Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Sprint Phone Navigation – Why I did not need the $$$ nav option although it is very nice!

PARTS
(1) Handle off of a plastic storage box (green/red xmas issue).
(1) Sprint Store hard plastic EVO case (only need left side piece).
(4) Pieces of 3M dual lock tape (type 400).
(1) Radio Shack audio cable.

TIME
2 hours

NOTES
Plastic handle needed extensive dremel work and some heat forming.
Unit removable – 1 strip of dual lock remains (underneath dash and not visible).
Very sturdy, min vibration - unit floats around facia does not rub or touch dash.
Audio cable locks phone into case cradle, all controls easily accessible.
Power cable can be removed for super clean look.

WISH LIST
Different color.
Pop off release – this one can be removed but dual lock really wants to stay put.
Pivot to vert and horiz positions.
Adjustable up / down / left / right for better passenger viewing.
Parts integrated to minimize use of dual lock and facilitate pivot / adjust features.

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thinking about getting something similar conjured up for the iPhone. There is a ton of $5 iPhone car mounts on eBay that can be modified for under-the-radio semi-permanent install.

I was never a fan of factory nav units. Very hard to beat Garmin UI or even some of the smartphone nav software options.

I made my own for a MINI at some point and it was my favorite nav implementation, better than the stock one in the 550i.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I built one for my CRZ but found this much better. Higher mount, easy release, snug, looks good and no need to remove the mount hardware. Made for iphone but fits EVO with no case and other phones perfectly. All from amazon, mount and right angle cables (audio and power) about $25 with shipping (I got unit when it was $14.99, w/$10 mail in rebate). The one I made was much lower so you had to look down to see it BUT it was not easily seen by onlookers. This one can be seen! Nice tech look, rotates to portrait with a quick twist and all controls easy to get to. I re-enforced the vent mount with couple of cable ties. I never thought that particular vent was much use as it does not point directly to driver or passenger. Install about 15 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, just got my car Monday and I'm looking for ideas for mounting my phone somewhere on the dash or wherever I can reach it.

I have a ln HTC Incredible with the giant extended battery so I'll need one of those universal mounts. I tried a Scosche air vent kit last night from Target without sucesss. The blades of my air vent are too wide to clip onto and the second set of perpendicular ones are in the way.

I'd prefer the phone be as close to the head unit as possible. I found one kit that lets you mount it almost in the passenger footwell, but that's too far to reach and dangerous to even glance at while driving. I plan on using either the USB header or the auxiliary input to connect to the stereo for music and Bluetooth for calls. Possibly the storage compartment above the head unit?

Thanks for sharing all your ideas and solutions. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Update - that's Auto for heat, so no concern for overheating the phone. Had a warm day today and instead of kicking on heat, it was cycling air within the vehicle and air did flow through that vent, but again, that was cool air.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was lookin for something similar for my iphone 4. I just found one called ProClip on macrumors. It is unique to your phone and car which is nice for placement options. I didn't check out the HTC but I liked the one for the iphone.

Take a look on ProClips

1 - 20 of 103 Posts