Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Im not too familiar on what number i should have my shifters on for everyday weather..

I notice it goes up to 7? Am i right?

My question is which number should i use for everyday normal nice weather..

And which number for say rain or snow?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
245 Posts
In all honesty I live in San Diego and snow is stuff of legend here, like big foot, so I wouldnt have the slightest clue. But if you wanted to know the best gear for sunny coastal weather then I am your man :thumbup:
If I were to be in the snow I would probably leave it in normal and let the car decide since we have the luxury of a CVT and not have to worry about changing gears

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
so what about snow? use a low number?
in snow you may want to just leave it in regular D mode and not use the paddles. Experiment with them on nice days but in the snow you dont want to be messing around when its bad out you know?

I had a TSX with an auto and a similar sportshift setup. The car shouldnt let you shift too far up or down in any given situation so you should be within one or two gears of the optimal one. If youre at 6 for instance and find it hard to accelerate drop it down one or two to 4 and you will have an easier time getting up to speed. If youre doing 45 mph its a safe bet that you can be up at 7 cruising.If you drive around for a while youll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In snow or bad weather where you need to drive slow, put your normal mode on, make sure the car stopped and in drive, and hold both padal shifters at the same time for 3 seconds. Your car will go into low mode and an "L" will appear on the dash. Your car will now stay in low while slow driving in the snow. Hit any one of the padal shifters again to resume normal mode, or hit the normal mode button. The CR-Z padal shifters will only shift in Sport mode, which is designed to use like you were driving a 7 speed manual car. Try to up-shift around 3000 rpm. It will downshift automatically for you, or you can downshift yourself. Happy driving.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It'll also upshift for you when you hit redline.

There is no need to use the paddle shifters when driving in snow.
The CVT is amazing at smoothly changing ratios so you are less likely to loose traction. This is part of the reason I bought a CVT car, that and sheer laziness :pP:

Al

·
Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
Paddle shifters are just something to have fun with - out on that dry curvey country road where you can have some fun going around curves, straight-a-ways etc. Not really functional in inclement weather or daily street driving. Use the CVT Sport/Norm/Econ for everyday driving. Leave the paddle shifters alone.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If I drove a CVT I would ignore the shifters and let the computer decide.
(Unless I were going for a specific effect.)

Your computer's selection is going to be more efficient than what you can get out of 7 simulated ratios in any case.
Where you only have 7 choices, the computer can essentially select any point between the highest and lowest ratios available.
(That's why the CVT has better fuel economy than the 6MT.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.