Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So first off I'm a welder and fabricator by trade for over 15 years.

With the way the z is setup it the rear there is no camber or caster adjustment and the factory wheels are way to far in the fenderwells. We all know this and most run spacers or aftermarket wheels to fix the spacing but still can't do anything about camber and caster.

My ideal... Remember I'm a welder and fabricator.... Buy a set of rear bolt on spindles for a Civic or whatever other model. Cut out the spindle of the CRz. Laser cut a steel plate to fit the spindles from the Civic and the outside shape of the CRz rear. Weld the plate to the rear of the CRz and bolt the Civic spindle on. Make a spacer for the rear calipers.

This would effectively solve both problems of camber, caster adjustment (by shimming) and also push the rear wheels out further.

Thoughts?

Looking at this as I'm thinking of doing an all steel wide body on my z and don't really care for the look of supper deep dish wheels. Also thinking of longer axles for the front with custom a arms to push the front wider.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
I have no need/desire to do that with my set-up, and I'm no suspension guru, but if you're going wide body too.... I say, make the idea a reality! :)

Just wondering how much length on each corner you'll be adding. Would that mean you'll have to change the shocks/springs too--for the additional mass/leverage that might change the action of the coilovers? Just a rambling thought, but the wider track on the CR-Z would certainly make it more aggressive looking. I'll need pics of the progress and the finished look after it's done!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Ok. So first off I'm a welder and fabricator by trade for over 15 years.

With the way the z is setup it the rear there is no camber or caster adjustment and the factory wheels are way to far in the fenderwells. We all know this and most run spacers or aftermarket wheels to fix the spacing but still can't do anything about camber and caster.

My ideal... Remember I'm a welder and fabricator.... Buy a set of rear bolt on spindles for a Civic or whatever other model. Cut out the spindle of the CRz. Laser cut a steel plate to fit the spindles from the Civic and the outside shape of the CRz rear. Weld the plate to the rear of the CRz and bolt the Civic spindle on. Make a spacer for the rear calipers.
if you're thinking about using the Civic rear spindle, you should just use the civic rear brakes. they are a direct bolt-on anyway once you remove the dust shield from the rear hub.

I'd be a little concerned about the increased leverage on the suspension mounts under cornering if you extend the axle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thinking 2" to 3" each corner

I don't believe the minimal extra width would be enough to worry about suspension mounts. Not any different then running spacers or big offset wheels

I will start a build thread when I get to a point where I start doing major mods

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thinking 2" to 3" each corner

I don't believe the minimal extra width would be enough to worry about suspension mounts. Not any different then running spacers or big offset wheels

I will start a build thread when I get to a point where I start doing major mods
you'd be surprised how much difference it will make... I'm very interested in seeing your eventual progress on this though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts