Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in california and cant pass smog because my catalytic converter went out. Does anyone know if I can use the magna flow oem style aftermarket cat or any other aftermarket cat to replace and pass smog? I'm struggling on funds right now and I really need to get my crz back on the road.. the aftermarket cats are alot cheaper then the oem but idk if they will take away the p0420 code or not. I've been trying to find a used oem one of somebody but I've had no luck.. please if anyone knows how I can go about this please let me know.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
I did a quick search and found Honda CR-Z P0420: Catalyst System Efficiency → Below Threshold → Bank 1 | Drivetrain Resource you may just need to replace the O2 sensor specified and be good to go. O2 sensor is a lot less expensive and problematical than a catalytic converter(especially in California). Another option but is a long shot and has been discussed before is to use one of the guaranteed to pass products to try and clean the whole exhaust system.

Everyone jumps to to the most expensive quickest solution and throwing parts at the issue. You need to do some research and work with a local good mechanic to find the cause and remediate it. I am not saying it can't be the Catalytic converter but more often it is one of the O2 sensors.

Another long shot is it may still be covered by emissions warranty. (see attachment) CA has the longest emissions warranty in the country. 15 Years /150K miles which covers the catalytic converter(s). What is your mileage? All CR-Zs are under the time requirement . Another member mentioned in CA you cannot install a used catalytic converter and there are limitations as to what aftermarket ones you can buy(if any). My hope for you is it is either covered by Warranty or it is an O2 sensor.

From this forum alone here is all the threads mentioning that code

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Definitely check on the warranty, it may be covered under the 15/150 as long as you're not over the mileage. A dealer should be able to tell you.
Any non-OEM replacement would have to be CARB approved, it's unlikely there are any.
There is currently an OEM one being sold here in the classified section, it's in a part- out thread. Let me get the link-

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
May still be an O2 sensor but Warranty is my hope. Needs more diagnostics. If buying used there maybe an issue and it needs to be from a car that was built to the CA standard. CA Is the most strict place in the country for this kind of issue.

·
Banned
433 Posts
All US market CR-Zs are CA emissions.

That cat for sale is not the monitored cat that causes the P0420. You need the cat right off the cylinder head.

It is highly likely the cat is dead. A bad sensor causes a different code. The spacer trick will cause the bad sensor code. Honda does an oxygen storage test on the cat to gauge performance to trigger the P0420. Nearly always a bad cat on a modern Honda.

It is not that a used cat is illegal. It is the sale of a used emissions device that is prohibited for businesses. Personal sale of a used cat is perfectly fine.

Certainly check on the warranty options. If they agree to replace it make damn sure they use the factory part. A shady Honda dealer pulled that with me. Installed a garbage Chinese converter and charged the OEM $2,200 for it.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
This is incorrect the sticker under my hood on my 2013 says Federal does not say CARB , California, Northeast or 50 state. Therefore my car is not CARB, California, Northeast or 50 state legal for emissions. It is Federal only. If another CR-Z from this area were parted out the Catalytic converter would not have the right CARB certification stamped into it and could not legally be used in CA. It would fail a visual check.

My previous car bought in California stated California and the car before that was Northeast.

And many others.

All US market CR-Zs are CA emissions.

That cat for sale is not the monitored cat that causes the P0420. You need the cat right off the cylinder head.

It is highly likely the cat is dead. A bad sensor causes a different code. The spacer trick will cause the bad sensor code. Honda does an oxygen storage test on the cat to gauge performance to trigger the P0420. Nearly always a bad cat on a modern Honda.

It is not that a used cat is illegal. It is the sale of a used emissions device that is prohibited for businesses. Personal sale of a used cat is perfectly fine.

Certainly check on the warranty options. If they agree to replace it make damn sure they use the factory part. A shady Honda dealer pulled that with me. Installed a garbage Chinese converter and charged the OEM $2,200 for it.

·
Banned
433 Posts
I have had two CR-Zs now from CA, both were sold new in CA. There is not a CARB sticker for them. There is no alternative sub model for a CA CR-Z nor is there an alternate part number for the factory catalytic converters. Also no alternate PCM part number but one could argue they are programmable.

Older Honda's do have alternate sub models for CA emissions. The Civic VX comes to mind. Those did have alternate part numbers for specific emissions related devices.

Show us a picture of your under hood emissions sticker. They could have an alternate emissions sticker but as far as the part numbers go that would be the only difference between CA and Fed. Oh and maybe the warranty period on the emissions devices. Other than that same same.

You have even said in the past there is no alterative cat for CA vs Fed emissions.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
Do the words 50 state, CARB or California or northeast show on the sticker on your car? Mine says Federal and per the links I posted it does not meet the requirement. It is possible all CR-Zs have the right certified CATs in other places and may only be the one part number ( efficiencies of scale it would make sense for Honda to do that but why would the cars have different emissions stickers? ) . It is possible, I am just telling you what the sticker on my car says and I will take a picture again. The picture I took was not clear. According to what I posted there would be a CARB certification stamped into the catalytic converter for CA. I do not know I have never been under my car and looked and as you state all are same part number. It would be a question for the CARB entity as to what they require on a replacement. It maybe by the part number. Post your sticker to educate others. I will add mine to this entry when I can take the picture and have it be clear.
Rectangle Font Technology Electronic device Ticket

As I have stated CA is the strictest place in the US and some aftermarket cats state not certified for CA. As you and the OP are in CA that is your and their legal issue if you replace the cat if needed. Just a warning.

What I stated at the time was what I believed ,I have now researched more and it appears there is a difference and the converter may or may not be the same but it has to have the right part number and be recognized by CARB. You live in CA and have had 2 CA cars you can't say all. Of course yours would all match the requirement or the car would not have been sold there. My CR-Z was bought in VA and states federal. Car bought in TX may also be to CA standards depends how the car got there and what the sticker under the hood says. Again economies of scale and how the supply chain worked.

Your logic is flawed they can sell cars that exceed the emissions requirement and have all the parts to meet the requirement but per the sticker on the car it does not have to and per the sticker legally does not. Again economies of scale being lower production maybe they made one system but did not want to get all cars passed for the 50 state or other emissions due to cost of certification but put the same equipment on all.

Your statement that all are CA Emissions is partially right if the parts are all the same but the certification sticker under the hood is different. You make a lot of assumptions based on the car(s) you have seen and worked on. I try to get actual information based on my own experience , what others on this forum and other good sources say. There are many differences you may not be aware of based on your small sample size. We have over 18.4 K members here and that is still a small sample of all the possibilities but we can all learn. I have learned there are differences even I was not aware of. You can't presume from what your car has to what all have world wide (see the thread on cruise control, the minder and many other things we have discovered over the years). In that other thread I stated all appear to be CA for OEM but some of the aftermarket ones specifically stated Not for those certain higher emissions required areas. It is more of a legal issue than an actual issue and has to do with certification and what will happen if the car is moved from state to state.

I still say to the OP to talk to a shop or 2 and make sure it is the Catalytic converter and per the warranty for that area if the mileage is low enough have the dealer replace it under warranty. Problem solved. If the mileage is too high then I would look at the cleaners for guaranteed to pass or O2 sensor to save the money and be able to drive the car.

The other option would be to replace the vehicle but that is even more money especially now with the chip shortage and low supply of good used cars. The point is to help this member solve his immediate problem ( Pass emissions) and get him back on the road. Not set him up for possible legal issues.

As turns out in this case I am wrong my sticker does say California but it could have said federal.

Main point is whatever error you get it needs to be diagnosed properly and if your car's mileage is low enough for the warranty where you are then the catalytic converter is covered under warranty. O2 senors are not . That code is not specific to catalytic converter from the links I provided earlier and as another member mentioned it is a non specific almost generic error that talks about "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)" which could be the Catalytic converter or could be a sensor or any number of other issues. Codes as stated many times do not point to a specific part they point to the specific diagnostic trouble shooting process for that system.

My question is why do we have more CA cars that need catalytic converters and apparently need oil changes more frequently or the MPG drops per the postings further below this one?

I have had two CR-Zs now from CA, both were sold new in CA. There is not a CARB sticker for them. There is no alternative sub model for a CA CR-Z nor is there an alternate part number for the factory catalytic converters. Also no alternate PCM part number but one could argue they are programmable.

Older Honda's do have alternate sub models for CA emissions. The Civic VX comes to mind. Those did have alternate part numbers for specific emissions related devices.

Show us a picture of your under hood emissions sticker. They could have an alternate emissions sticker but as far as the part numbers go that would be the only difference between CA and Fed. Oh and maybe the warranty period on the emissions devices. Other than that same same.

You have even said in the past there is no alterative cat for CA vs Fed emissions.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I am in California and recently had the front cat converter die on me at 164K miles. Happened to throw the cat death code while I had the car in for a simple four-wheel alignment. Friggin expensive. Replaced sensors as well (O2, Air Fuel). $3800, mostly parts; the shop bought them at the local Honda dealer. Only $232 of that was labor. Holy “Cats” but it had to be done.

I spoke with the Honda parts guru to ask if all the fires of the past four years in our area serves to age our converters faster. He didn’t know. All I can say is that it’s always very dusty where I drive, and I replace oil, air and cabin air filters often. About every 2-3 months.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
This is why as soon as you get the code and you are under the mileage you want to get it fixed under warranty. Catalytic converters are very expensive compared to other parts but usually last a long time( life of the car). Some members have been lucky and have been able to replace the O2 sensor(s) or an even smaller sample have gotten away with the Guaranteed to Pass emissions cleaning fluids. It may only work the one time but allows you to get the car on the road while you save for the non warranty fix or find a replacement car.

IMO changing the oil as often as every few months is not needed, changing the 2 air filters in a dusty situation more often makes sense but I only do mine once a year with my wiper blades. Oil by minder ( or the last 2 years, time) is all that is needed. The air filter keeps the dust out of the oil. If the air filters are very dirty then change them but mine always look a little dirty and could be mistaken for new. There is a lot of old information about oil and filters out there. I did upgrade my cabin air filter to a carbon filter it seems to eliminate smells from the car.

As always your car, your money , your choices.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Waiting for the oil minder to tell me to change oil makes my car run poorly. The oil feels gritty, mileage drops a few MPG, so I get it changed at that point. That occurs when the minder’s Oil Life reads about 60% or 70%. My ‘01 Accord V6 behaved similarly.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
My experience with mine has not been that way. But if this is what you have seen then I have no idea why your cars act so differently from the many others here. Many others here go by the minder and do not report the issues you are having. My car has run the same throughout its life no matter what the minder said. Not sure why you would have any "grittyness" unless your engine is extremely worn and was not treated as well by the other owners as you are now treating it. Sounds like an excessively worn engine. A few oil changes should have helped and then should go back to a normal maintenance schedule unless parts are too worn to recover.

What does an oil analysis say for your car? It would be interesting to know what the grittyness is.

It is not that I don't believe you, it just sounds like a situation where for whatever reason your situation is an outlier compared to others on this forum. Maybe both of these cars you have had were treated badly in their previous lives and were so worn that they behaved badly. Oil changes are good but it would be better to repair the actual issues.

Waiting for the oil minder to tell me to change oil makes my car run poorly. The oil feels gritty, mileage drops a few MPG, so I get it changed at that point. That occurs when the minder’s Oil Life reads about 60% or 70%. My ‘01 Accord V6 behaved similarly.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
My experience with mine has not been that way. But if this is what you have seen then I have no idea why your cars act so differently from the many others here. Many others here go by the minder and do not report the issues you are having. My car has run the same throughout its life no matter what the minder said. Not sure why you would have any "grittyness" unless your engine is extremely worn and was not treated as well by the other owners as you are now treating it. Sounds like an excessively worn engine. A few oil changes should have helped and then should go back to a normal maintenance schedule unless parts are too worn to recover.

What does an oil analysis say for your car? It would be interesting to know what the grittyness is.

It is not that I don't believe you, it just sounds like a situation where for whatever reason your situation is an outlier compared to others on this forum. Maybe both of these cars you have had were treated badly in their previous lives and were so worn that they behaved badly. Oil changes are good but it would be better to repair the actual issues.
There are no codes or noises; engine and trans purr. Since the cat was changed the car has more power. I’m the original owner and have treated the car well. Same with the Accord. It’s environmental, I suspect. Dusty in California. The car doesn’t leak or burn oil. I’m switching to a K&N oil filter at the next change to see how that may let the oil stay cleaner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in california and cant pass smog because my catalytic converter went out. Does anyone know if I can use the magna flow oem style aftermarket cat or any other aftermarket cat to replace and pass snaptube vidmate smog? I'm struggling on funds right now and I really need to get my crz back on the road.. the aftermarket cats are alot cheaper then the oem but idk if they will take away the p0420 code or not. I've been trying to find a used oem one of somebody but I've had no luck.. please if anyone knows how I can go about this please let me know.
Thanks.
this what I found searching :
P0420 is a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)". This can happen for multiple reasons and a mechanic needs to diagnose the specific cause for this code to be triggered in your situation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts