Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is the rear window defroster only supposed to defrost part of the window? When looking out of the rearview mirror this is not much of a problem, but it seems odd that there are those lines all the way up (though there is a gap), but the defrost only happens on the lower part. At least on my car.

On a semi-related note: anyone else feel like the rear wiper covers too little of the window. It doesn't really go to the bottom of the window. And since the window is nearly horizontal it leaves a larg-ish part of the window un-wiped (if you will).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Someone else asked this recently so I had a look at mine and, although it appears that the defrost elements continue to the top of the glass, the ones above the gap aren't connected to anything on the left hand side - they stop before they reach the surround trim. As such they ain't ever gonna work but I don't know what the purpose is - why have them at all?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Haven't had much of a chance to use the defroster yet... but on the one or two times I did, I'm 90% sure it defrosted the entire grid.
It doesn't make sense that it would be designed to only do part of it...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had plenty of use out of mine being defrosted thru November & December here in the UK.
Yes, the lower half only heats up - tho its quite quick to clear even in -11 temps.

I just wish I had a rear screen wiper on my UK model :cry:

·
Registered
618 Posts
That's a terrible design choice. :( I would have hoped that anywhere the rear wiper needed to move would be defrosted.

·
Registered
298 Posts
That's a terrible design choice. :( I would have hoped that anywhere the rear wiper needed to move would be defrosted.
Yep, a terrible decision. The problem is that there's no heating in the rear of the car at all. Driving on a slow commute home through nice heavy snow, I've actually had enough ice build up on the upper half of the rear window that I didn't feel safe running the wiper any more. The defrost bars should have covered anywhere that the rear wiper reaches (and it seems the wiper blade should have been larger).

Not that the wiper does a heck of a lot, but it's not like this car needs more rear visibility concerns.

I'd sacrifice AM radio for a full rear defrost. Wonder what that would take...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have to agree with atteSmythe and others about this design - thanks for the posts. I was about to contact my dealer because of a faulty rear defroster, but did a search here first.

Sure, the area I can look through (via rear view mirror) gets defrosted. But....the past few days of snow/ice in the northeast have resulted in ice build-up on the upper portion of the rear window (non defrosted portion). The rear wiper could not complete a smooth arc of travel. What dumba$$ designed that?

That is one thing I have really found annoying about Japanese automotive design. Seems like they want to sell a lot of cars to North America, but have such a difficult tme with heating, front defrost, and rear defrost. Although, this CR-Z does seem to do better at those than other toyotas and hondas I have been a passenger in.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'd sacrifice AM radio for a full rear defrost. Wonder what that would take...
Can someone in the euro or japan market comment on this? I suspect that since they don't use the AM band in those markets, that they may have a completely defrostable rear window.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can someone in the euro or japan market comment on this? I suspect that since they don't use the AM band in those markets, that they may have a completely defrostable rear window.
You are right in that we dont use AM (in the UK) & its not a choice in the EU car.

We still have the 1/2 heated rear screen (would have liked full screen) - and we DONT have a rear wiper option at all :angry: - and as the UK has quite a bit of rain, its a damned pain, as its the 1st car I've had in over 20 yrs that hasn't had a rear wiper!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lots of sno here in Wisconsin, and have the same build up of ice, and sno on the rear window area. I used Rain X on the rear glass and it helped ALOT. Also makes the morning frost scrap off alot easier. Give it a try. I use it on all my windows and outside mirror glass as well. Also the front headlights, seems to keep them cleaner.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You are right in that we dont use AM (in the UK) & its not a choice in the EU car.
Huh? Since when did we not have AM in the UK?
Admittedly there's not a lot on it worth listening to, but it's still there - I listen to 5live on it sometimes.

[EDIT]: I notice yours is a Navi which mine isn't - does the Navi unit not have AM?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Interesting- jcramin reports that his entire rear window defrosts, but in mine and many others it is just a lower window defrost as noted by the OP. Are there different specs out there? Can this be modded to defrost the entire window as suggested by atteSmythe? Finally, looking at the wiper blade positioning, it seems it should be easy to put a longer blade on there and get a bit more territory on the window cleaned up. It may not help much on the snow and ice issue, particularly on the upper half without defrost, but at least getting a little more area swiped clean for rain would certainly be welcome.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.