Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! I need to replace my rear pads, rotors, and calipers on my 2011 EX. I am not savvy with car stuff so I’m hoping you guys can point me in the right direction! The shop I originally took it to quoted me over $1600. :frown2:

I have several mechanic friends, the wife of one also drives a CR-Z, so I’m thinking about purchasing the parts myself and having someone I trust do the work. Thoughts? Recommendations on parts? I just use my car as a daily commuter car.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
4,633 Posts
Look at https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2011,cr-z,1.5l+l4+electric/gas,1446970,brake+&+wheel+hub (This is the link for 2011 brakes) web site for ideas on parts and prices. They show many options and they guarantee fit. Then you can either buy from them or elsewhere. Power stop also makes packages which RockAuto sells. I just looked at their page and they list nothing for the rear except rebuild kit.

Are you sure the calipers need to be replaced? That is part of the high cost of the estimate you got. Sometimes they can be rebuilt. If you need this much for the rear what about the front?

Hi everyone! I need to replace my rear pads, rotors, and calipers on my 2011 EX. I am not savvy with car stuff so I’m hoping you guys can point me in the right direction! The shop I originally took it to quoted me over $1600. 🤮

I have several mechanic friends, the wife of one also drives a CR-Z, so I’m thinking about purchasing the parts myself and having someone I trust do the work. Thoughts? Recommendations on parts? I just use my car as a daily commuter car.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Hi everyone! I need to replace my rear pads, rotors, and calipers on my 2011 EX. I am not savvy with car stuff so I’m hoping you guys can point me in the right direction! The shop I originally took it to quoted me over $1600. 🤮

Thank you!
Just an FYI.. i have done this on (2) CR-z's now. The rear's DO go bad.. and by that, I mean the slider pins lock up. You don't need to replace the entire caliper. You need to get new slider pins and clean the holes out on the calipers and lube them up good.

In fact, I need to do this on my new crz as it was locking up so bad the brakes would smoke.

Like stated above, use rockauto, or carid.com and get the parts, then have someone install them. Even if you DO buy new calipers, it shouldn't come close to $1000. Rotors are probably $50ea, brake pads ($60), and slider pins like $30. Plus some brake grease (lube).. yeah. Not much.

Its too bad you can't do this yourself. Its simple work.

If you want to watch how its done:

This is on a different honda, but ALL caliper / rotor cars are the same pretty much. Whether it be mercedes, or honda.

Also, in terms of brands:

Rotors: Go with centric premium (solid disk.. not slotted, or drilled)
Pads: Go with OEM honda
Slider pins: (go with whoever you want.. i recommend honda, or even autozone).

Centric also sells a kit that comes with pads + rotors. Part # 909.40527

https://www.carid.com/2011-honda-cr-z-brake-parts/centric-preferred-plain-brake-kit-207520306.html

Or just Rotor (centric part # 120.40079)

https://www.carid.com/2011-honda-cr-z-brake-parts/centric-premium-brake-rotor-20679599.html

For the brake pads / slider pins: Get them at your local honda, or somewhere online like bernardiparts.com

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Just an FYI.. i have done this on (2) CR-z's now. The rear's DO go bad.. and by that, I mean the slider pins lock up. You don't need to replace the entire caliper. You need to get new slider pins and clean the holes out on the calipers and lube them up good.
I wonder if that's what was causing my rears stinking up the dragon last year... looks like my weekend just got more plans...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look at https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2011,cr-z,1.5l+l4+electric/gas,1446970,brake+&+wheel+hub (This is the link for 2011 brakes) web site for ideas on parts and prices. They show many options and they guarantee fit. Then you can either buy from them or elsewhere. Power stop also makes packages which RockAuto sells. I just looked at their page and they list nothing for the rear except rebuild kit.

Are you sure the calipers need to be replaced? That is part of the high cost of the estimate you got. Sometimes they can be rebuilt. If you need this much for the rear what about the front?
The person I spoke with at the shop said the rear calipers were locking up, and that the right side was worse than the left. He said that the front looked like it still had 10k-15k miles left before it would need to be replaced.

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

In fact, I need to do this on my new crz as it was locking up so bad the brakes would smoke.

Like stated above, use rockauto, or carid.com and get the parts, then have someone install them. Even if you DO buy new calipers, it shouldn't come close to $1000. Rotors are probably $50ea, brake pads ($60), and slider pins like $30. Plus some brake grease (lube).. yeah. Not much.

Its too bad you can't do this yourself. Its simple work.

If you want to watch how its done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPaB5AcRG6c

This is on a different honda, but ALL caliper / rotor cars are the same pretty much. Whether it be mercedes, or honda.

Also, in terms of brands:

Rotors: Go with centric premium (solid disk.. not slotted, or drilled)
Pads: Go with OEM honda
Slider pins: (go with whoever you want.. i recommend honda, or even autozone).

Centric also sells a kit that comes with pads + rotors. Part # 909.40527

https://www.carid.com/2011-honda-cr-z-brake-parts/centric-preferred-plain-brake-kit-207520306.html

Or just Rotor (centric part # 120.40079)

https://www.carid.com/2011-honda-cr-z-brake-parts/centric-premium-brake-rotor-20679599.html

For the brake pads / slider pins: Get them at your local honda, or somewhere online like bernardiparts.com
AWESOME. Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I wonder if that's what was causing my rears stinking up the dragon last year... looks like my weekend just got more plans...
I can almost guarantee it.

On my first cr-z I fixed the problem at around 130k. It was the first thing I fixed on the car. Now on my new crz, they are locking up at 120k. So yeah, seems to be a common problem.

If you want a cool tool for cleaning the slider pin hole out, I used a 'hoppes universal gun cleaning kit' from Walmart. $10. You can stick the wire brush into a drill, use some wd40 and scrub the hell out of those rusty holes!:

Here is the kit:

Tinyurl.com/hoppes99

Happy cleaning!

Make sure you buy new pins, silicone grease, and maybe some new bolts to screw into pins.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

On my first cr-z I fixed the problem at around 130k. It was the first thing I fixed on the car. Now on my new crz, they are locking up at 120k. So yeah, seems to be a common problem.

If you want a cool tool for cleaning the slider pin hole out, I used a 'hoppes universal gun cleaning kit' from Walmart. $10. You can stick the wire brush into a drill, use some wd40 and scrub the hell out of those rusty holes!:

Make sure you buy new pins, silicone grease, and maybe some new bolts to screw into pins.
LOL, sounds about right, I was at 110K last year, and 120K now.

I'll pull it apart and look at it. I bought a set of calipers that came with silicone slide grease and pre-lubed slides, so I'll see about just a clean and lube first.

Side note, what calibre brush did you use? I've got the 9mm kit and the 12ga kit.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

LOL, sounds about right, I was at 110K last year, and 120K now.

I'll pull it apart and look at it. I bought a set of calipers that came with silicone slide grease and pre-lubed slides, so I'll see about just a clean and lube first.

Side note, what calibre brush did you use? I've got the 9mm kit and the 12ga kit.
I used the largest brass one that would fit in the hole. Not sure on the exact size as my kit was the universal kit. I'll check when I get home. But, like all bore cleaning, tight fit is best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, thank you all SO MUCH for the information! I got a second opinion on the brakes from Goodyear since I already had an appointment with them to install a new set of tires. They said that I do need to replace both rear calipers, that the left is completely locked up and that the other one is not much better. Funny because the other place said the right side was worse. Both places said that my vehicle has a "special" caliper and it has to be ordered from the OEM because nothing else will fit it. They also quoted me around $1500. I don't mind paying extra for decent parts, and I don't know really anything about working on cars, but that seems outrageous. I do know that most of the cost is from the calipers, which run around $400 from the OEM (and after shops up-charging the **** out of it).

But I think I have a plan after talking with my buddy. He actually suggested that it's probably just the pins like someone else in the thread suggested. I'm going to get new caliper pins, pads, and rotors locally and have him replace everything for me. His wife has a CR-Z too so he's used to working on her car and has all the tools already. If I actually need new calipers he will let me know.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Hi everyone! I need to replace my rear pads, rotors, and calipers on my 2011 EX. I am not savvy with car stuff so I’m hoping you guys can point me in the right direction! The shop I originally took it to quoted me over $1600. /forum/images/CRZForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_sad.png

Thank you!
No problem man!!

New complete calipers from Bernardiparts.com are $277.

Just make sure your friend cleans the slider pin holes out real good, as they are usually the corroded part. I suggest using the $9 Walmart gun cleaning kit I recommend. That and wd40. Will make his life simple.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
They also quoted me around $1500. I don't mind paying extra for decent parts, and I don't know really anything about working on cars, but that seems outrageous. I do know that most of the cost is from the calipers, which run around $400 from the OEM (and after shops up-charging the **** out of it).

But I think I have a plan after talking with my buddy. He actually suggested that it's probably just the pins like someone else in the thread suggested. I'm going to get new caliper pins, pads, and rotors locally and have him replace everything for me. His wife has a CR-Z too so he's used to working on her car and has all the tools already. If I actually need new calipers he will let me know.
That's insane! 1500 for brakes!

Sounds like a good plan to have your buddy do it.

·
Super Moderator
4,633 Posts
DigiPh had the right Idea just rebuild what you have with nice new parts. The main body of a caliper does not wear out ( unless you have had a horrible accident and then the caliper is the least of your issues) just replace what wears out. As for what brand etc these days I do not think that really matters but Drilled and or Slotted is IMHO not needed and can weaken the rotor. A brake job is not that hard and you can save a lot of money by doing it yourself.

In my life I have found when a shop quotes a really high price they generally do not want to do the job. I was quoted over $800 for an alternator replacement on a GM car where it was right on top of the engine. I went elsewhere and paid substantially less. I would have done it myself but car was not drive-able with failed Alternator and failing battery and had to get it fixed Fast to get to work. I drove to my known good shop with a jump box connected to car back feeding the power socket to give just enough power to keep it running at stop lights( my dad the engineers Idea and it worked! He made me the special car power plug to car power plug cable. Damn I miss him).

The person I spoke with at the shop said the rear calipers were locking up, and that the right side was worse than the left. He said that the front looked like it still had 10k-15k miles left before it would need to be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
4,633 Posts
well, time to go buy a 1911 so I can justify having the 45ACP cleaning brush, lol.

I bought a set of tubing cleaning brushes at Harbor Freight and also a set of welding tip cleaning brass brushes and they were very cheap. I like looking for things from one discipline and using them for something else.:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
4,633 Posts

If possible replace all pads all rotors and flush and replace Brake fluid. I think you will be shocked at the difference. Brake fluid absorbs water and should be replaced at least every 2 years.:grin2:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts