Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the hill holder feature on the manual transmission CR-Z, does it hold if you are letting the clutch out and "kill" the car? When exactly does it release? How limited is it in function and basically how does it work?
Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here's an extract from the manual;
Hill start assist feature helps to prevent the vehicle from rolling on inclines as you move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator.
Depress the clutch pedal, and shift to 1 when facing uphill, or R when facing downhill, then release the brake pedal.
The brakes remain engaged briefly as you release the brake pedal.

I must say I haven't really got to grips with the HSA - it's only activated once and that was a time when I didn't really expect it (brief stop on a very gentle slope).
Need to play with it some more to understand it properly I think.
I doubt it would continue to hold the car if you stalled it - it only stays on for a short period anyway.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I've never killed the car on a hill -- but it feels like the brakes are automatically actuated when its activated --
It is very seamless.. well designed! I usually dont notice it as I have been driving manual in hill country for years. I did play with it one day on a parking garage ramp.. and it works pretty well. Car would not roll backward.. but it disengaged at the first instance of forward motion. I did not try to stall the vehicle to see if it would re-engage. Might be an interesting thing to check out.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i cant seem to get mine to work the same on the same hill. This one hill i go on frequently is my main test, the HSA worked once on this hill and thats it, ive been in the same spot multiple times and it doesnt seem to kick in all the time. To the point i cant tell if i need to be at more of an incline or less for it to work. I dont worry about rolling back to much, if the person behind me pulls so damn close i roll back into them i figure its their fault for being so close.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have noticed that:

1) If it is a low grade hill (I'd say under 2%), Hill Assist won't come on
2) It will hold your vehicle for the rated amount of time, regardless of forward motion.

Overall, it is an awesome feature.

·
Registered
522 Posts
mine's only engaged a couple of times... i have 3k miles and i drive in some hilly areas..... the first time it ever engaged was on a rather gentle slope... i was impressed by the technology and was excited (not that i have a problem rolling back) - but since then, and on muuuuch steeper hills, i get no HSA. wtf honda?

i cant seem to get mine to work the same on the same hill. This one hill i go on frequently is my main test, the HSA worked once on this hill and thats it, ive been in the same spot multiple times and it doesnt seem to kick in all the time. To the point i cant tell if i need to be at more of an incline or less for it to work. I dont worry about rolling back to much, if the person behind me pulls so damn close i roll back into them i figure its their fault for being so close.
nope - this would be your fault and you would be cited for failure to control your vehicle. i learned this the hard way when i learned to drive stick :sadwavey:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I have noticed that:

1) If it is a low grade hill (I'd say under 2%), Hill Assist won't come on
2) It will hold your vehicle for the rated amount of time, regardless of forward motion.

Overall, it is an awesome feature.
I have not noticed the second one. If you put the car in neutral and release the clutch the car will be stopped on the hill. Gear in and then give it gas and HSA releases the brakes. It doesnt take 1.5 seconds every time - if i remember correctly. Mine engages pretty frequently because there are a lot of hills in Pittsburgh

mine's only engaged a couple of times... i have 3k miles and i drive in some hilly areas..... the first time it ever engaged was on a rather gentle slope... i was impressed by the technology and was excited (not that i have a problem rolling back) - but since then, and on muuuuch steeper hills, i get no HSA. wtf honda?
I think for it to engage you have to be at a complete stop and in neutral with the clutch out. Mine works every time pretty much. Im a 6mt newb so i was concerned with rolling back but HSA has always kicked on for me so i never roll back unless i take more than 1.5 secs to start giving gas

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think for it to engage you have to be at a complete stop and in neutral with the clutch out. Mine works every time pretty much. Im a 6mt newb so i was concerned with rolling back but HSA has always kicked on for me so i never roll back unless i take more than 1.5 secs to start giving gas
This was my experience when I played with it a bit while stuck on a steep on-ramp in stop and go traffic last night. It would only kick in if I shifted to neutral and let the clutch all the way out, then shifted back into gear to continue. On shorter stops where I didn't shift out to neutral, there was no hill-start assist.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.