Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering how high would i need to raise my car in order to fit 215/65r16 tires without rubbing?

Has anyway tried doing such a thing?

Trying to make the car look more "rally" and less "street"

·
Registered
286 Posts
You could use a spring seat spacer for the rear, they can be bought online.

The front thought is a different proposition, you might need subframe spacers and a longer strut or maybe just the spacer

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
Isn't this a situation where you would use a coil over suspension and roll the fenders or use a different profile tire? Why do you want to do this? That will help us help you. Most fit the tires to the car setup not pick a tire size, rim size and profile and modify the car to make it work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isn't this a situation where you would use a coil over suspension and roll the fenders or use a different profile tire? Why do you want to do this? That will help us help you. Most fit the tires to the car setup not pick a tire size, rim size and profile and modify the car to make it work.
My rims are 16 inch and 215/65r16 is the smallest all terrain 'mud' tire i can find to fit a 16 inch rim, after hours of research. I want my car to look a bit more aggressive and not only that I live in Canada and i think id have more fun driving in the winter with that type of tire setup lol

Thinking of also adding 15mm spacers on front and 35mm spacers at rear. Would that also help clear the bigger tire?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could use a spring seat spacer for the rear, they can be bought online.

The front thought is a different proposition, you might need subframe spacers and a longer strut or maybe just the spacer
Thinking of going with 15mm spacers in front, would that be enough to clear the tire?

Ps: also think about raising the car 1.5 inch, would that be enough?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thinking of going with 15mm spacers in front, would that be enough to clear the tire?

Ps: also think about raising the car 1.5 inch, would that be enough?
I think you'll have an issue with clearance with front spacers without negative camber. 20mm spacer or 25 on rear is fine.

I don't know about lifting vehicles I've never done it myself, i just know Subaru basically used spacers on the subframe of the outback to get a similar lift.

Depending on the droop of the front suspension you might get away with using the stock struts but the z has 0 degrees camber stock so you will gain positive camber by lifting it so you may need camber bolts.

The rear won't have such changes but you will need a spring seat spacer to raise it. Again the droop on the rear will dictate whether stock shocks can be used. Like if the droop is only 1.5 inches then you won't be able to lift it because the damper will likely be fully extended on the rebound stroke durimg certain scenarios if you raise it 1.5 inches.
Why not go 1 inch.?

Should accommodate a 65 tire

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you'll have an issue with clearance with front spacers without negative camber. 20mm spacer or 25 on rear is fine.

I don't know about lifting vehicles I've never done it myself, i just know Subaru basically used spacers on the subframe of the outback to get a similar lift.

Depending on the droop of the front suspension you might get away with using the stock struts but the z has 0 degrees camber stock so you will gain positive camber by lifting it so you may need camber bolts.

The rear won't have such changes but you will need a spring seat spacer to raise it. Again the droop on the rear will dictate whether stock shocks can be used. Like if the droop is only 1.5 inches then you won't be able to lift it because the damper will likely be fully extended on the rebound stroke durimg certain scenarios if you raise it 1.5 inches.
Why not go 1 inch.?

Should accommodate a 65 tire
Thanks for the info! Do you think 1 inch will be enough to fit the tire size i want though?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
My rims are 16 inch and 215/65r16 is the smallest all terrain 'mud' tire i can find to fit a 16 inch rim, after hours of research. I want my car to look a bit more aggressive and not only that I live in Canada and i think id have more fun driving in the winter with that type of tire setup lol

Thinking of also adding 15mm spacers on front and 35mm spacers at rear. Would that also help clear the bigger tire?
Just for reference, On my first CR-Z I ran 205/65R 15 inch General Altimax Arctic/Firestone Winterforce tires on 15"x6.5" steel Honda wheels. No rubbing, stock height, but there wasn't much extra clearance.
Clearance of Fenders and suspension components depend on the width and offset of the wheels you are planning to use along with Suspension height and travel.

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z EX CVT
35 Posts
Not sure if you found your solution but I too was going for a rally inspired stance for my car. The roads in north Texas are brutal and I found myself scraping my bumper in every driveway, and even sometimes just in the bends.
These are the tallest I could find!

but I went with These because 30mm was bit taller than I was looking for.

for the front and back it totalled $100 and some change and I was able to get them installed with a torque wrench a jack and 2 jack stands. Probably took no more than 2 hours

now as far as a 215/65r16. With the spacers you will have enough height but may experience rubbing at full lock.not sure if spacers would alleviate the problem.

excited to see what you do, I’ve always thought the z would make an awesome little rally build

feel free to check out my build thread to see how it sits with a 20mm lift to help determine how much lift you need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts