Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 PWP Base MT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a way to replace just the bushing on the rear torsion beam?

I know it's been asked before and I've tried searching the forums, but I can't seem to find an answer for an actual solution to this. I found these and was wondering if anyone knew if they'd fit on our cars:

Honda jazz rear trailing arm bushings

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, my thoughts are that the beam has its own part number, so just about anything can be different. I think the main difference is the brakes/hub, though. In any case, getting the old ones out will be such messy job, that you may as well prepare to modify the next bushings; either shaving down or adding a layer of polyurethane. Of course there's always the chance you can just put some window weld in there and go about your business. In any case, until one of takes the beam out documents it thoroughly, it'll be guess work.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The rear axle beam rubber bushes have become a growing problem for G1 Insight owners as the cars are at least 5 years older than CR-Z's.
But we can expect the same issue to develop in the CR-Z.

The rubber bushes themselves are not available from Honda, it's a complete $1500 beam.... :rolleyes:

Some people (including me) have salvaged good OEM ones from low mileage cars and fitted them.
Some people have used poly bushes but IIRC that can give a harsher ride.
Some have machined down specific VW rubber bushes that then fit.

Lots of searchable discussion on www.Insightcentral.net

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
There's a company making urethane bushings. they've been recommended by a few people on the CRZ facebook page.

so the beam itself is the same. the assembly part number is different because of things like spring perches, vibration dampers etc.

·
Registered
2015 PWP Base MT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In any case, getting the old ones out will be such messy job, that you may as well prepare to modify the next bushings; either shaving down or adding a layer of polyurethane. Of course there's always the chance you can just put some window weld in there and go about your business.
Since I was unsure about replacing just the bushing, I ended up buying a used beam for a good price and am planning to do this exactly. The bushing problem seems to occur frequently enough that I figured I might as well reinforce it with some polyurethane so I don't have to worry about this again. Hopefully.

·
Registered
2015 PWP Base MT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a company making urethane bushings. they've been recommended by a few people on the CRZ facebook page.

so the beam itself is the same. the assembly part number is different because of things like spring perches, vibration dampers etc.
If you had posted this a couple days earlier I might have really considered getting these. Have people reported any additional nvh with urethane bushings?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If you had posted this a couple days earlier I might have really considered getting these. Have people reported any additional nvh with urethane bushings?
there is always an NVH increase when you trade rubber bushings for urethane.

The ones that I've seen on facebook have reported a more planted rear-end feel that outweighs the NVH increase - which matches my experience with the Powerflex front lower control arm bushings.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I've seen the Fit owners operate on this bushing without dropping the entire beam, unbolted and lowered just enough for room to press out/in (the screw together with giant ratchets kind of press) and also filling the bushings with the old-school 'window weld' method (3M windshield glue or equivalent, ye old motor mount upgrade).

Honda kind of pricks for not making replacement bushings for much of the suspension arms on their newer cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts