Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You may be wondering why I chose the title, so I'll tell you. I got home from work one day and my 7yo looks at me and says "Dad, your car looks kind of like KITT from TV. You have the front lights, but your car doesn't talk." Found out later from my wife that she had let him watch the original Knight Rider series earlier that day. This of course was shortly after I installed the first LED scanner bar which will be replaced soon due to a few LED's going out, but that will come later. In short, because of my kids my PBP Z is now called KITT.

With that said, onto the few mods done so far, and maybe (if Drake, my 7yo allows) I'll post some info on a mod him and I are working on together.

Here is KITT shortly after being purchased last year. (Photos may take a few moments to load as they are hosted on my personal server)

Front view:

Side View:

Interior:

You should notice that I had a little fun with the open source image manipulation software GIMP to turn everything but my car black and white. What can I say, I was bored.

I drove KITT for nearly a year before making any mods / changes.....

The first thing I changed on the car was the engine air filter, and man did it need it. I took KITT to the dealership for B1 maintenance and they showed me the air filter. It looked like it was a coal mine worker, and the cabin filter didn't look much better. The service rep said "You should change your air filters, it'll be about $170 if we do it." I politely informed him "I'll do it myself, and replace the engine filter with K&N brand." The guy grinned ear to ear and clapped me on the back, "That's what I like to hear! Someone who cares about their car!"

I do not have any pictures of the filter replacement as it has been done plenty of times here, and there isn't much to it. I don't really consider this a mod, but that's just me.

The first mod / second change made to KITT, and the reason my kids named the car such.... (This has been replaced and moved, new pictures and video will be posted soon!)

Front LED Scanner! (Link to original thread: LED Scanner Bar Thread)

<Old Links Removed>

Up next is the iJDMToy Diffuser Brake Lights

Lights Off [Night]:

Running Lights On [Night]:

Brake Pedal Pressed [Night]:

PS: It is nice documenting what has been done with the car so far, and as soon as Drake says its ok to share a few details of our current project I will.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
Here, you may appreciate this.

New No More Kings music video for "Michael (Jump In)" - YouTube

My childhood friend writes whimsical songs based on discarded pop culture from the 80's. For this video, he teamed up with the same animation studio that did the Esurance commercials featuring Erin the pink-hiared spy. Not my favorite work of his, but the Knight Rider theme is appropriate here.

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about doing the light bar like you did, but I got this that I'm working (slowly) on to make into KITT. That show was so awesome back then, unlike that crappy remake a few years back.
You might be interested to know that there is a small electronics company that makes replicas of the dash components to create your own KITT. I am not affiliated with the company at all, just came across the site during a few Google searches. Their link is Jupiter Electronics - TV and movie props in case your interested.

My son said I could state this about our project. We're going to make part of the dash look like KITT's dash, using our own custom build pieces.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
Turbo boost

You might be interested to know that there is a small electronics company that makes replicas of the dash components to create your own KITT. I am not affiliated with the company at all, just came across the site during a few Google searches. Their link is Jupiter Electronics - TV and movie props in case your interested.
I've look at that site before and I know there are a few others out there. Haven't bought any of the K.I.T.T. parts yet due to fixing a few mechanical issues with the car still. For now I'm going to just do the exterior. Later I may do the inside but that is where all the expensive parts are.

Interested to see how your going to do the inside of your car.

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here, you may appreciate this.

New No More Kings music video for "Michael (Jump In)" - YouTube

My childhood friend writes whimsical songs based on discarded pop culture from the 80's. For this video, he teamed up with the same animation studio that did the Esurance commercials featuring Erin the pink-hiared spy. Not my favorite work of his, but the Knight Rider theme is appropriate here.
Haha, finally had a chance to watch that video. It was amusing.

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
As promised here are some pictures of my car after I washed it about 3 weeks ago. Since then it has rained multiple times yet the shine has only recently dulled to the point that I want to wash and wax the car again.

Driver Side:

Driver Side (Close Up):

Hood (in shade):

Hood (near front / LED Bar):

Passenger Side:

2.5 Weeks after wash:

**Note: This is also after about 5 trips on back "country" roads full of rocks and bugs**

Right after it rained 2-3 days ago:

K&N Decal (applied a few months ago):

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, son said I can share another detail lol. We're working on making a program for a raspberry pi micro computer that will be installed in the car. It will be used to control the light bar so that we can change colors and patterns on the fly without having to cycle through them. I'm currently saving up to build the relay box that will be between the pi and light bar as well. He's really excited about helping me with the mods.

· Registered
445 Posts

seen this on facebook and thought.
Why not bump this excellent cr-z build thread :rolleyes:

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As part of the "re-dsigned" KITT concept, my son and I are thinking of replacing the OEM "grill" with a black mesh. If we decide to go ahead with this idea I may relocate the LED bar so that it mounts behind the mesh along with some extra fog lights.

Something I was curious about is: Has anyone else replaced their OEM grill? If so, what complications, if any, should I look out for?

· Registered
966 Posts
Just saw you had a raspberry pi...
That means both you & I have the same car, had the same galaxy Nexus phone, and now have the same SOC mini-puter. If you're ever in Pittsburgh hit me up I bet we'd get along great.

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I completely forgot to subscribe to my own thread... That has been resolved...

My son and I are currently working with the original RPi Model B, and just saw that they have released a model B+ with 2 more USB ports and 10+ more I/O pins. This has us debating on buying the B+ and relegating the current one to a kid safe TV box.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
As part of the "re-dsigned" KITT concept, my son and I are thinking of replacing the OEM "grill" with a black mesh. If we decide to go ahead with this idea I may relocate the LED bar so that it mounts behind the mesh along with some extra fog lights.

Something I was curious about is: Has anyone else replaced their OEM grill? If so, what complications, if any, should I look out for?
Are you asking about something like this?

T-Rex® - Honda CR-Z 2011 3-Pc Upper Class Black Mesh Bumper Grille

It's not a fav here on the forums, but with some additional modifications, it might work out.

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you asking about something like this?

T-Rex® - Honda CR-Z 2011 3-Pc Upper Class Black Mesh Bumper Grille

It's not a fav here on the forums, but with some additional modifications, it might work out.
That is similar to what I am looking to do. My goal is to obtain metal diamond mesh, shape it to the same dimensions of the existing plastic grill. Then once the fit is verified, paint it black and mount the LED bar behind it. Speaking of the LED bar, the new Raspberry Pi based control box is on hold until my son and I decide if we want to upgrade to the model B+ or not.

@Triptych:
I am tempted to take a trip somewhere out of state for a few days just to get away from here for a little while hahaha.

· Registered
966 Posts
I have the 'B' as well. Unless you're definitely going to use the extra USB & I/O pins I think you'll be alright with the B. From what I I've read they are otherwise identical. But then again it does make a great media box. I've used mine with xbmc and it was surprisingly good. Im pretty sure it has (unofficial) Netflix support now too, I use Netflix Desktop on my Ubuntu laptop.

My next project with it is a garage door opener that responds to voice commands via Android phone.

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the 'B' as well. Unless you're definitely going to use the extra USB & I/O pins I think you'll be alright with the B. From what I I've read they are otherwise identical. But then again it does make a great media box. I've used mine with xbmc and it was surprisingly good. Im pretty sure it has (unofficial) Netflix support now too, I use Netflix Desktop on my Ubuntu laptop.

My next project with it is a garage door opener that responds to voice commands via Android phone.
I started a Raspberry Pi thread in the off-topic lounge. I also posted some questions and a brief list of goals my son and I have for the Pi.

As for the garage door opener check out Hack-A-Day for similar projects. I think the only major difference between the projects in that search link and your idea is the voice recognition.

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well due to a few things that happened I ended up getting new tires ahead of schedule. This has put a hold on a few things while I save the money again. Due to a rebate and discount (positive reviews helped as well) I got a set of Yokohama YK580's which I'll post pics of when the weather improves and KITT gets a good cleaning. I was going to wait until after winter but found another nail in one of my tires causing me to have to inflate it daily. This is the second time I've found a nail in my tires and I didn't want to drive on 2 plugged tires.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.