Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put their pets in the cargo area yet? I have 2 70lbs staffies and was worried on whether or not they would fit comfortably in the back.. Not long trips but short ones to parks or vet and so on..

·
Registered
693 Posts
Our little 24 pound beatszu ( beagle shitzu mix) fits just fine in the back and I suspect a dog up to about 50 pounds might be just fine, but two 70 pound dogs are not going to have enough room to stand up and turn around. It would be like putting them into too small a crate.

They would fit in the back of my Honda fit with the rear seat lowered, but unless they are trained to lay down and stay without moving, they are not going to be happy riding in the back of a CRZ.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our little 24 pound beatszu ( beagle shitzu mix) fits just fine in the back and I suspect a dog up to about 50 pounds might be just fine, but two 70 pound dogs are not going to have enough room to stand up and turn around. It would be like putting them into too small a crate.

They would fit in the back of my Honda fit with the rear seat lowered, but unless they are trained to lay down and stay without moving, they are not going to be happy riding in the back of a CRZ.
You know its funny you say that, it's either the fit or the crz that I was looking to buy. Its to bad the crz IMHO looks better than the fit.. I will have to measure out the back and see if one can fit in the back with the other in the passenger seat. Like I said though its not often since everything is walking distance.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My 100lb Akita fit just fine in the back when I took him to camp yesterday. I pulled the passenger seat far forward and he didn't miss a beat getting in and settling down for the ride. Need a better cover tho to protect from all the fur. Right now using just a blankie.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Has anyone put their pets in the cargo area yet? I have 2 70lbs staffies and was worried on whether or not they would fit comfortably in the back.. Not long trips but short ones to parks or vet and so on..
Try : A lab, a Catahoula Leapord Dog and a small bull mix. 2 in the back, bull in the front.
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/off-t...t-kinda-roadtrip-few-questions.html#post16412

Shatner might be able to give an idea how this works, if he wants to chime in.. or you can pm him.

Not quite as big as the Staffies... but he is doing a very long trip with them soon.

I did have an 120lb Bernese in back for about a two hour trip.. no problem, except for his snoring!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try : A lab, a Catahoula Leapord Dog and a small bull mix. 2 in the back, bull in the front.
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/off-t...t-kinda-roadtrip-few-questions.html#post16412

Shatner might be able to give an idea how this works, if he wants to chime in.. or you can pm him.

Not quite as big as the Staffies... but he is doing a very long trip with them soon.

I did have an 120lb Bernese in back for about a two hour trip.. no problem, except for his snoring!:rolleyes:
LMao sounds like they will be fine in the back, that catahoula is about the same size as my male, my fem is only 60 and stubby legged. lol .. Thanks guys all very helpful..

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
LMao sounds like they will be fine in the back, that catahoula is about the same size as my male, my fem is only 60 and stubby legged. lol .. Thanks guys all very helpful..
Question: how many pomeranians can one fit into a CR-Z?:cry:

Answer" WHO CARES! :angry: One is enough already!! (aimed at my Pomeranian loving girlfriend!)

Ouch.. she whacked me! :hiding:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I can fit all 3 of my dogs in the car w/ a bit of room for luggage, glass blowing torch and tools and a camera. The only thing I can't fit is my kiln. But that's a 4'x4'x4' oven with handles and other stuff not included in the measurements.

My 2 bigger dogs in the back. A 60# lab and a 50# Catahoula Leopard Dog. My 3rd can fit in the front seat. He's a little 40# bully mix.

It's tight, but it can be done. I'm getting ready to do a road trip from Houston, Tx. to Merida, Yucatan, Mexico with all of the above.

I think you'll be fine with your two dogs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
693 Posts
I can fit all 3 of my dogs in the car w/ a bit of room for luggage, glass blowing torch and tools and a camera. The only thing I can't fit is my kiln. But that's a 4'x4'x4' oven with handles and other stuff not included in the measurements.

My 2 bigger dogs in the back. A 60# lab and a 50# Catahoula Leopard Dog. My 3rd can fit in the front seat. He's a little 40# bully mix.

It's tight, but it can be done. I'm getting ready to do a road trip from Houston, Tx. to Merida, Yucatan, Mexico with all of the above.

I think you'll be fine with your two dogs. :thumbsup:
Can you post a picture of your car loaded with the 2 dogs in the back.
I cannot even imagine?

·
Registered
94 Posts
While I don't plan on carrying my dog in my CR-Z when I get it(except for emergencies), I do plan on carrying live birds of prey, which are transported in dog carriers. The bird I most commonly transport is a redtail hawk who travels in a large dog carrier. I don't have the exact measurements off hand, but I think it's somewhere around 28 inches tall, which unfortunately is just a few inches too tall to fit into the back.

The dealer was kind enough to let me try to fit in the carrier(minus bird), and it was just barely not fitting...might have been able to squeeze it in if I tried, but didn't want to risk scratching the dealer's car.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Can you post a picture of your car loaded with the 2 dogs in the back.
I cannot even imagine?
Lmao I second that!
The 2 bigs really don't take up too much room once they've settled in. They just curl up and sleep. Or if they're awake, Nox, my Lab lays in the very back, on the rubber mat, so he doesn't slip and looks out the rear glass. Locust, my Catahoula, looks out one of the side windows, if not sleeping. LUI, my bully mix fits nicely in the front, curled up or sitting.

Here are some pics. They were a little freaked out at wtf was going on. I've never 'staged' them before, so they weren't in tune w/ me. It will be a bit tight for them until they've chilled out and found their spot.

Loki will curl up at the window and look out when he wants:

Once Nox chills out he lays left to right/right to left. It looks like he's taking up the whole hatch in this pic, but it's an optical illusion. He's on the mat only. Not much room is taken. Locust bailed and got in to the front.

Here's LUI. He's going to be in front:

It's a 3 day trip. So each dog will get rotated.

I've planned how I'm packing: Auto tools are already in the spare tire well. My duffle bag w/ clothes will be in back w/ dogs. My backpack/camera bag will be in the passenger foot well, along with my glass melting torch. My glass (rods and tubes, various diameters) will be in a box between seats and partition. My glass tools will be in the cubbies under the fold down partition and some will be in the box w/ glass.

It'll be tight, but doable. My dogs are super chill and love the car. And I'm taking a bad ass route down the Easter coast of Mexico to the Yucatan, about 3 hours West of Cancun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, ditto on thanks for the pix! :)

We've got a 5 month yellow Lab ("Max") who is already 53 lbs. He's gonna be big (105 lb approx we're told).

I've been car-shopping, and although the CR-Z is atop my list for daily driver I was worried Max wouldn't fit in the back when he's full-grown. Sure appreciate your pix, as it seems he will do fine.

Couple of Q's:
1. How do you get your dogs into the hatch? (ie do they just jump in, or do you lure with treats?) This is our 1st dog, so far Max usually gets into his crate fine for drives.
2. Do you tie them down at all, or do they just lie down and that's that?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yeah, ditto on thanks for the pix! :)

We've got a 5 month yellow Lab ("Max") who is already 53 lbs. He's gonna be big (105 lb approx we're told).

I've been car-shopping, and although the CR-Z is atop my list for daily driver I was worried Max wouldn't fit in the back when he's full-grown. Sure appreciate your pix, as it seems he will do fine.

Couple of Q's:
1. How do you get your dogs into the hatch? (ie do they just jump in, or do you lure with treats?) This is our 1st dog, so far Max usually gets into his crate fine for drives.
2. Do you tie them down at all, or do they just lie down and that's that?

Thanks
No problem on the pics.

I've always had dogs. Since being born, so owning and training comes pretty natural to me. You'll have to give the first dog great training. The second will pretty much learn from the first with your help, of course.

My dogs are used to jumping in to a 3 inch lifted, 33 inch mud tire fj. So they just jump in the hatch, missing any paint. Nox is my oldest and jumping bothers his joints sometimes. When that happens I just let him in the door, into the seat.

I have a harness for dogs in the front seat. The ones in the back just lay down.

What other cars are on your list?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ah good to know about them missing the paint when they jump in. That was my other concern.

We bought a harness this week since Max is outgrowing his existing crate. Guess I'll find out if the harness prevents him from jumping around?

My other car hatchback choices are: Fit, '12 Focus, Mazda3, Insight
The Mazda3 hatch would be an easy choice, if only it came with the smaller engine, which gets decent mpg. I'm torn on the looks of the Fit, otherwise it's great. Test drove the Insight, I liked it overall but found the 1.3 motor a tad buzzy.
So I'm gonna prolly wait until the Focus hatchback comes, then either go with the CR-Z, Insight or Focus.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My CR-Z will be dog free. That is why we have the Sequoia. My GSD starts shedding the moment you say 'car' in excitement.

A cheap dog bed would be a good option. It will help them lay down and give them some padding for the long trip and the vibrations. It will also suck up a little bit of the hair.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.