Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we all know what the emblem looks like after a lil Plasti Dip, but how about the stock rims? lol

I wanted to go to a shop and take off the rims and actually do a really good job, but these po dunk places out here charging me atleast $50 for a few hours. Not like they have any business either... F8(*)_!!!!
Since I have time on my hands here is what it looks like after 4 half ass coats in my garage. There is still some sides that didn't get it good as the rim was in one position. But I have all week to perfect it. Yes I tape off the brakes n such. oh yea, you can't see it, but there is a slight silver along the top of the RIM. The Plasti Dip just won't stick to it. Still look good tho.

:beer:

·
Registered
675 Posts
I was thinking of doing this very same thing but then this came to mind.

Will let you run them for awhile and see how it goes, please keep me informed:hi5:
haha same here, i actually did them right after i did my emblems. but after a month i just took them off cause liked it better w/o them. and the plasti dip naturally tears off from the rims due to heat of the brakes

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well then im just going to get them matt black powder coated
This is what I am eventually going to do with them. This was just a filler to see how they would like in black. I'm already thinking about peeling it off this weekend. Granted I haven't driven anywhere yet with it.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Spot i know will do them $100 a piece, and i have 4 slightly old rims he is willing to take as a trade for the work but i paid more for the rims but cant use them nore could i sell them for the $800 i paid. Figure i got my $300-400 out of them for the 2 years i had them on my GTi. by the way they are Stern 8 (5x100)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did you plasti dip them?
I pretty much took my time (had lots) taped off brake assembly and got to work. In total I used about 1 1/2 cans. Since doing it, the longest I've driven it was about 40 miles at about 65-70 mph. No issues. Just gotta make sure you get all sides n stuff. Would be easier if you have the capabilities of taking off the wheels. If you plan on doing them post pics afterwards!
:beer:

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey i did mine like 3 months ago still holding up.the only thing is be careful about spraying solvents by it or around dosent like it. I drive a 150 miles a day to work and back the only thing i can say has changed since i sprayed them is that they have faded a little and from my tire shine it has peeled a little where the tire meets the rim cant notice intill u get up hella close:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the only thing i can say has changed since i sprayed them is that they have faded a little and from my tire shine it has peeled a little where the tire meets the rim cant notice intill u get up hella close:thumbsup:
Same here. I was to lazy to peel it off. Still looking good, espcially after a little tire shine on it also. I've been using a Gel type and its holding up! :beer:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys I checked online and there are tons of videos on plastidipping rims (and emblems) on youtube and there are lots of threads on plastidipping the oem rims of other cars if you do a simple google search. Pretty helpful on getting more insight :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.