports Tech. Made in the US, they use very high quality materials and
they are made to order. Give them a call, tell them the look or stance you're going for and they'll
give you advice on safe or aggressive setups (whichever you ask for). Don't go cheap on things
that matter. That being said, these aren't that expensive. Around $120-$150 for a pair is very
reasonable.

Also get "adapters" not spacers. Incorrect terminology is used when people throw the word "spacer"
out there. In a nutshell, a spacer does not have extended studs, which is why people don't consider
anything above 5mm+ safe. You run out of stud.

Motorsports Tech Adapters are wheel centric and hub centric so the chances of vibrations are
almost impossible. Just be sure to get an alignment/wheel balanced after installation.

"Adapters" are what everyone in this thread is referring to. They have extended studs which can
be used to keep your OEM stud length, extend your stud length if you're going wide (20-30mm+),
or to change the bolt pattern of your car.

I don't own a CR-Z, but I plan on purchasing one for my sister in the coming months. Thought I'd
just share my experiences with spacers and adapters. I've gone through 12 sets now.

http://www.stanceworks.com/2011/08/adaptec-speedware/

·
Registered
166 Posts
I put the H&R spacers on my CR-Z, I ended up with 5mm in the front and 15 mm in the rear, they both had replacement studs. I like the look of the wheel placement a lot better now with the H&R springs which dropped it 1.3 inches.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.