Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I've been looking through the forum for pictures showing safe locations to jack the car up at and most of them are either blurred out by photobucket or dead links that have no pictures attached to them. I'm not looking to jack up the middle lift points in the middle of the front and rear wheelbase. Just looking for a picture of side jack points that can be used to just lift one corner of the car up. Preferably if you have a picture or some schematic that would show exactly what I need to be looking for. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Super Moderator
5,093 Posts
@Astrolus : check page 1-10 of the factory service manual..

I will add a picture later as it seems like I'm one of the only people here with actual hosting!!
You don’t need hosting you can post directly here by attaching (uploading) then you are not relying on the host being up and working. This was the issue with photo bucket they eventually blocked or limited free accounts. Anything posted directly on this site is still here. Especially if posted after the software upgrades.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
@Spdbump : Good point. I still trust my hosting more (wont disappear with next upgrade years later), and also it allows non-members to view. But, it is nice you can upload now!!

·
Super Moderator
5,093 Posts
Hosting on a personal computer is not a good idea from a security stand point. Non members can see photos posted here. As I said no pictures posted directly to the site were lost at any time all were hosted on other sites or places.

@Spdbump : Good point. I still trust my hosting more (wont disappear with next upgrade years later), and also it allows non-members to view. But, it is nice you can upload now!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hosting on a personal computer is not a good idea from a security stand point. Non members can see photos posted here. As I said no pictures posted directly to the site were lost at any time all were hosted on other sites or places.
I don't own the server its hosted on. I pay for it.. but, its worth it!!

It does kinda suck that in the past people posted up stuff that got wiped out. Almost makes me want to use the way back machine, download the pics, and re-host them myself for all the DIY, other articles that were lost.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i ended up using this place as a jack point. I used the center point between the axle to lift the car up. Here's a pictures showing the location where i placed the jackstand.
IMG_3498.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use the two points in the manual, Super easy if you have a low profile jack or some wood to get the front wheels up and your jack under. This also lets you lift the entire front or rear up at one point and you don't have to move the jack around to teh toher side. Then I'll support it at the pinch welds with a proper ended jack stand.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use the two points in the manual, Super easy if you have a low profile jack or some wood to get the front wheels up and your jack under. This also lets you lift the entire front or rear up at one point and you don't have to move the jack around to teh toher side. Then I'll support it at the pinch welds with a proper ended jack stand.
Do i have my jackstand in the correct position in the pictures i posted above?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Do i have my jackstand in the correct position in the pictures i posted above?
No.. they go in front of the rear wheels, and behind the front wheels on the pinch welds. I'll go grab a pic for you.. If there is still light outside.

Technically, you can put the jack stand here. But i suggest using the pinch welds that run down the side of the car.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Here you go.. as you can see, its just a 'pinch weld' that runs down the side skirt. You put the middle of the stands between these. Sometimes stands have a cut in them, this is what its for:

Front pinch weld (behind front tire):

Rear pinch weld (in front of rear tire):

You can see the car sitting on this point in the front:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Check this video out too. Will show you what the 'unibody' is and where to jack from and place stands:

I personally like jacking the car up from the front subframe (cross frame) in the middle of the car, then you can put the stands under each side.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here you go.. as you can see, its just a 'pinch weld' that runs down the side skirt. You put the middle of the stands between these. Sometimes stands have a cut in them, this is what its for:

Front pinch weld (behind front tire):

Rear pinch weld (in front of rear tire):

You can see the car sitting on this point in the front:
Thanks d1giPhux. Definitely will use this when i go back to finish my brake job

·
Premium Member
5,841 Posts
Thanks litz. Definitely will use this when i go back to finish my brake job
Thanks goes to d1giPhux, but I agree--follow the schematic in the Owner's Manual and/or d1gi's pics above. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Those pinch welds are what I use, make sure you're on the reinforced part and not just the pinch or else you'll damage the car. Also becareful on the type of jackstand becasue some do not have the groove for it to set in. You can even buy a pad for them to go a step further if you want. I also don't raise it on those pinch welds except with the a special jack made for that because you can damage them on some cars. I'll also use a piece of cardboard or a rubber pad on the jack for the rear tow hook to not scratch paint off.

The middle point on the subframe to lift front, tow hook for rear, pinch welds to support (but you can also use stable suspension parts that will fit into the hand/pad of the jackstand like a control arm, swaybar, etc) You want to make sure to use the right points because you can cause damage to the frame. In my RSX one common mistake actually causes frame damage because people either have the jack slip or mistake the core support for subframe and end up with a 1-3" hood gap where they have bent the core support. There are a lot of softer bits that look like full frame but they are part of the crumple zone or are just there for other purposes. I learned this the hard way when my car slipped and caught its self on this.

Just always take your time and triple check it. I always keep in mind that as the car goes up, as you're making a triangle from the jack, floor, and car. The distance between the jack and car has to shorten as the height increases. If I don't see the jack going towards the car as I pump, I know the pad is slipping or the car is being pulled towards the jack and is not stable.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Those pinch welds are what I use, make sure you're on the reinforced part and not just the pinch or else you'll damage the car.
Actually, this is false. Even if you crushed the pinch weld, you would be fine.

Some jacks have a little slot included for the pinch itself.

So yeah.. not entirely true. But good advice for not crushing the pinch weld and being safe!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts