Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a quest to have a good smelling car (my wife has been telling me it smells funny lately), mix in equal parts boredom and curiosity, toss in some hand tools for flavor, and... Voila! You end up with a car that's 124 lbs lighter!

Not that I was looking for that. Just bored and curious lol.

What I took out and the weights:
Passenger Seat = 54 lbs
Compact Spare = 20 lbs
Cargo Divider = 20 lbs
Cargo Shelf = 11 lbs
Muffler = 7 lbs
Jack and associated equipment = 5 lbs
Floor Mats = 4 lbs
Cardboard Cargo floor = 2 lbs
Cargo Tonneau = 2 lbs
Plastic Under Divider = 1 lb

The final result:

Looks alot more bare with just a little bit of weight:

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I did all this as more of a "If I pull on this, how hard is it to remove this?" I contemplated removing the armrest, but it was too much effort and involvment at that time. Maybe next time I get bored lol

I did bring the passengers seat inside to shampoo, since it has been raining here.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I notice that you left the subwoofer.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I did the math, and assuming 2 HP for every 15 lbs lost, I gained approx 16.67 hp. Not my goal, but interesting. And I got that (with more formulas that I don't understand) from "Chassis Engineering" by Herb Adams. Theres a formula in there to figure out how much of an acceleration improvement I got.

Oh, and the speakers, arm rest, and and EVERYTHING else is still in the car because my goal wasn't to get as much stuff out as I could, just to see what I could easily remove

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
String door handles... Seems like an awesome idea! April Fools lol.

Seriously, not sure if my car is even safe right now, because my airbag light is on, so I don't know if my system is disabled or not

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Had to remove everything but the passenger chair to paint the pillars and headliner. Had no idea how much it actually weighed so it's nice to see such a specific breakdown by part. Nice job.

I also have to say that driving around for a week or so without the interior while painting, was intereresting.

1) not much insulation under all those panels, but what little there is still helps alot.
2) Can actually notice the weight difference when driving the car while interiorless and after everything is put back in.

-Hoi

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.