Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to share my experience with this intake. I'm interest in the design of the intake so i bring my car in for R&D.:p

it is still a prototype on my car and here is what it looks like.

and on the car

It looks like a SRI but it is indeed a CAI, the opening is restrictive and only draw air from the air bracket inside the front bumper (like the stock intake)

It sits above the radiator so it might pick up some heat, so i tested it out and no matter when, i pop up the hood and the whole intake is ice cold, didn't affect by surrounding area, therefore no heat shield is required.

Sound. it is louder for sure, i watched tons of youtube videos with HKS intake, so PRM sounds deeper/lower or while HKS sounds higher.

i put up some video so you can judge.

YouTube - CRZ PRM Intake 1

YouTube - CRZ PRM Intake 2

Performance. Mine is CVT, so we didn't put it on dyno since it can't stay in a gear without shift.
we redlined it to see what it can do, IMO it seems breathed smoother and give a little boost at the top-end. i can't feel anything at the low-end, using a CVT to test out torque is inappropriate anyway. We don't have data/dyno. So, IMO it did add some extra horses to the car.

MPG
So i left and went to several places (i can test it on the way). There is a significant effect on Throttle response. Let me put it this way, if Econ is 0, Normal is 1 and sport is 2, the throttle response in normal with the PRM intake is like 1.1 ~1.15.
I'm hypermiling everyday, so i'm easy on gas pedal, with this thing on, i had a hard time to adjust my foot to keep the same level mileage, the throttle becomes more sensitive that i have to very easy on gas pedal, it took me 1 hour to adjust...:pP:

The design, according to Gerry, the reverse filter setting retained the surface area to suck air while decrease the inner flowing volume at the filter area to create velocity of air flow to the engine. I am not engineer, so you are the one to judge.:pP:

That's it for my review, for more information, here is their site

Welcome to PRM Racing - Jet Stream Intake System

Cheers:thumbsup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He said it would be roughly around $250:rolleyes:

For those who interested, this intake is quite popular among Fit, S2000, 350Z, google them will give you a better idea for it is.

The main reason i took my car to Gerry is to find out why he place the filter that way. Lol.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Oooh, I like the sounds of that. Cool looking design too, I am not an engineer either so no clue how effective it could be, hard to be teams like HKS I suppose but still, I've always looked at CAIs as more of a mental mod than anything :rolleyes:

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
I am also intrigued. Will be keeping my eye on this one as it develops..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't understand why someone would leave the radio on while recording a sound clip for an intake. I havent driven a cvt since my test drive, the mpg went up to 100+ at WOT, is that normal?
sorry for the radio on...my bad.

actually, the speedometer is set at KM , so it is L/100km, you hit the gas, the gauge went up to 10+ L/100km. For the mile setting, mpg gauge worked in a opposite way, you hit on the gas it decrease to few mpg.

so it is actually 10+ L/100KM, i don't think you can WOT to 100+mpg or everybody on the road will WOT, lol.:p

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had a Nissan Murano with a CVT, and the "speed creep" was something that always bothered me when on the highway. The engine would stay at the same rpm but your speed could creep up without you knowing it if you were not frequently looking at the speedometer. Before I got used to looking at my speedometer more frequently, there were times where I was unintentionally going up to 15 mph over the speed limit!

Now, back to this thread, I'd be interested in this intake once some dyno figures are shown. Also, how unusual is it that it stays cold without a heat shield?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a Nissan Murano with a CVT, and the "speed creep" was something that always bothered me when on the highway. The engine would stay at the same rpm but your speed could creep up without you knowing it if you were not frequently looking at the speedometer. Before I got used to looking at my speedometer more frequently, there were times where I was unintentionally going up to 15 mph over the speed limit!

Now, back to this thread, I'd be interested in this intake once some dyno figures are shown. Also, how unusual is it that it stays cold without a heat shield?
maybe it's still cold up here, the air drags from the front is like 0'C (+ - 5'C), so it might heat up in the summer like others do. Does heat shield really do something for intake like HKS? no idea.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
maybe it's still cold up here, the air drags from the front is like 0'C (+ - 5'C), so it might heat up in the summer like others do. Does heat shield really do something for intake like HKS? no idea.
Maybe something to think about.
With the CR-Z engine sitting all the way over on the passenger side and only taking up a little over half the compartment space - An SRI sits off to the left side of the engine - over the IMA components? - and with the grill design, it would seem right that it would stay fairly cool in the winter and probably relatively cool in the summer depending on driving conditions.

Maybe any SRI on the CR-Z can be considered a (stretching it?) a CAI based on engine placement and engine compartment designed.

This product still has my interest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.