Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just got my CR-Z as I've mentioned a million times before (haha) and I seem to be having trouble going from 1st gear to 2nd gear. I've only had this car for about 6 days now and I'm still getting used to the transmission in the car. I'm coming from the last 5 spd I drove which was a dirt old 94 Mazda 626 5-spd to this and its so much better than those older trannys. It seems like though every time I shift from 1st to 2nd, I always get that rough jerkiness afterward no matter how I shift. I was wondering if anyone had these issues or had advice on shifting? Every other gear is smooth as butter, its just really rough 1st to 2nd. I drive a 2016, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have not noticed that at all in my 16, unless it is cold and were still in low temp range. Have you experimented with each mode? It may be that you are not on the clutch engagement point as smoothly as you think, but could also be some hard driving from the previous owner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not noticed that at all in my 16, unless it is cold and were still in low temp range. Have you experimented with each mode? It may be that you are not on the clutch engagement point as smoothly as you think, but could also be some hard driving from the previous owner.
I sit up pretty close and push down all the way on the clutch. When you talk about the low temp range, are you talking about when the car still displays the low-temperature icon? I'm pretty worried that the transmission was abused, and even though I have an extended warranty from CarMax, they won't do anything to repair a manual transmission. Tomorrow is my last day in the 7-day no questions asked period. I dunno what to do. The car is a pretty rare find and I'd hate to have issues later down the road though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, it can be a little sluggish as long as the low temp icon is on in the cold, dont think its cold enough currently though.

Does it only do it in the beginning or continue after driving a while? I was thinking more of where you reengage not necessarily at full clutch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it can be a little sluggish as long as the low temp icon is on in the cold, dont think its cold enough currently though.

Does it only do it in the beginning or continue after driving a while? I was thinking more of where you reengage not necessarily at full clutch.
It does it frequently regardless of how long I drive. I'm finding myself not wanting to shift at higher RPMs in 1st gear because of how it shifts. Even running in Eco at low RPMs it still seems to hitch.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Never had the problem in my CRZ, but I had rough shifting in my MX-5 for a bit, had the transmission gear oil as well as the differential gear oil replaced and that took care of the problem, smooth now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try moving your seat further back so that when the clutch is fully down, your left leg is almost fully stretched out.

Also try resting your right foot slightly angled on the throttle pedal with your heal to the left and toes to the right.

I find that I still occasionally mess up a gear change if I don't time the clutch release and throttle application correctly.

I found that moving my seat back definitely helped as I found that it made it easier to lift clutch fully rather than being too cramped up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do think the CR-Z benefits from a slight different approach - when compared with the box in my DC2 Integra I have to keep the clutch engaged longer especially setting off in 1st gear and modulate it more for smooth operation. I don’t recall 1st to 2nd specifically being an issue but I do think if rushing gear changes it isn’t as forgiving. My guess it is because of the throttle being electronic and not mechanical.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do think the CR-Z benefits from a slight different approach - when compared with the box in my DC2 Integra I have to keep the clutch engaged longer especially setting off in 1st gear and modulate it more for smooth operation. I don’t recall 1st to 2nd specifically being an issue but I do think if rushing gear changes it isn’t as forgiving. My guess it is because of the throttle being electronic and not mechanical.
I noticed that the CR-Z required a different approach to changing gear and setting off than my Golf MK5, it requires slower movement of the clutch when setting off due to the taller gearing and needs smooth but deliberate application of the throttle when the clutch is coming up to nearly the top of the travel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I sit up pretty close and push down all the way on the clutch. When you talk about the low temp range, are you talking about when the car still displays the low-temperature icon? I'm pretty worried that the transmission was abused, and even though I have an extended warranty from CarMax, they won't do anything to repair a manual transmission. Tomorrow is my last day in the 7-day no questions asked period. I dunno what to do. The car is a pretty rare find and I'd hate to have issues later down the road though.
I'd take it back to the dealer, have one of them drive it while you sit in the passenger seat, and if it does the same thing from 1st to 2nd as you mentioned, I'd tell them if they cannot repair it, then you need to return it to avoid a possible costly repair in the near future.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think it's this, especially with how OP describes it. 1st to 2nd is always a long-held shift for me, but I don't think it's any particular problem, just a quirk of this transmission and its gearing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it's this, especially with how OP describes it. 1st to 2nd is always a long-held shift for me, but I don't think it's any particular problem, just a quirk of this transmission and its gearing.
I'm noticing if I wait longer to get my foot off the clutch and slowly release it, it shifts smoothly. Thanks for the information! I think its a matter of learning on how to get used to an electronic throttle.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I'm noticing if I wait longer to get my foot off the clutch and slowly release it, it shifts smoothly. Thanks for the information! I think its a matter of learning on how to get used to an electronic throttle.
There's also a delay valve on the clutch... if you let off too fast in gentle driving I've noticed that it tends to lurch... If you want to just drop the clutch super fast, you've got to be at a pretty high RPM (and make sure traction control is off or else you're in for a bad time)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could be delay valve vs your technique or needs and oil change, honda transmission have low intervals but noone ever does it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update? If you do decide to change the MTF I would consider Amsoil Synchromesh Fluid. Have used it in other Hondas and shifting was much smoother overall. Though the same can be said for any fresh MTF change.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts