• 32-34 MPG(US) 38.4-40.8 MPG(UK) 7.35-6.92l/100km

Votes: 28 8.5%
  • Less than 32 MPG(US) 38.4 MPG(UK) 7.35l/100km

Votes: 24 7.3%
21 - 40 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im sure half of the reason people are getting crappy gas mileage, or below 40, is that everyone is all excited to be driving this new car and most of them are probably testing it to its full "sporty" potential, while those with numbers around 40+ are probably driving it conservatively

·
Registered
239 Posts
Im sure half of the reason people are getting crappy gas mileage, or below 40, is that everyone is all excited to be driving this new car and most of them are probably testing it to its full "sporty" potential, while those with numbers around 40+ are probably driving it conservatively
I believe you hit the nail on the head!!!:hi5:

·
Registered
51 Posts
So far driven 850 miles & returning around 48mpg (UK),
mainly on main roads, country lanes & around town.
Sport mode on 'fast' roads, otherwise 'normal' mode.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Believe me, in this sort of fun car it is HARD to drive it slowly!
LOL I bet... Still waiting for mine - but I'm currently getting around 31/32 MPG (UK) from my C-Class Merc, and up to 40 if I'm really careful (i.e. not having fun). So even if I have some fun in the CR-Z I'm expecting to get better than this, I can't lose :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've driven my car 200 Miles so far (alot of city driving, not much highway, and hitting "Sport" conservatively) and I have gotten 32 MPG. I have been trying to get some decent mileage, but I guess I can't be too disappointed, since I am on point with the city MPG estimate.

But, I only have 1 layer of leaves :cry:

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm finding the following to be true at dealerships:
1. The car isn't allowed to charge the battery pack due to the previous test drive
2. The car is cranked up, a/c turned on, then sits 5-10 minutes in the lot as the salesman fetches a plate or goes thru a intro. Some charge can occur but the mpgs go down.
3. Dealers concerned with the lack of published pep are demoing the car in sport mode
4. The demo loop is very short and not long enough to charge the battery pack
5. Repeat for the next test drive.

I went out for a test drive this evening. We sat for a few minutes with the a/c on on an 86 degree day, then accelerated onto the freeway at 70, cruised to the next exit, then took a rural route with some twisty roads back to the dealership.

Unfortunately I didn't think to zero the trip computer prior to the demo, but I recall the numbers that were displayed. As the car sat, it had about 75 miles on the trip computer, with an average mpg of around 26. According to google maps, we went out for a 6.5 mile test drive. When we returned the average mpgs were lower, to 24.5! :cry: For that stint, in order to bring the overall average mpgs to that number, I must have gotten about 14.7 mpg :scared: , but that was likely including the issues that were listed above.

I think it would be a good idea if folks post pics of their last 4 trips as displayed in the bar graphs on the MID.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
i agree with JnC... i test drove 2 CR-Z's one CVT and one 6MT and both times i remember sitting in the car for at least 5-10mins with the engine on just sitting there talking... not to mention the first thing the salesman told me after i started the car was "Now, you're gonna wanna press the 'Sport' button..."

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I was the originator of this thread and have followed it closely.

Based on what has been posted here and on spritmonitor it seems the real world mileage is 37 to 40 MPG US. Or 44 to 48 MPG UK. 6.5 L/100km

It looks like we may see a few people ending up a bit less and maybe some hypermilers will be able to average up to mid 40s, but I think the expectation of 38 MPG US for most people is probably about right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
With my first 1000km, my average is at 6L/100km or 38 mpg (US). Canadian car reads US gal. go figure? We never had US gallons here. Lol (Blue 6MT).

Update, today I did a short trip, mostly 60 to 90 Kph for 25 minutes and averaged 5L/100km or about 46 mpg (US).

Update, today I did a 21 mile trip in normal mode but babying it to see what it could do 4.6L/100km or 50.6 mpg (US).

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
i agree... except are these numbers combined? or just hwy driving? and what transmission-type is it?
38 MPG US looks like the combined average. Most of those posting on spritmonitor have been 6 speeds. But it doesn't seem that there is much difference between the reported real world FE of the CVT vs the manual.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm finding the following to be true at dealerships:
1. The car isn't allowed to charge the battery pack due to the previous test drive
2. The car is cranked up, a/c turned on, then sits 5-10 minutes in the lot as the salesman fetches a plate or goes thru a intro. Some charge can occur but the mpgs go down.
3. Dealers concerned with the lack of published pep are demoing the car in sport mode
4. The demo loop is very short and not long enough to charge the battery pack
5. Repeat for the next test drive.
Why do they feel the need to be so annoying? If we need them to explain something to us we can just ask them they don't need to waste our time. I just want to drive the car and have a look around without someone getting in my way. I went to four different dealerships and three out of the four the salesmen were like vultures. The other place is where my family all goes to buy all of our cars (true Honda family plus we live in a Honda town) at this place the salesman just waited by the side until I had a question then he would explain and move away. That is the way it should be. OK rant over!:angry:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Has anyone calculated the milage for the CVT? I don't think I saw that yet.

·
Registered
579 Posts
best I got was 31mpg on eco on a 25 minute trip on the highway. Dont get me wrong, thats great, But not what i was hoping. We'll see and play with it more.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I can throw out a number for the CVT. This is from the initial dealer filled tank with a lot of playing around in all 3 driving modes (predominately ECON, though) with mixed 60% city and 40% highway.
7.792 gallons
342.3 miles
43.9 MPG
I'm liking my initial MPG. I'll be driving about 400 miles (mostly Interstate) tomorrow and can't wait to see what sort of highway mileage the car gets.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I went to a different dealer today. This time I remembered to zero out the trip computer.

Each line below was done on 10 miles of road, 90% interstate, 70 mph on the interstate. I set the cruise control when on the interstate. Before the drive, I checked the battery: it was one bar from being fully charged.

Econ mode: 40 mpg

Norm mode with 1 mile of Sport with a few punches: 35 mpg

I'm certain it can get higher with only one person in the car, and with a proper set of ultra low rolling resistance tires instead of the grippy tires.

I put down a deposit. :D

21 - 40 of 308 Posts