Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 CR-Z has 44880 miles and the rear shocks are leaking.
Don't see any posts here about rear shocks since 2015. Anyone have any suggestions?
I drive from Los Angeles to Tijuana 6+ times a year so the bumpy ride gets a bit old. I guess I want the best of both worlds. Responsiveness with a little cush-heavier on the cush side 馃槈. Any suggestions?

Premium Member
All years use the same ones. See RockAuto or Genuine OEM Honda Parts and Accessories Online - Honda Parts Now for options. Honda Parts now will tell you the OEM part numbers, which you can then get from them or any dealer, but the prices will be higher than Rock Auto. There are some aftermarket options up to and including coil overs and many other suspension options.

See the many postings on here about shocks misting and how some shops will tell you they are leaking when they are working properly, normally they are designed to seep a little to keep the seals lubricated. Shocks should last over 100K miles. Your shocks maybe just fine and who ever you talked to maybe trying to scam you. We covered the topic very thoroughly in the thread below.

Registered
Im bored af so I'm going to write up what's happening with the misting, might delete later IDK.

Inside the shock is fluid. This fluid combined with the shaft, body and piston damp the movement of the car. As the car is driven the pressure and friction cause the shock/strut to generate heat. Since the shaft must move in and out of the assembly some of the fluid gets deposited on the shaft which is exposed to the open air (but covered from water/dirt on OEM shocks and quality aftermarket options with a dust boot/sleeve). It's an incredibly small amount of oil, a thin film. Since the shaft is hot a small amount of this oily film on the shaft sometimes vaporizes and as it cools it condenses on the exterior body of the shock/strut. This 'wetness' of the shock body is what leads people to thinking there is a problem. Over time the oil now deposited on the body collects all sorts of dirt and dust from the road becoming a clumpy black mess and leading people to thinking that it's been blown or leaking for a while when in fact it's all part of the normal operation of the shock/strut.

You can also test the shocks/struts by pressing down on the corner of the car in question in a sharp single motion and seeing how many times the car bounces after, 3 times or less and it's ok. For the rear do this with the tailgate open, don't push on the exterior body of the car.

Premium Member
Compare all the dampers to each other if all act the same way, not an issue. If one or a pair act differently, then possibly an issue and have multiple professionals look at the vehicle. If you are told they are leaking and want to have some fun clean the shocks with a pressure washer let car dry take to a different shop and I bet you will either be told there is no problem or if dishonest you will always be told there is a problem no matter how clean or dirty they are. The fun part comes in when you clean them and take it back to a shop that told you there was a problem, tell them you fixed the issue but want it checked again, then watch them say "oh whatever you had done fixed it! (all you did was clean them)" or don't tell them and let them do their X number of points free check and see if they say anything. If they say anything negative, about the dampers, total Lies and dishonesty. 2 trips in one, first and last. Run, don't walk away.

Long-running scam, as documented in the thread I linked to above.

Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
My 2015 CR-Z has 44880 miles and the rear shocks are leaking.
Don't see any posts here about rear shocks since 2015. Anyone have any suggestions?
I drive from Los Angeles to Tijuana 6+ times a year so the bumpy ride gets a bit old. I guess I want the best of both worlds. Responsiveness with a little cush-heavier on the cush side 馃槈. Any suggestions?
I've heard good things about KYB, Koni, and Monroe.
Personally I've used Bilstein and they were super good.
I've never tried any different struts on a CR-Z though, this was on my old Accord.

Premium Member
I've heard good things about KYB, Koni, and Monroe.
Personally I've used Bilstein and they were super good.
I've never tried any different struts on a CR-Z though, this was on my old Accord.
With the low mileage they maybe perfectly fine and be a mechanic needing to make their boat payment. Very few rear shocks fail.

But many shops report issues that do not exist and the "leaking" is minor misting and how all shocks work.

Registered
2013 Honda CR-Z w/ HPD supercharger
With the low mileage they maybe perfectly fine and be a mechanic needing to make their boat payment. Very few rear shocks fail.

But many shops report issues that do not exist and the "leaking" is minor misting and how all shocks work.
I disagree. My rear shocks were leaking at less than 30k miles. Dealer denied my warranty claim so I went to buy the HPD suspension kit out of spite. Worth the upgrade though!

Premium Member
I disagree. My rear shocks were leaking at less than 30k miles. Dealer denied my warranty claim so I went to buy the HPD suspension kit out of spite. Worth the upgrade though!
Maybe but there are very few that actually failed many more are working as designed but people are scammed to believe failed.

In your case I would have gone to another dealer or Honda corporation.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all so much! He did show them to me when I asked. I could see leakage but I'm not sure how much normal misting looks like tbh.
He kept going on about my tires will start 'cupping'. I could see he was using that as a fear tactic.
This was at the American Tire store so they prob just trying to get sales. He quoted I think around $300 for KYB, which seemed high considering the easy install. I said no thank you I don't make spur of the moment decisions. Lol.

Will have my regular honest guy check them real quick.

Premium Member
Obvious to me, it is the usual scam and 2 trips in one to that shop, first and last. A shop like that will never admit the misting is normal and how shocks work. If actually leaking, they will slowly lower or bounce more or less times than the other end or the other side of the car. All shocks will have oil on them, as we discussed in the thread I linked to, it is normal. It looks bad, and it gives a dishonest shop something to use as a scare tactic. Unfortunately, these kinds of scams are more often used on the ladies, but even uninformed males get taken in by this BS. I will state again very few shocks leak or fail and when they do, it is usually after many hundreds of thousands of miles, despite @SkittyDoogle's experience. More often it is a dishonest shop and a scare tactic, like many things in their industry. Lots of scare tactics, very little reality. Some mechanics are actually trained to believe that any oil is leaking, and they will not even consider the reality of that is how they work. All misting is normal. Leaking there would be a puddle or if you bounce the car on that corner it does not move or bounces more or that corner is lower. Always get a second opinion from a shop that has ASE certified in suspension technicians.

I hope by posting real information here, I can help stop some of this wallet lightening.

It is not only shocks that can cause cupping and did your tires show any of the signs or was it a "this can happen" scare tactic? For prices, look at the other thread, where I posted the prices from a good supplier. Installation prices will vary depending on the shop. 2 shocks are less than $100 a pair, usually less than $80.

Here is an article I found online that discusses cupping. If I remember correctly, it is usually more a tire balance or alignment issue. The rear of a CR-Z is not subject to alignment adjustment in the usual way. Replacement of the rear beam is required. The rear is listed as not adjustable, or we could say not align-able. Another scam is 4-wheel alignment on a CR-Z.

Thank you all so much! He did show them to me when I asked. I could see leakage but I'm not sure how much normal misting looks like tbh.
He kept going on about my tires will start 'cupping'. I could see he was using that as a fear tactic.
This was at the American Tire store so they prob just trying to get sales. He quoted I think around $300 for KYB, which seemed high considering the easy install. I said no thank you I don't make spur of the moment decisions. Lol.

Will have my regular honest guy check them real quick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts