Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my CR-Z (6-speed, silver EX) for two months. The IMA Battery Charge Level Indicator always shows the charge at "two full white squares" past the center mark. It is never all the way over to the far right. Is this what most of you see?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
i've had it full at some point. i think if you brake really really hard it might spike back to full lol.

(btw there should be 10 bars total, so easier to describe where it is by count)

normally mine stays at about 8 bars sometimes going to 9 but i do mostly city driving. those with alot of hills say theirs are usually around 4.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have had my CR-Z (6-speed, silver EX) for two months. The IMA Battery Charge Level Indicator always shows the charge at "two full white squares" past the center mark. It is never all the way over to the far right. Is this what most of you see?

I don't know if you are shifting to neutral before applying your brake or not. I was doing this when I first got the vehicle...habit from driving MT way back (coasting in neutral). Not that it is a bad habit but not doing the IMA battery any favor in this vehicle. Make sure to apply brake while in gear until your speed drops to 19mph or so. In this manner you would recharge the IMA battery. When coasting leave in gear and coast to recharge your IMA battery. Eventually you will get the hang of it and it becomes second nature. Good luck.

Hopefully I am understanding your concern correctly...if not, I am just shooting the breeze. :blush:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I stopped at my house real quick to grab something and left the car in autostop and went inside and had the rear defroster on, when I came back out 5 to 10 mins later mine was on 0 and the motor kicked on and started charging the batteries.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i've had it full at some point. i think if you brake really really hard it might spike back to full lol.

(btw there should be 10 bars total, so easier to describe where it is by count)

normally mine stays at about 8 bars sometimes going to 9 but i do mostly city driving. those with alot of hills say theirs are usually around 4.
Umm, there are 8 bars on the IMA gauge.

It depends so much on how and where you drive. If you drive a lot of long hills like I do then it's easy to get 8/8 on the way down, and equally easy to get 3/8 on the way up.
"Regenerating" by coasting in gear or moderate braking will recharge the IMA pretty quickly, but if you do a lot of flat, urban driving you might not get enough opportunity to reach full charge.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I drive in normal the car seems hesitant to use the IMA and the bars stay somewhat steady around 8-9 give or take. It also seems very good for recharging if I've drained the battery too much with some nasty stop&go in ECON mode.

When I drive in econ it can drain really fast if I focus on getting the most out of the IMA without enough chances to get some braking or coasting re-charge.

Sport mode with some all out uphill acceleration (freeway on-ramp) can really tear through the battery extremely quickly, but then it seems to regen pretty well once I'm up to speed on the interstate.

===

The car appears to adjust IMA output in relation to the charge of the battery.

It usually doesn't go above 9 but I've hit 10 a few times, particularly when there is a lot of downhill breaking.
The IMA will also kick in whenever you give it any pedal.

I don't think I've ever gone below 2 ... when you get down to 3-4 the car is much more stingy with IMA power... it's clearly programmed to make it difficult to drain the battery too much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.