Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting new thread to avoid cluttering, but this was mentioned in this other thread here: tps://www.crzforum.com/threads/mpg-fixed.96339/post-1420809

Can anyone tell me if I am missing anything as far as the fresh air vent leading to the glovebox filter?

or if this is just normal factory spec for the CR-Z?

As it is now, the only thing between the replaceable cabin filter media and the outside elements is the large plastic windshield cowl.

Seems rather exposed and unprotected with the vent/hole placed perfectly to invite water and everything else into it...

*The filter in photos is 1 week old.

Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Motor vehicle Rim

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Trunk

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

Sleeve Gesture Automotive lighting Automotive design Tints and shades

Rectangle Wood Automotive exterior Stairs Tints and shades

Automotive design Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Flooring

Wood Flooring Floor Gas Automotive exterior

Wood Tints and shades Gas Rectangle Metal

Automotive tire Wood Material property Tints and shades Wood stain

This last one is a picture of the vent in recirculate mode.

Attachments

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Completely normal. Most every Honda is exactly this configuration.
Thanks for the clearing that up.

I noticed on lexus' the vent holes in the plastic cowl on have a mesh screen on the underside of the larger holes so I'm going to do the same in addition to covering that hole with aluminum window mesh.

The prelude I had for more than a decade must have been one of those outliers.

20seconds later...now that I recall it was marketed as having a HEPA filter and it took 2 rectangular box filters to change out.. hella expensive too.

Now that I've had a chance to compare the "regular" Honda configuration to their HEPA configuration. Wow, yeah a difference for sure.

· Registered
1,284 Posts
Preludes had the filters stacked on edge vertically AFTER the blower fan. They had the exact same open hole in the cowl above the blower motor. If you looked in the Prelude opening you would have seen the center of the blower fan.

CR-Z and most everything after 2001 Honda put the cabin filters BEFORE the blower fan. So now you see filter media looking in the cowl opening.

Hondas prior to about 1995 did not even have provisions for cabin air filters. The filter was the heater core or if you were up town the evaporator core for the AC was your filter.

HEPA was just a filter media option. Wasn't any additional parts and pieces.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for explaining all that. Was there any other reason for placing the blower before or after the filter media or just due to space and design layout?

I recall the only available filter media was HEPA for the prelude, but I could be wrong. .good filtration.

· Registered
1,284 Posts
Probably put the filter media before the blower fan to keep junk out of the blower than would make noise.

Also packaging. The vertical on edge filters often needed the glove box fully removed and the dash behind the glove box cut to remove the filter. It was very much an afterthought on the early Hondas.

The horizontal filters don't need the same glovebox clearance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts