Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car was bought lowered on Tien Coil overs, and in March I bought new tires, and have been DD'ing the car and made about 8k mi on these tires.

I've always seen the rear tires and they look new, but I was turned in a parking spot the other day and the fronts are nearly down to wear bars and have a crazy wear pattern after 4 months, so I went and go an alignment. told the tech to look for something broken, nothing noticable.

Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel Pattern

Obviously the toe was the culprit, and he got it closer to neutral, but will this amount of toe be an issue in the future as well?

And is there indeed a way to work on the toe in the rear?

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-Z w/ HPD supercharger
409 Posts
Tbh it wouldn't be a bad idea to pay a bit more for nicer suspension. Tein is pretty mediocre as far as coils go. If you had serious cash you could spring (pun not intended) for Aragosta suspension. But that's probably well above most people's price range.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tbh it wouldn't be a bad idea to pay a bit more for nicer suspension. Tein is pretty mediocre as far as coils go. If you had serious cash you could spring (pun not intended) for Aragosta suspension. But that's probably well above most people's price range.
Yeah. It's just a daily. If I can keep it from chewing front tires and have a little look and handling advantage, I will. If not, I think I can replace the suspension back to aftermarket "stock" from Rock Auto for less than a grand

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-Z w/ HPD supercharger
409 Posts
Yeah. It's just a daily. If I can keep it from chewing front tires and have a little look and handling advantage, I will. If not, I think I can replace the suspension back to aftermarket "stock" from Rock Auto for less than a grand
I'd recommend avoiding cheap replacement parts if at all possible since you drive it every day. If anything that means you should put a bit more thought into it since it's the ride quality and you will be living with day in and day out. But it is ultimately your decision. Many years from now when I want to finalize the build I will dump as much money as needed to get the parts I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
A good alternative high quality suspension that wont break the bank is BC Racing. Youll pay about $1k so its still not cheap but its also not gonna be $3k+ like alot of air ride setups. Ive had my BC Racing in use for about 2+ years with no issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A good alternative high quality suspension that wont break the bank is BC Racing. Youll pay about $1k so its still not cheap but its also not gonna be $3k+ like alot of air ride setups. Ive had my BC Racing in use for about 2+ years with no issues.
I too like the BC coil overs. The spring rates aren't annoying and there is enough adjustment to make it sit right and ride right.
Good to know

Just made the 60 mile drive in this morning, drove way better.

The spring rates haven't really bothered me, I have it pretty much raised all the way up, and the valves set to medium stiff, I just want it to not eat rubber like crazy. I'm gonna continue to monitor the wear now that its got good geometry.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
FSM doesn't give rear toe in angle but it does say total toe in of 3mm +2/-3.

Assuming that 3mm is at the OD of the factory size tire that makes it 0.1386˚ +0.0923˚/-0.1386˚

Or 0˚ to 0.2309˚

If that logic follows you just slightly outside of spec on the left rear.

Found an explanation and calculator for the math.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Supposedly the rear alignment is slightly adjustable by loosening the rear beam bolts and using a pry bar to move the mounts a little bit at a time.

• Helpful
Reactions: Spdbump

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Supposedly the rear alignment is slightly adjustable by loosening the rear beam bolts and using a pry bar to move the mounts a little bit at a time.
But that changes toe on both sides at the same time. Adding to one and removing from the other. The total toe stays the same. Could potentially even out the toe left and right but the total toe is still beyond spec.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts