Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone with the car answer the following question. Does the car cut out the engine if you don't put it into neutral when stopping?

ie. keeping the clutch down, break on, in 1st gear ready to pull off. Does it keep the engine going?

I was never able to verify this myself, since the two times I took the car for a test drive the weather was hot and the aircon was required. I read on days like that the car will not turn off the engine at a stop to keep the aircon going.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The CR-Z will not turn off when the AC is on in normal AC mode.

The engine will auto stop when you slow and the clutch is engaged (pushed in) even when it is in gear, unless your in 1st gear. Whenever you put the car into 1st gear it will re-start, even with the clutch engaged.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if you slow approaching a roundabout say, and before you get there you switch to 2nd gear ready to keep going, the engine could cut out when you press the clutch in? I was sure the CR-Z would only do it with the gear stick in neutral, I need to find those detailed specs again.

Are you going by experience of the Insight or the actual production CR-Z?

·
Registered
66 Posts
both the CR-Z and 1st Gen Insight auto stop as I've described. They both have basically the same IMA system.

Your speed needs to be below 18 MPH for the auto stop to kick in, but yes when the car is in any gear other than 1st and the clutch is engaged the auto stop function will activate. As soon as you remove your foot from the clutch the engine will start back up. If you put the car in neutral while in auto stop, the auto stop will stay engaged. You can even coast down a hill increasing speed while the car is in nuetral (or clutch engaged) and the auto stop is engaged. It takes a little getting use to hearing the engine shut off, but the system really is pretty seamless.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can confirm that the CR-Z auto stop system cuts the engine as described by 'CR-Z Insight' above.
Having driven my CR-Z now for over aweek, the auto stop takes a bit of getting use to, especially when the engine stops even before the car comes to a complete halt! The auto stop cuts in which ever ot the three modes you are driving in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
On the route I regularly use to get home from work, there is a long hill, ending with a gentle T-junction controlled by traffic lights (which can be seen from a long way away). My route is to bear right through the junction. At the top of the hill I am usually in top gear (6th). (My CR-Z is 6-speed manual.)

I have two choices: I can go down the hill, changing down through the gears (with the engine braking replenishing the battery), until the speed is OK for going through the junction. If the lights change to red, this means coming to a stop. However, the engine will not stop if I change down to first and keep the car in first gear.

Or I can coast down the hill in neutral and, if the lights are red, come to a halt, with the engine cutting out at around 30 kph. If the lights change to green while I am still going down the hill, I have to put the car in gear (not first) and keep going. The engine does not stop unless the speed is below 30 kph and will restart immediately I put the car in gear.

I have driven just over 3,000 km up to now and have become used to the car's engine-stop system. So much so that I never give it a second thought. Much more intriguing is the hill-start-assist function, which has completely changed the way I approach gradients.

Best wishes,

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or I can coast down the hill in neutral and, if the lights are red, come to a halt, with the engine cutting out at around 30 kph. If the lights change to green while I am still going down the hill, I have to put the car in gear (not first) and keep going. The engine does not stop unless the speed is below 30 kph and will restart immediately I put the car in gear.
Ok so the auto stop can cut the engine in any gear except 1st gear under 18mph with either the clutch down or gear in neutral, going by these reports. However the engine will start in any gear once the clutch is released. So in the example of going down the hill during autostop, and the lights change to green, you select 2nd gear and start releasing the clutch and suddenly the engine kicks in and you have rev control again?

How long between holding the clutch in at <18mph before the auto-stop kicks in? Obviously you don't want it stoping the engine between gear changes.

Damn, I don't really like the sound of this. I really hope it is as seamless as ppl are saying here, I've read a few reviews where they said it didn't work like in other auto-stop cars, and left people at traffic lights with cars behind beeping their horns.

Can someone categorically say that if you are at a full stop with the engine stopped by the stop/start system, that as soon as you put it into 1st gear (before you release the clutch) then engine starts again ready for clutch control start.

Also Hirotaro please tell us more about the hill start feature. I read it engages the break for 1.5 seconds while you find biting point, is this right?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Well it goes very fast off but very fast on also.. that is what I found out 30 min ago in a huge traffic jam. You should loud up the music because its very strange to hear your engine shut down if you are still cruising lol.

On the other hand, think its to soon to judge for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had mine about a month. Don't even worry about the auto-stop/start. It works faster than you can normally react and is seamless, no power kick or control issues at all. The feature WILL work in normal mode with ac on if the difference between outside and inside temps is not great. Otherwise, on hot days, for example, the auto-stop is bypassed. You will scarcely notice the auto-stop feature. I was concerned about it at first but it has proven to be a non-issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had my CRZ now for about 3 weeks, the Auto Stop/start is a bit weird at first, You soon get used to the system, and it works really well, as klm said you scarcely notice it.
Sometimes you don't realise the engine has cut out as the car is that quiet anyway, it's only when you engage a gear that you realise it's been off, for me the car is fantastic, a true Yorkshiremans Sports Coupe (we are known in the UK for being a bit careful with our pennies) :pP:

·
Registered
66 Posts
speaking from a purely 1st Gen Insight point of view (2000 Insight with 250K miles on the odometer), auto stop is awesome and a great tool to be able to help save fuel. It is so seemless you won't even notice, except for the engine shuting off at stops.

I have also heard of people saying the car didn't start after stopping, but I would attribute that to driver error. Here's what I mean; Auto start/stop kicks in, the driver thinks the car stalled and tries to re-start the car with the key. I have read about this on several other forums.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.