Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something mentioned in another thread brought up a thing I've wondered about: Does going to a lower "gear" with the paddles make a CVT gather a bit more regenerative energy when slowing? I know it wouldn't be much, and probably less than could matter, but I'm curious.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Something mentioned in another thread brought up a thing I've wondered about: Does going to a lower "gear" with the paddles make a CVT gather a bit more regenerative energy when slowing? I know it wouldn't be much, and probably less than could matter, but I'm curious.

I have been wondering that too. It’s been 5 months since I bought the car. I am still trying to see where the max regen happens on the brake pedal before the brake pads kick in. I would start max out the regen long before the red light without anyone behind me. Also, I notice if I use downshift on my cvt, the cvt automatically shifts down for me as I slow down more and it feels as if I were heel-toe shifting

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Where is that fine line between recouping energy for the battery and losing mpg to higher revolutions?
The ECU cuts power to the fuel injectors during engine braking, so that fine line is non-existent. If you're engine braking, you're not using fuel. You actually use more gas coasting down in neutral at 1000 RPM than you would coasting down in 4th at 4000 RPM.

My theory is that the lower gear lets the motor exert more torque against the wheels, extracting more energy into the battery. This is based on my experience with the manual transmission; Regen seems marginally more effective if I downshift through the gears vs. coasting down in 6th gear. I would assume that would carry over to the CVT.

I don't think there's a travel sensor on the regen circuit. Regen is activated by the brake lights, which is why ITEM9 was able to use CVT paddles on his manual transmission to make regen pedals. Regen also comes on when engine braking is active. In ECON and SPORT, regen activates a lot more aggressively just on engine braking, whereas in NORMAL, regen activates most with brake pedal travel.

That said, there's a fine line on the gas pedal that lets you coast in gear with power cut to the injectors and regen not yet activated. So if you hold the throttle at about 5%, you can coast for a long way without using gas.

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,150 Posts
I would think it has to regen more at a lower CVT synthetic "gear" = higher RPM - but might also be harder than necessary on the transmission.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I would think it has to regen more at a lower CVT synthetic "gear" = higher RPM - but might also be harder than necessary on the transmission.
Not any harder than driving at the same load...

The Loads on the CV band would be the same, or less when you account for the brakes taking some energy out of the equation.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Only thing I have ever done to maximize IMA charge is to drive to the top of the parking structure where I used to live when I first bought the car. Put The Speed Bump in low gear ( Pull both paddles back till you see L) and drive slowly to the bottom where I lived this helped park the car with more bars. Not sure if it caused any damage. Sometimes I drove up and down the levels of the garage in low. I have not lived in that type of a building for a long time now and everyplace I have lived since then has a big open flat parking lot.

·
Premium Member
5,622 Posts
I'm not sure about that, but I think it does. I find a little more regen when slowing down by giving slight taps to the throttle while in a lower "gear" with the paddles in sport mode--it keeps the regen going, but also spices it up with a little extra regen in the throttle lift off duration.

I think everything I've done with/to my CVT flies in the face of worrying about being harder than necessary on the transmission. None of it is in the quest of more regen, necessarily, but I think my high-revving CVT attitude keeps the IMA battery from ever dipping below 7 bars on the meter.

Not any harder than driving at the same load...

The Loads on the CV band would be the same, or less when you account for the brakes taking some energy out of the equation.
I don't know where I come down on that. It seems like it's always acting smarter than you are--in any mode, and somewhat prevents you from putting too much load on the transmission (but I'm just flabbergasted at how it work in the real world anyways--but it does.)

·
Premium Member
5,622 Posts
Only thing I have ever done to maximize IMA charge is to drive to the top of the parking structure where I used to live when I first bought the car. Put The Speed Bump in low gear ( Pull both paddles back till you see L) and drive slowly to the bottom where I lived this helped park the car with more bars. Not sure if it caused any damage. Sometimes I drove up and down the levels of the garage in low. I have not lived in that type of a building for a long time now and everyplace I have lived since then has a big open flat parking lot.
I've done three or four consecutive trips around the 11+ miles of the section of the Dragon that we run on in LOW gear, keeping the revs spinning around the 5,000 RPM mark with no (knock wood) ill effects. >:)

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Other than outright abuse, I'd not be concerned too much about wear-and-tear. I'm sure Honda designed the CVT to put up with a lot more shenanigans than any responsible owner would put it through.

I've also noticed how it gears-down if you down-paddle while stopping. Love it.

The Z is a very odd little car, and I suspect in ways that none of us has yet experienced nor anticipated.

I know, calling the speed ranges of the CVT "gears" isn't correct in the usual sense, but in effect, they're still "gears".

Good discussion. Thank you all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts