Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the existing hinged lid that covers the rear storage area (where rear seats would be in the rest of world) is too big and heavy. It seems to be as massive as a rear seat back, but does it need to be?

Ultimately I would prefer to remove it entirely and replace it with something that isn't as massive. It simply needs to provide a level cargo floor and to pivot up in order to keep things from sliding forward.

· Registered
33 Posts
I have some friends at PWJDM they have an in house Carbon factory and told me they just purchased a CR-Z im sure with an email that way they might be able to put this on the list of parts they will be making, its a cool idea and everyone like weight savings

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could also be fiberglass for less $$.

Basically it needs to preserve the function of the original: fold flat or pivot up and snap into place.

Should be able to use all the original latching hardware.

Would suggest making it hollow with some reinforcement.

Bonus points if they can include a hidden storage compartment that spans the full width of the lid.

· Registered
192 Posts
Been there done that! Carbon Fiber Rear Tray Cover

But you're right, the thing weighs a ton! It's just a seat back being used as a storage compartment cover.

I just took some spare carbon fiber sandwich, shaped it to cover the area and hinged it with sticky-back velco. It's not level with the rest of the back but it keeps my CDs from flying around. You could probably wrap some 2" foam with carbon or even carpet and make something that would be level with the back.

I don't have pictures of it but I solved the "keeping cargo from sliding into your seat" problem buy stringing some racing safty net across the latches. It works and looks cool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.