Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my CRZ EX 6-spd two weeks ago -- immediately ordered a set of 18" ASA AR1s with Conti all-seasons from Tirerack.

Wasn't sure the ASAs would look right on CRZ -- they're more appropriate on a Euro car...

However, I'm very pleased with how they look on the car. But I think we all know now that CRZ is one of the cars that' svery wheel-dependent -- the car looks OK on the OEM 16s, but looks great with 17 or 18s...

Here are a few crappy quality phone cam pics, but you get the idea. Could use a slight drop and a modest rea lip spoiler for the hatch...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda cr-z Honda

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda cr-z Sports car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda cr-z Sports car

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I always think of my long gone Golf GTI 16v when I see that wheel design as it reminds me so much of the BBS wheels..

Love the look on the CR-Z.. I've been thinking of doing the Summer / Winter set-up for my car..

RJ

·
Registered
666 Posts
Wow, I am really liking this rim design on the CRZ... I have always liked the style but never thought it went well on a Honda until now. I am seriously considering going with a rim like this, except 17" and gloss black.

Might I ask, how wide are these, 8"? I am still trying to figure out how the width of a rim effects the offset and how much wider they will set than stock.

For example, if I go with a 7.5" rim +45mm offset, would the stance be narrower than this?

Thanks for posting btw :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
^ heres a good explanation of offset. i tried to type it out but this does a way better job explaining

Wheel Tech - Offset
Thanks for that! :grin: I knew I had seen the diagram somewhere before, but couldn't recall where! Probably could have done a search...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Wow, I am really liking this rim design on the CRZ... I have always liked the style but never thought it went well on a Honda until now. I am seriously considering going with a rim like this, except 17" and gloss black.

Might I ask, how wide are these, 8"? I am still trying to figure out how the width of a rim effects the offset and how much wider they will set than stock.

For example, if I go with a 7.5" rim +45mm offset, would the stance be narrower than this?
:)
This is a very good and relevant question. You need to know both the wheel width as well as the offset to make any kind of judgement about how "tucked" or "pushed out" the wheel will look.

For example a 45 mm offset on an 8" wide wheel is going to stick out 1/2" further than a 45 mm offset on a 7" wheel would.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Tires 215/40-18, offset 45mm...
I would be very interested what your fuel economy turns out to be. The tire width you choose is 10% wider than stock and the wheel/tire combo you have switched to weighs about 9.3 pounds more per wheel than the stock wheels and tires.

I expect this will result in some loss of both accelleration and fuel economy. What I do not know is how much of an effect it will be.

If you still have the original equipment wheels and tires a comparison would be in order.

I had a 2002 Mini Cooper that had 195/55/16 run flat tires that weighed a total of 45 pounds per corner and I switched to a set of 175/65/15 wheels and tires that weighed 33 pounds per corner. The performance difference on the 113 hp MINI felt like day and night, with the lighter smaller wheels "feeling" much faster. But I never did any instrumented testing, so I do not know the actual performance difference. I did notice a 2-3 mpg increase with the lighter wheels and tires.

I would love to compare this result to others experiences with larger, heavier wheels and tires.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Besides addd width, diameter has changed slightly as well (closest to stock would have been 35s but I wanted more sidewall so I went with 215/40-18).

Re: fuel econ, I bought the car because I liked it; the fact that it was a hybrid added to my interest, but wasn't a key factor, nor was fuel econ.

I do appreciate that I can hammer it all day long in town in sport mode and still get 30+ mpg. Much better than my R32 driven the same way --almost double.

Also, I'm willing to sacrifice a few mpg for a little more visual appeal.

BTW, the 18s didn't noticeably affect ride quality.

Last, I think the OEM 17s look fantastic on the car -- however, at $280 per, I thought the value equation wasn't there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PS -- loss of acceleration because of added weight may be compensated (somewhat) by much improved traction the wider tires give off the line...

Cornering grip is of course greatly enhanced!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks for posting btw :)

Width is 7.5". Wheels look pretty flush to sides of wheel opening.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.