Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having an issue with the paint job? it is like my clear coat is very thin. i have a pine tree in my front yard so i washed the car and then took a clay bar to it. i only did a small area but it seems like it took the clear coat off in that area..... im thinking i will take it back to the dealer and see what they say....

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Anyone having an issue with the paint job? it is like my clear coat is very thin. i have a pine tree in my front yard so i washed the car and then took a clay bar to it. i only did a small area but it seems like it took the clear coat off in that area..... im thinking i will take it back to the dealer and see what they say....
Only in that it seems to chip easier than I think it should... :sadwavey: haven't claybarred it though.. checked it for smoothness when I bought it.. and it didn't need it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
THIS POST COULD NOT HAVE COME AT A WORSE TIME!!! Washing my husbands Element this weekend (2009, 15 months old, less than 12,000 miles) and the paint has bubbled up all over leaving metal exposed!! It looks like someone took a paintball gun to it.

IMMEDIATELY took it back to the dealer to be told that Honda uses eco-friendly paints which are not as durable... In addition the clearcoat is thinner as well due to new environmental laws... And that we should have kept a thicker coat of wax on it :angry:

Why is this only happening to the Honda in the drive? Didn't happen to the Cavalier, the Mini Cooper, or the Toyota Tercel... Just the Honda...

Very frustrating!! PS - don't waste your time with the dealer. They offered me a comp'd wash, polish, & wax...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THIS POST COULD NOT HAVE COME AT A WORSE TIME!!! Washing my husbands Element this weekend (2009, 15 months old, less than 12,000 miles) and the paint has bubbled up all over leaving metal exposed!! It looks like someone took a paintball gun to it.

IMMEDIATELY took it back to the dealer to be told that Honda uses eco-friendly paints which are not as durable... In addition the clearcoat is thinner as well due to new environmental laws... And that we should have kept a thicker coat of wax on it :angry:

Why is this only happening to the Honda in the drive? Didn't happen to the Cavalier, the Mini Cooper, or the Toyota Tercel... Just the Honda...

Very frustrating!! PS - don't waste your time with the dealer. They offered me a comp'd wash, polish, & wax...
Well here is a bit of info.... asian cars have a thinner paint on them vs american and European cars... European cars are thicker due to harsher winters and climates and also their speeds on their highways. If you want a great paint job, either get a European car or pay for it here...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well here is a bit of info.... asian cars have a thinner paint on them vs american and European cars... European cars are thicker due to harsher winters and climates and also their speeds on their highways. If you want a great paint job, either get a European car or pay for it here...
As a painter I would disagree. I have burned through clearcoats with a piece of wet 1000 grit or a gray scotch brite within a few passes on the panel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got my red 2011 CRZex last April............swirls in the paint.........Honda had it detailed in their garage.......then clay bar somewhere else..........then they had another shop wet sand it that does new black BMW's that come in with swirls. Much better and I love the car and people say how nice it looks, but it is hard to keep up and I see little places others wouldn't notice. My friends red eight yr old Mustang paint looks flawless compared to mine, which isn't horrible, but should be top notch. I still am very happy with my car at an easy 42 mpg average and felt Honda tried to make it the best they could, but if the paint starts doing anything weird, I will try to have them repaint down the road if needed. A new car paint job should have some warranty and I have not checked, but again, for now it has to do.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If the clay is your average, run of the mill version, well, I can't see how it could remove the clear:dunno:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.