Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can only get rear shocks from Honda dealerships,they are asking loads of money. Where best to get shocks?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can only get rear shocks from Honda dealerships,they are asking loads of money. Where best to get shocks?
Yes, I have come across this before also, used parts also fail quickly as I have found so not worth investing in. Not too many other options though as I have found except new via dealer.

·
Super Moderator
6,098 Posts
What about RockAuto.com(https://www.rockauto.com/en/)? did a quick search for my 2013 and found these there:
MONROE 5682 $36.79
GABRIEL G511037 $44.79

Both of these companies are well known brand names and make good products I have used on other cars. I believe they ship internationally too.

Yes, I have come across this before also, used parts also fail quickly as I have found so not worth investing in. Not too many other options though as I have found except new via dealer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was actually just about to ask about this myself after taking my car to be serviced today at the dealership. It is the first service I have done since buying it last year, and I'm essentially going by the maintenance minder A1 message; I've put maybe 3500 - 4000 miles on it in that time with a trip up and back down the grapevine accounting for most of them .

I had a ppi done on it at purchase, and it didn't have any issues, so I was more than mildly surprised that the service fella told me that the driver rear shock was leaking and would be about $400 to replace... When I asked if that wasn't a little unusual (for a Honda, anyway) at only 40k miles, he mumbled something about being "driven hard" and "older cars" (a 2013?? I never had anything like that even on my 24 year old civic, which was stolen and gutted even at 24 years old with @155K miles on it, and the first part that went on that was my clutch at about 90K, nor my mother's '95 Integra which she still drives now without needing more than hose replaced...)

So is Honda slacking off on the quality in the new millennium, or was this another example of reasons not to use the service department at the "stealership"? ? I was already skeptical about this guy's honesty when he tried to upsell me into an intermediate level service instead of a minor one, essentially adding a transmission fluid change along with air and cabin filter (for the low low price of four-hundred-some-kind-of-absurd dollars! ) Hard PASS, thank you very much...

I decided to go there for at least the first service I did, in case there was something to look out for since I am new to hybrids, but I feel like the shock leak costing about the exact same amount as the service he tried to sell me wasn't an organic coincidence. Is there a commission/kickback increase at the $400 threshold or something?
Intermediate service usually due at SIXTY thousand miles, isn't it? Not quite to 40,000 yet is not appropriate timing if a minor service is called for around 30K, and I don't believe the previous owner skipped anything routine. He had already done the airbag recall, and kept it up quite well.

My instincts are telling me he saw a customer in a dress and thought I might not know any better ("because, like, it's CAR stuff, ya know?..."?). I got a strong whiff of manure when he said Honda recommend transmission fluid change at EVERY 30K?? What?! And the paperwork says the service refused but suggested was "AUTOMATIC transmission fluid change" when it's 6MT?...

How likely is it this service tech was full of it? One leaky shock absorber is not a thing I've ever heard of in any car we've owned.

One chance to make a first impression, and the one I got was that the cliche about dealerships being a ripoff ain't too far from the truth. Future work on my CRZ will be done in my own driveway, the jiffy lube, or honest family shop via a referral, but probably not at Airport Marina Honda service dept...

·
Super Moderator
6,098 Posts
I was actually just about to ask about this myself after taking my car to be serviced today at the dealership. It is the first service I have done since buying it last year, and I'm essentially going by the maintenance minder A1 message; I've put maybe 3500 - 4000 miles on it in that time with a trip up and back down the grapevine accounting for most of them .

I had a ppi done on it at purchase, and it didn't have any issues, so I was more than mildly surprised that the service fella told me that the driver rear shock was leaking and would be about $400 to replace... When I asked if that wasn't a little unusual (for a Honda, anyway) at only 40k miles, he mumbled something about being "driven hard" and "older cars" (a 2013?? I never had anything like that even on my 24 year old civic, which was stolen and gutted even at 24 years old with @155K miles on it, and the first part that went on that was my clutch at about 90K, nor my mother's '95 Integra which she still drives now without needing more than hose replaced...)

So is Honda slacking off on the quality in the new millennium, or was this another example of reasons not to use the service department at the "stealership"? ? I was already skeptical about this guy's honesty when he tried to upsell me into an intermediate level service instead of a minor one, essentially adding a transmission fluid change along with air and cabin filter (for the low low price of four-hundred-some-kind-of-absurd dollars! ) Hard PASS, thank you very much...

I decided to go there for at least the first service I did, in case there was something to look out for since I am new to hybrids, but I feel like the shock leak costing about the exact same amount as the service he tried to sell me wasn't an organic coincidence. Is there a commission/kickback increase at the $400 threshold or something?
Intermediate service usually due at SIXTY thousand miles, isn't it? Not quite to 40,000 yet is not appropriate timing if a minor service is called for around 30K, and I don't believe the previous owner skipped anything routine. He had already done the airbag recall, and kept it up quite well.

My instincts are telling me he saw a customer in a dress and thought I might not know any better ("because, like, it's CAR stuff, ya know?..."?). I got a strong whiff of manure when he said Honda recommend transmission fluid change at EVERY 30K?? What?! And the paperwork says the service refused but suggested was "AUTOMATIC transmission fluid change" when it's 6MT?...

How likely is it this service tech was full of it? One leaky shock absorber is not a thing I've ever heard of in any car we've owned.

One chance to make a first impression, and the one I got was that the cliche about dealerships being a ripoff ain't too far from the truth. Future work on my CRZ will be done in my own driveway, the jiffy lube, or honest family shop via a referral, but probably not at Airport Marina Honda service dept...
A single shock can fail but that is an unusual case and a quick check ( push corner of car down and count how many times car bounces when let go and compare to other 3 corners). I have had OEM shocks on most of my cars for well over 100K miles. I did have a single shock fail but that was due to car being hit.

That is a common scam I had a brand new car( Many years ago not a Honda) with less than 3000 miles on it in a shop for something and they told me it needed shocks( car had digital dash so they did not know the mileage). What they sometimes do is they spray oil on the shock and tell you it is leaking and show you the oil. Go somewhere else and have the suspension checked (if you are concerned) and never ever go to that dealership again.

I have had Honda Dealerships tell me to do more than the Minder codes say to do and hand me a sheet of their required services ( all kinds of additives etc. ) and then tell me Honda requires them. I then take out the service history book and say do what is specified. Usually that is two trips in one First and Last!

That dealership is dishonest and you should find another one. You have plenty of evidence. I have been to a few different ones over the time I have had The Speed Bump and some are better than others. Service writers sometimes get "Spiffs" for upselling and more hours on one car makes the mechanics happy.

·
Registered
2011 CRZ
2 Posts

Hello. Did you solve the leaking rear shock issue?

I took my 2011 CRZ to the dealership last night (they are open till 10pm) and they failed my annual inspection and one of the items was rear shocks leaking. The car has 45k miles.

·
Super Moderator
6,098 Posts
Sounds suspicious to me but could be possible. See my long posting above yours. Take it someplace else if 2 places say it time to order shocks. If you need to order shocks see part numbers below for RockAuto If the second place says the shocks are fine then it is the scam I mentioned above.

Part numbers and Prices:
GABRIEL G511037 Ultra Shock $21.79
MONROE 5682 OESpectrum $39.79

Hello. Did you solve the leaking rear shock issue?

I took my 2011 CRZ to the dealership last night (they are open till 10pm) and they failed my annual inspection and one of the items was rear shocks leaking. The car has 45k miles.

·
Registered
2011 CRZ
2 Posts
Agreed, for 45k mostly highway miles, how do rear shocks on a two seat go bad. I will get a second opinion, but for now it failed inspection and will sit. If they are bad, how hard of a job is it to replace?

·
Super Moderator
6,098 Posts
Not difficult if you have a good jack and jack stands but I have not looked into it with my 75K mile Speed Bump. If it turns out the shocks are good that dealership owes you a sticker and they need to be reported to the inspection authorities .

Agreed, for 45k mostly highway miles, how do rear shocks on a two seat go bad. I will get a second opinion, but for now it failed inspection and will sit. If they are bad, how hard of a job is it to replace?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts