Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Pushing the 2011 Honda CR-Z Into The Red

Cars.com’s editors recently drove the sporty Honda CR-Z hybrid on a mileage challenge using its standard drive setting with the objective of replicating how most people drive most of the time. The 2011 CR-Z lets you select Econ, Normal and Sport modes, and they kept it in Normal mode at all times on the mileage challenge, with the trip computer registering 37.7 mpg over 330 miles. However, when switched to the more responsive Sport mode and driven in a sporty manner, can the CR-Z still return good gas mileage? I flogged a manual-transmission CR-Z for a weekend and drove it like a sporty car, not a hybrid, to see if the self-proclaimed “Sport Hybrid Coupe” could be efficient in that sportiest of modes.

Gears were revved out, throttle blips were used to rev-match downshifts and I drove it hard over the weekend. As a result, the speedometer’s efficiency ring, which changes color to indicate fuel-conscious driving, was illuminated in an angry red color throughout the weekend.

Read More At: Pushing the 2011 Honda CR-Z Into The Red - KickingTires

·
Registered
376 Posts
No surprised here for me since that's what I did from day one. I was driving aggressively in sport mode was getting better and better MPG as my gas tank was draining. This vehicle exceeded my expectations and then some. Currently driving more conservatively to reap the benefit of this vehicle. Saving money. :blush:

My rough estimate in saving every month is around $100 plus. US dollars. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sup guys. So I just picked up my CR-Z over the weekend. I'm bummed cuz I'm going from my 2000 Insight getting 50mpg around town to this gas guzzler at only 40 on the highway!:pP: Haha! Got to love Honda!

·
Registered
674 Posts
It is a refreshing change to read a positive, yet very short review. Finally somebody not expecting 50MPG and sub-5 sec 0-60 at the same time. And 36MPG in Sport is cool. I'm yet to try it for a tank or two, but first, at least 3 tanks of Econ at 40MPG+!

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Sup guys. So I just picked up my CR-Z over the weekend. I'm bummed cuz I'm going from my 2000 Insight getting 50mpg around town to this gas guzzler at only 40 on the highway!:pP: Haha! Got to love Honda!
Yea, but having more fun?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am only 4 tanks in, but I swear I think ECON mode has slightly worse mpg than NORMAL. I have not spent much time in sport.
I drive almost exclusively in ECON, but I think that's going to change. It seems to me like there are times when the engine seems to have to work harder in ECON to maintain speed, and I'm wondering if I shift mode, if it will help things out a bit (and potentially save on gas). Hmmm... I'll have to test it a bit.

Anyone else notice this?

Specifically I seem to notice this on the highway where there is a very long, very slow incline when I am in ECON mode.

Sport is more fun to drive, too. LOL.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drive almost exclusively in ECON, but I think that's going to change. It seems to me like there are times when the engine seems to have to work harder in ECON to maintain speed, and I'm wondering if I shift mode, if it will help things out a bit (and potentially save on gas). Hmmm... I'll have to test it a bit.

Anyone else notice this?
Hi, I'm new to the forum and the CR-Z (I got mine Wednesday... the EX Navi w/CVT).

I suspect this is true. I live in a mountainous area, and it seems like the car stresses a *lot* more climbing hills in Econ mode. I wonder if I should change modes, or just force the car to downshift when climbing.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Anyone else notice this?

Specifically I seem to notice this on the highway where there is a very long, very slow incline when I am in ECON mode.

Sport is more fun to drive, too. LOL.
Yeah, I made a post about the long incline on the highway, too.. I run out of battery quickly in econ.

And I have been testing different modes lately. I do get better mpg driving quickly in sport than in econ. I'd say use whatever mode is appropriate to the situation/your driving style at the time, and you'll get the best mileage that way.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.