Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All now that we are in lockdown I am having an issue with my CRZ. After sitting for 3 or 4 days the car will not start.
I charge the battery it seems like it is taking a charge, it is 6 months old.
I usually use the car to commute and this is the first time it has sat for so long.
Car has 230K trouble free miles.
I do have a compustar remote started installed in it for about 4 years.Not sure how much that drains the battery.
I am thinking about getting it disconnected but looking for other ideas.
This has been the best car I have ever owned but maybe the issue has been there all along since I drive the car alot.
Thank You

·
Registered
Honda CR-Z GT Navi 2010
6 Posts
I’ve had battery drain on mine since I bought it in November 2019, and had to buy 3 new batteries since then. My model is a 2010 GT Navi.
I have been told that the HFT module for the Bluetooth hands free could be the issue as it’s a common Honda problem. I will be disconnecting it tomorrow and see if that stops the drain. I will keep you updated .

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
I would be very surprised if the Blue tooth was the issue. Have either of you tried parking the car with the radio turned off? There has to be a fuse you can pull for the Blue Tooth Module

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am getting to old to lay on the floor like that but I will try. Over the weekend I will put a multimeter on it and see what the draw is then start pulling fuses. I know Honda s have had issues with the BT module. But if I can't find it I will get the Remote start removed. It may have always been like that and the problem is now arising as I am working from home.

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
Very few have reported the BT issue but I can see where the remote start can be an issue considering how they are installed and how much they would draw when car is just sitting. It is a well known issue that CR-Zs if not driven ( at least 30 minutes a month Continuously) have battery charge issues. My 2013 EX has not had this issue but I don't have a smart phone so i do not use the BT( even when I had a corporate smart phone the BT seemed to work well but never drained my battery). I make sure I drive The Speed Bump at least once every 2 weeks and ensure IMA and under hood battery are happy. I also make sure the tires are inflated to 33. If you believe the BT module is the issue pull its fuse but I am not sure what else that turns off as the BT is part of the radio but works when radio is turned off.

For cars that sit ,get a trickle charger and all CR-Zs should have a LI-ION Jump starter. I paid $40 for one and make sure I charge it every 3 months and I am buying a smart trickle charger this week and just cleaned my battery terminals.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
110 Posts
You can use a multimeter to check parasitic drain. Set it to Amps, put one lead on the battery ground, the other somewhere on the chassis, on bare metal, and then disconnect the battery. Pull fuses, one by one, until the current drops a lot. It should be below 0.1A with everything off.

Keep the following in mind: 1. Having the door open will drain more battery, since you have the interior lights and the dash light up. My guess is that opening the door also wakes up some systems on the car.
2. Some systems will remain active for a short time after turning off the car. You might need to let it sit for some time (I'd say 15 mins is good, but that's just a guess) to let all the systems go to sleep.
3. Don't try to start your engine with the meter attached. If a lead comes off, or your meter craps out, you risk causing extensive electrical damage to the car.

·
Registered
Honda CR-Z GT Navi 2010
6 Posts
I am getting to old to lay on the floor like that but I will try. Over the weekend I will put a multimeter on it and see what the draw is then start pulling fuses. I know Honda s have had issues with the BT module. But if I can't find it I will get the Remote start removed. It may have always been like that and the problem is now arising as I am working from home.
I’m 58 and I found it no problem and disconnected it. There is a plastic cover under the glove box, just give it a hard pull and it will come off and the the bottom plastic cover by the door will just pull out and you will see the unit just on your left. It has a gray connector on the end which just needs disconnecting. Took me 5 minutes to find and do it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow what a great community, I will test it over the weekend, I just got to drive the car every couple days until then. This can't be good for the battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Better to drive it than not drive it and you could obtain a trickle charger like this one which is what I am considering
4A Fully Automatic Microprocessor Controlled Battery Charger/Maintainer and as I said I have not seen this issue seems a bit odd you need to remove a factory module to resolve this issue.
I have replaced my 12 v battery twice in the last month. All was fine until the Shelter in Place stuff caused the car to sit for a while (weeks). I called AAA they said the battery was gone (car is a 2016 without Navi and this was original battery...around 70K on the car). So, okay, it's probably time. They put in a new battery. Everything is good until I don't drive it for 3 or 4 days and battery is dead again. AAA came out and said the battery test was inconclusive. So he replaced it with a new one under warranty. I have driven in every other day or so and then it went dead again. I jumped it and went for a drive for maybe 40 miles 15 on highway. next day it was fine and I drove to some appointments, etc and ended up driving about 15 miles or so. Day after that it's dead again.
I can get a trickle charger, but I am trying to figure out if my aftermarket Pioneer is causing the drain or ???? Any ideas?

Max

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
Quick test is pull the radio fuse ( or disconnect the radio). You will have no tunes but it is definitive. Radio maybe wired to always on for all functions rather than switched? Trickle charger couldn’t hurt. CR-Zs are known to have battery issues when not driven enough. My first battery died after 2 years when car sat for 1 week on jack stands when wheels were being refinished. CR-Zs do not like to sit.

Something else to consider is the "new" battery may have never gotten fully charged. Remember CR-Zs have no alternator and I believe ( but others argue the point) that they do not continuously charge the under hood battery when the car is being driven.

I am looking at this charger 4A Fully Automatic Microprocessor Controlled Battery Charger/Maintainer or the lowest cost Battery tender from Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Deltran-Battery-Tender-Junior-12V-Automatic-Battery-Charger/108265818

I try to drive mine for at least 30 minutes ( continuous trip) once a week during this pandemic. But I am considering one of the chargers above or equivalent. I have an outlet in the garage where The Speed Bump sleeps so plugging it in is not an issue. I also keep a LI-ION Jump starter in the car which gets charged every 3 months.

I have replaced my 12 v battery twice in the last month. All was fine until the Shelter in Place stuff caused the car to sit for a while (weeks). I called AAA they said the battery was gone (car is a 2016 without Navi and this was original battery...around 70K on the car). So, okay, it's probably time. They put in a new battery. Everything is good until I don't drive it for 3 or 4 days and battery is dead again. AAA came out and said the battery test was inconclusive. So he replaced it with a new one under warranty. I have driven in every other day or so and then it went dead again. I jumped it and went for a drive for maybe 40 miles 15 on highway. next day it was fine and I drove to some appointments, etc and ended up driving about 15 miles or so. Day after that it's dead again.
I can get a trickle charger, but I am trying to figure out if my aftermarket Pioneer is causing the drain or ???? Any ideas?

Max

1 - 13 of 13 Posts