Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know this thing comes with a 8 year 100k mile warranty but my question is about if the battery will degrade over time and hold 90% charge instead of 100% for example? Is it like a laptop where after 3 years your battery will only hold a charge for 15 minutes? If so how does this come into play when you try to have it replaced under warranty? Does it have to meet a certain criteria to qualify for a replacement?

·
Registered
170 Posts
All I can offer is that when I turned my 2003 Civic hybrid over to my son it had 220,000 miles on it...and I averaged 52 mpg city/hwy combined. It is still going with over 220,000 on it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
All I can offer is that when I turned my 2003 Civic hybrid over to my son it had 220,000 miles on it...and I averaged 52 mpg city/hwy combined. It is still going with over 220,000 on it.
My 2004 Civic hybrid has 160,000 but needs the battery rebuilt before it heads over to my son. I didn't notice a change in the battery until the IMA light came on at around 120,000. It was certainly still usable but seems to take longer to charge and discharges faster. The net result is your mileage goes down. I'm opting to have it rebuild instead of replaced as it is half the cost. I also averaged 52 mpg.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Does that civic hybrid use the same exact type/kind of battery? These are the questions I forgot to ask before my fiance purchased the car lol
No, not exactly the same. As with anything, the tech gets better as the years go by. But the same basic techology.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
As long as its not like the Accord Hybrid IMA battery. When that thing goes kaputz, the transmission light comes on, the car starts to get sluggish. I had to drive it about 40 miles at about 50mph to the closest Honda Dealer to have it replaced. The Tech there never had to do it, but he did find out that when the Accord IMA Battery goes, the car is really not drivable but to the dealer to be replaced. Hopefully the CRZ is not the same way, only time will tell huh? :beer:

·
Registered
170 Posts
My 2004 Civic hybrid has 160,000 but needs the battery rebuilt before it heads over to my son. I didn't notice a change in the battery until the IMA light came on at around 120,000. It was certainly still usable but seems to take longer to charge and discharges faster. The net result is your mileage goes down. I'm opting to have it rebuild instead of replaced as it is half the cost. I also averaged 52 mpg.
May have to ask you how rebuild went, son will probably have to have it done some day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah so at what point of degradation would Honda be willing to replace the battery under warranty? It would suck for the thing to be at 50% charge capacity in a few years and drop your MPG by 5 or more or something.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Yeah so at what point of degradation would Honda be willing to replace the battery under warranty? It would suck for the thing to be at 50% charge capacity in a few years and drop your MPG by 5 or more or something.
I supposed when your IMA indicator comes on and stays on. What diagnostics does the logic use? Dunno. Page 303 in your manual. Other than that, I couldn't hesitate a guess.

·
Registered
149 Posts
As long as its not like the Accord Hybrid IMA battery. When that thing goes kaputz, the transmission light comes on, the car starts to get sluggish. I had to drive it about 40 miles at about 50mph to the closest Honda Dealer to have it replaced. The Tech there never had to do it, but he did find out that when the Accord IMA Battery goes, the car is really not drivable but to the dealer to be replaced. Hopefully the CRZ is not the same way, only time will tell huh? :beer:
It wouldn't be.
As I understand it, the Accord is a lot more reliant on the IMA system than the CRZ.

With the CRZ, IMA system out of the picture, we are only losing ... what was it again ... 15(22?) hp. It would feel more sluggish, but still perfectly drivable.

The big loss to the CRZ from losing the IMA system is that the fuel economy would take a hit because our braking energy would no longer be recovered and used to assist the car during acceleration.

Edit:
Seems I could be wrong.

Apparently the Hybrid Accord's gas engine was 255 HP.
I can't see that having any trouble moving the car all by itself.

It has been a while since my college physics classes ... so someone feel free to tell me I'm a fool ...
But the only thing I can imagine is that the bad battery created a large amount of resistance ... effectively making the electric motor fight against the engine, in the same way that regenerative breaking works, the whole way to the dealership.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It has been a while since my college physics classes ... so someone feel free to tell me I'm a fool ...
But the only thing I can imagine is that the bad battery created a large amount of resistance ... effectively making the electric motor fight against the engine, in the same way that regenerative breaking works, the whole way to the dealership.
IMO, that's a good guess - constantly trying to recharge a dead battery, the motor-as-generator would deliver a pretty good chunk of mechanical resistance.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ok so I know this thing comes with a 8 year 100k mile warranty
In the UK it comes with a shorter warranty for newer vehicles, which is, umm, interesting.
From Honda Uk website;

IMA Warranty
Honda warrants that the Honda car specified on your Warranty certificate is free from material and manufacturing defects to the IMA system for specific components* for a period of:
•8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, for Civic Hybrid and 10YM Insight.
•5 years or 90,000 miles, whichever comes first, for CR-Z and 11YM Insight onwards.

·
Registered
33 Posts
IMA Battery - 1 bar . . . stuck in traffic.

Ok, so the twice that I've been stuck in L.A traffic, my battery meter was down to only 1 bar... . . but the traffic got moving and so charged the battery up a few more bars. My question is, what happenes when the 1 bar disappears? Does the engine sustain the car without the IMA battery? Will the car die? Should I turn off the A/C and stereo when I'm down to 1 bar only? I'd like to know! Which battery is actually powering up my a/c and stereo and headlights?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nothing but the motor is powered by the IMA battery. You need not worry about charging/discharging while driving the car. It's controlled by the computer's intelligence.
But there is one thing you should be aware of:
In general, but especially with a low charge level you should not let your CR-Z stand for more than a month. This might discharge the IMA battery completely and damage it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
did anyone ever drain the battery on accesories to a point of not starting the car or even rollup a window??on a camping trip with the boys this weekend i used the car as a sound system with ipod for about 14h and at one point the car shootdown the accesorie trying to see what went wrong the thing couldn't lift but ½ a window and died.i drain car batterie before to the point of needing a booste to get the car to start but the radio never died on me nor the power windows.this car just died completly in 14h.:dunno:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Nickel-Hydride batteries might be cheaper four years from now, but it seems that they're very reliable. Stock market prices for rare earth metals such as Lithium is rising, but we can't simply upgrade to Lithium batteries because of the voltage difference; for others, old Lithium batteries might be worth big one-for-one trade-in credits in the future.

It's probably nonsense, but I never leave my battery charge below two bars in the garage overnight as a way of long term IMA battery maintenance.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The older batteries were Nickel - Cadmium.
These were the ones with the 'memory' problem.
Ni Mh in the CRZ will not have that problem, although I wish a Lithium - Ion battery swap mod would come out. It could double the output of the EMA giving another 13hp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.