Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

During a B1 maintenance I had done a couple of weeks ago, the Honda dealership discovered that the rear suspension is leaking. They said the issue is "just starting," and is not yet severe enough to warrant immediate action, but they quoted the repair at around $500 including labor.

The car is at about 80,000 miles (around 78k at the time of maintenance), so is replacing the suspension something I should have expected to do by now? And does $500 seem like a fair price for the maintenance?

If anyone has recommendations I'd appreciate any advice you have to give. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Well, I'll try again, and see if this time I can get it posted before Comcast sh!ts the bed. Again.

Anyway, I started by saying that I'll call your dealer a weasel, right out loud.

There's no "suspension failure" in the rear of a Z. There's two shock absorbers, each with one bolt at the bottom and one nut at the top. Yours have undoubtedly been properly leaking just a tiny bit of fluid to clean and cool the shaft seals, just as they're supposed to. It can look drastic at 80K, and you've gotten about double the life out of them they were built for.

Ask around and find what alignment shops in town, probably there since the thirties, have the best reputations. Go in and say your need shocks, front and rear (the fronts are cartridges, but they'll understand), probably KYB, and to also look over the front end for anything needing renewal. For the same or less money than the dealer, you will come out with a car that feels brand new. And you will be amazed at the difference.

Hunter's middle name was Stockton, where I dispatched CHP for twenty-five years.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey all,

During a B1 maintenance I had done a couple of weeks ago, the Honda dealership discovered that the rear suspension is leaking. They said the issue is "just starting," and is not yet severe enough to warrant immediate action, but they quoted the repair at around $500 including labor.

The car is at about 80,000 miles (around 78k at the time of maintenance), so is replacing the suspension something I should have expected to do by now? And does $500 seem like a fair price for the maintenance?

If anyone has recommendations I'd appreciate any advice you have to give. Thanks!
$500?!? Wtf! You are getting screwed man!

It took me literally 10 minutes on the ground with a floor jack to get both rear struts out. It's so easy!! 2 bolts and they basically fall out!! You should just do it yourself. Kyb struts or oem struts run like $100/ea. DO NOT pay someone $500.. they are taking advantage of you VERY badly!

Check out YouTube on how to replace, it's so easy. You basically put a floor jack under bottom of strut, unscrew the bolt o bottom, then top and replace. Takes 5 minutes per side. 10 minutes if you also pull the springs out.

Pro tip: use ratcheting wrench on top bolt and a L shaped Allen key. Can't do it any other way!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts