Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im the IT guy for a car dealer (not Honda) and they love the car.. One of the sales guys was telling me about a treatment they offer for about 1000, but would do for me at cost, of about 350.00. They clay bar the car, then coat it w/ something (sales guy didn't know what, other than "a better clear coat"). I looked at the technical specs, and the coating is PTFE. They do some sort of stain guard on the interior and a few other things too, but im not concerned w/ any of that.

He showed me an example car on the showroom.. 1/2 the hood was done. In the poor light I couldn't see much difference, but I put on a plastic glove and wiped the hood. The untreated side was relatively bumpy. The treated side was smooth as glass.

Is this safe or good? Or bad? I'd appreciate any info.

(sorry, not exactly CR-Z specific, but this is the first car i've ever cared about, and so this is the only car forum i'm on)

·
Registered
693 Posts
This is a product designed to be sold by dealers as a way to maximize profits on new car sales. There is probably nothing wrong with it. But it really is no more than a glorified wax job. It will probably last 6 to 9months before it is worn off by sun and regular washing. It is not some miracle "clear coat" that you can only get from one company.

It certainly is better, much better, than buying a new car and never waxing it, but if you wax your car with a high quality product after you get it, and every 6 months or so after that, you will save money and have a great looking finish for years.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Agree that the dealer applied tx's though good are available much cheaper as DIY. I have treated a LOT of cars and recommend Klasse if you are in a hurry and Zaino if you want to work up a sweat and get the best finish out there. Wash with Dawn to strip off all oils and get down to the clear coat, clay bar it, and then use one of the aforementioned products (Klasse or Zaino).

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!!
I was just reading about Klasse, and topping that w/ carnauba wax. Which Klasse for a new car? The all in one, or the glaze only? (red or gray)
I'll look up the Zaino product now. There are a lot of decisions to be made by a first time detailer! I'm going to do the whole routine.. I want to clay bar it, and everything.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
clay barring a car is POINTLESS when it's really new or undriven... the purpose of the clay bar is to remove impurities such as pollen, dirt, etc... doing this on a brand new car is really pointless as the car hasn't been on the road long enough to build any of this stuff on the surface...

there's a thread on here about what products ppl use on their cars... you should check out that thread for more info on the subject...

·
Registered
56 Posts
This sounds like a paint and fabric protection my dealership offers called Luxcare. I got it for my own CR-Z, and I'm a salesman for my dealership. While the stuff does work great, that's actually pretty irrelevant. The important feature here is that the product has a 5 year warranty...so they could be coating my car with snake oil for all I care. We retail the stuff for $695, but I got it for $250 ( and since I sold it to myself I got a $50 kickback :hi5: )

My suggestion is to find out whether the product you're considering offers a similar warranty. If not, you might as well find yourself a bottle of scotchguard.

·
Registered
239 Posts
clay barring a new car is not pointless. Unless you buy a high end car where they either ship the car in covered trucks or ship them with covers over the cars, they usually use a plastic film to help protect them in shipping from chips and bugs. However, this film can leave behind some residue that would prevent it from being fully clean. If you want the best wax application, it is beneficial to clay bar it. Just go over it with a gloved hand and only clay bar the areas that are rough to the touch.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just finished clay baring my car, after a good wash. The clay picked up a surprising amount of grime. The white bar pretty much turned orange, so I'm thinking it was railroad dust/rust from shipping the car, or something.
Sadly, already have 2 paint chips in my front bumper.. Black plastic showing though after 6 days of owning the car.
Is that just bad luck, or something I could think about complaining to the dealer about?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.