Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am installing a radar detector to have all of the cords hidden behind the dash, and I have the option to tap an existing wire in the car so that the detector turns on when the car does.

I have already tapped a wire to the radio, which I assumed would work since the radio is only on when the car is, but it turns out the detector stays on even when the car is off. Does anyone have other ideas for easily accessible wires? Or did I just get unlucky, and should I just try tapping another one of the radio wires?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
This is a pic of the Fusebox... the red circle denotes one of the normal Factory Accessory connections. There are several wires here... some are always hot, some are hot only when the key is on. You will have to find the one you want. I assume you have a multi-meter or a light tester?

This would be my recommended area for what you are trying to do, and it will minimized your search to just a couple of wires instead of guessing at random.

Good luck!

This is for information purposes only, and I take no responsibility for any damage that my occur. I don't know if you have the right tools, or any experience in doing this kind of thing, so PLEASE BE CAREFUL!:thumbsup:

Others here may feel differently, and are welcome to post otherwise.... :pP:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Since there are Honda accessory options for a rearview mirror with a powered compass, I'd suggest looking around the overhead lighting switchgear for a 12V source.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Since there are Honda accessory options for a rearview mirror with a powered compass, I'd suggest looking around the overhead lighting switchgear for a 12V source.
The rearview mirror you mention uses the fusebox location that I pointed out... and I didn't know if he is trying to mount on the dash... or up high near the mirror. But yes, if mounting up high... one of the leads to the map lights would work well. Good call on that one!

I have always hated cutting/splicing into the factory wiring, and prefer the fusebox. For that matter,I will often run directly from the battery with a relay and inline fuse, depending on current need. Just me...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.