Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far this has happened to me twice now. I come out to my car and the parking brake will not fully release. I can pull up on the handle and push the button and the handle will return to normal but the brakes do not release. If I the car sets and it warms up outside the brakes release so I feel like it is temperature related. Both times it has occurred it has been below freezing.

Any ideas on what to check?

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
I had an old car( not a honda) that did this and there was some corrosion where the parking brake cable attached at the caliper. Had to spray with WD 40 to clean the rust then I think spray grease. Not sure what to look at on a Honda. Sometimes it is something holding water and it is actual ice which has to melt. My car with that problem I simply did not use the parking brake in Winter till I had all the cables replaced.

Time to shoot the appropriate lube into the cable where ever you can to drive the corrosion and water out.
So far this has happened to me twice now. I come out to my car and the parking brake will not fully release. I can pull up on the handle and push the button and the handle will return to normal but the brakes do not release. If I the car sets and it warms up outside the brakes release so I feel like it is temperature related. Both times it has occurred it has been below freezing.

Any ideas on what to check?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip Spdbump. Your suggestion was one of the things I was going to try just to see if I can bandaid it with some lube. It has to be water related IMO. I did some googling and it seems that this is one of the symptoms on Honda's in the winter related to parking brakes.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
@Eddie70 : on both of the cr-z I have owned, the rear brakes stick. This is due to the caliper pins rusting, and is a common problem on these cars.

You need to pull your calipers apart, clean the holes using sand paper / drill / whatever, and get new pins.

Last year mine was doing this so bad on the rears, it would smoke like crazy while driving. I too was forced to fix it.

Doing it is a bit of a PITA.. so make sure you have some time on hand. I made a cool little took for making the job faster. I used a small wooden dowel with a slit cut in it. That way I could just slide sand paper in the hole in the dowel, wrap it around, and use a drill. This makes cleaning the holes way easier. You can also use a handgun barrel cleaning kit (walmart has them), or Harbor freight has them. I think the HF ones are better quality and do a better job cleaning.

Good luck!! Luckily, you can take the parts off and do this inside if you want. Just pull the caliper bracket from each side and leave the calipers hanging on the car while you work elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Here are some pics too.

The tool I made:

Some pics after a few passes of the tool. I actually got the holes to a polished metal look when done:

The pins themselves (autozone brand):

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
Here are some pics too.

The tool I made....
Some pics after a few passes of the tool. I actually got the holes to a polished metal look when done:

The pins themselves (autozone brand):
Nice! And it's a good idea to not only sand the rust chunks from the rim, where the boot seats in (and packing it with good grease,) but just go ahead and clean up the whole bracket and paint it to prevent further rust from developing on the surface of the bracket. It looks as if the problem with the pins, is that the bracket is rusting and lifting the boot/seal and allowing spaces for air/moisture to get in and around the pin.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Nice! And it's a good idea to not only sand the rust chunks from the rim, where the boot seats in (and packing it with good grease,) but just go ahead and clean up the whole bracket and paint it to prevent further rust from developing on the surface of the bracket. It looks as if the problem with the pins, is that the bracket is rusting and lifting the boot/seal and allowing spaces for air/moisture to get in and around the pin.
So, to recap, sand the following surfaces:

(1) Inside the pin hole
(2) around the circular rim area where the boot goes
(3) Body - if you have time / repaint.

I just did the inside of the hole myself, so good tip on the boot area!! @litz

I may have done it a bit accidentally anyways. Hopefully mine will go another 120k before they seize up again. I did the rears, then 2 weeks later did the fronts.

They are still working good!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts