Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon, I went to a shop for Swift springs installation. After they finished the front, then they found out both sides rear struts were leaking. It was a very very bad news to me. The front oem springs had to be put back on so I could take it in for warranty work.

I have my car since 24th August 2010 and it has 9914 miles now. I wonder what break those rear struts. I haven't used this car for loading anything very heavy. I did take it to time attack on an outdoor go kart track. However, it still had stock tyres so I didn't really push it much.
I will take it to dealer tomorrow. Hopefully it is covered under warranty. I will still put Swift springs on after it has been fixed. Now, I am a bit worried that those springs may shorten rear strut's life.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hmm.. Any chance the shop could have somehow messed them up when starting the install? (i dont see how.. just wondering)
Makes me a little nervous about installing my springs. I'm thinking about waiting till I have 10k miles to see how things are holding up, but that'll be about 2 years from now :).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well... the shop is actually a vender on this forum, Evasive. Some local friends tell me that Evasive reputation isn't bad.

I'd suggest everyone who has been to autocross with CR-Z or has pushed it to check up if there's any leaking on yours.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is covered by warranty. Since dealer don't stock parts for CR-Z, I have to wait.
Dealer doesn't know what causes the leak and they will send those struts to Honda.

The ride hasn't changed with leaking rear struts. If Evasive didn't tell, I wouldn't notice.
So far the worst part of this is that I have paid the shop for putting Swift springs on the front and putting OEM back no right after. $120 total, for just knowing rear strut leaking and front bump stop being cut. :cry:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
sorry to hear but theres some good news in that the dealer will replace them.

Evasive is a top notch shop. I wish there was a shop of their caliber close to me. I dont think they had anything to do with it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Evasive Motorsports has top notch reputation in SoCal. they're known in the racing groups around here.

i purchased my SSRs and hankooks from them. VERY reputable speed shop. (they're the one who told me my alignment was whack when i had the rims/tires put on. took 5 trips to honda dealers. and finally got it fixed from an expert alignment shop here - West End.)

hugh and his guys are very knowledable. very strange the rear struts are leaking with so low miles. please keep us informed. i just had the rear cusco sway bar installed - helps alot. was wondering if i have to be worried??

later
dan

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'd suggest everyone who has been to autocross with CR-Z or has pushed it to check up if there's any leaking on yours.
I'm thinking that's the cause, stock parts aren't designed to handle excessive loads continuously. I wouldn't mention it to the dealer they may try to use it against you.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I'm thinking that's the cause, stock parts aren't designed to handle excessive loads continuously. I wouldn't mention it to the dealer they may try to use it against you.
theres a whole class for autocross for stock cars. I cant imagine that stock suspension bits failed that much or else people wouldnt put their cars up. Then again i dont know, just guessing here.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
theres a whole class for autocross for stock cars. I cant imagine that stock suspension bits failed that much or else people wouldnt put their cars up. Then again i dont know, just guessing here.
I know that, that doesn't mean the car manufacturers design the car to do the courses in autoX. Not saying he couldn't have a bad set, but it's just to coincidental.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
id take this opportunity to grab some after market struts :). i haven't looked into it yet so idk if they are available, but once that happens to me ill grab some bilsteins or koni yellow.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I'm waiting at dealer to have it replaced now. I just remember that I have done a couple lift off oversteer... maybe struts can't handle that.
they should 100% be able to handle that. lift oversteer isnt THAT hard on suspension components, its just involves a weight and momentum shift. im still thinking you just got faulty shocks not that all the CRZ stock shocks are weak but im just one man with an opinion not an engineer. I guess we will have to monitor this situation...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
they should 100% be able to handle that. lift oversteer isnt THAT hard on suspension components, its just involves a weight and momentum shift. im still thinking you just got faulty shocks not that all the CRZ stock shocks are weak but im just one man with an opinion not an engineer. I guess we will have to monitor this situation...
Yes, I also think I just have faulty shocks. I'm not good at explaining how my "fun driving" is but with complete stock setup, I can't really do anything crazy. Those rubbers give up easily and early. If it really can't handle my mild "fun driving", I think it actually isn't safe enough and put Honda on shame.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Everything has been fixed under warranty now. I did a non-scientific test. I pressed on rear truck before and after. The result is that it has been softer before and harder to press after. However, there is no difference in daily driving ride quality.
Now, it has Swift springs on. Hope new struts will last longer than the first set.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.