Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from CRZ CVT owners about their use of the paddle shifter.

Do you use is regularly?

Do you find it useful in daily driving or only in performance/sports oriented driving?

Does it do what you want it to do?

What paddles??? I just leave it in drive.

I am a stick shift guy 100%, but I have driven many different automatic transmissions with manual controls. In general, I have never found thses attempts to create a manual out of an automatic to be any kind of a substitute for a real manual transmission, but I would love to hear other perspectives on this specific to the paddle shifters included in the CVT CRZ.

In my short test drive of a CVT CRZ I honestly got no satisfaction from the paddle shifters and found them somewhat confusing, but just how people adjust to them after a month or more of experience, might be different.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I found the paddles to be somewhat of a gimmick, meaning that I doubt I would use them that frequently when I drive. And the novelty would likely wear off quickly. I find them difficult to use if I have to change gears in any situation that I need to steer. Granted it's bad form to shift in a corner, but there are times where you may find yourself in too tall of a gear.

That said, I thought they were quite fun to fire off 3-4 rapid downshifts while scrubbing speed to prepare for a corner in an F1 kind of way. Although, it's a pity we still have the KERS system. ;)

If I saw more traffic jams in my commute, I definitely would have considered a CVT for the auto mode.

Some tests in Japan seemed to imply that the CVT was a little lower on the power curve. On the upside, from reported usage here, they seem to provide higher mpgs than the manual for non-hypermilers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i just came from a porsche '02 911 targa (996) with tip. fun car. (before that had a tuned '07 saturn sky redline. didn't have paddles.)

with the tiptronic, was like a toy.
the tip is a mercedes tranny. felted like it had a zillion ratios.
used it when i wanted to have some fun on the curves. but sharp turning was a problem since the tip paddles were on the steering wheel and were '+' or '-'
for each side.

i like the CRZ's paddles: makes sense. i've used them acouple of times.
in sport mode: it gives you 7 gearing settings. this allows you to stay in gear longer
for higher RPMs. haven't used them that much - but want to. (i've actually like to use the '-' to decelerate - like braking!!)

BTW, the roar of the engine at > 5k RPM sounds like we're pushing it? but rpm limited at 8200rpm?? god knows how that must sound!!

of course you don't have the 320hp of the porsche, but the handling is there. and in sport mode - pretty zippy!!!

later
dan

p.s. used to be a manual tran guys, but getting old and traffic in LA is soo bad!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Aside from 10 years ago in a Celica, this is the only automatic I have owned. I am traditionally a manual guy because no matter what vehicle I own it has to be entertaining to drive. The Mrs. tho would not drive my old manual cars and we planned on buying an automatic this time so we could both enjoy the vehicle(drive anyway). I drove some full autos and came to the conclusion that I just could not do it and was boring. :bored: I was first looking at sport shift vehicles with the autostick + and - on the center console but then tried the paddle shift option and was hooked. Although the CVT transmission doesnt shift and/or vary rpm's much(could be because there are 7 ratios:thumbsup:) like a traditional tranny the fake GEAR ratio's are still very fun.

Are the paddles a gimmick.... No they still shift your rpm's low or high for what you need and very enjoyable. I spend most of my time in sport using the paddles when not cruising freeway when Im in econ mode anyway. (The Mrs enjoys being able to shift the car too) I do as well like the F1 like deacceleration-like engine braking while downshifting up to a turn.

Only way to know what you like tho is to drive both back to back driving the same route. :popcorn:

Reactions: Kei_Loper

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Not sure if it's because I'm in normal and econ mode most of the time, but I've noticed that paddles have a bit of a 'screw u' attitude and within about three seconds either shift to whatever it thinks it should be at or refuses paddle input (ie. no I don't like your selection so I do not acknowledge your request). Does it only get full function in sport mode or did I forget to twiddle some control setting? :p

·
Registered
360 Posts
Not sure if it's because I'm in normal and econ mode most of the time, but I've noticed that paddles have a bit of a 'screw u' attitude and within about three seconds either shift to whatever it thinks it should be at or refuses paddle input (ie. no I don't like your selection so I do not acknowledge your request). Does it only get full function in sport mode or did I forget to twiddle some control setting? :p
I believe in Normal and Econ modes the paddle shifters will revert back to full auto after a period of time.

Here's the section of the owner's manual dealing with the paddle shifters...

Use the paddle shifters to change between first and seventh speeds without removing your hands from the steering wheel. The transmission switches to the 7-speed manual shift mode when you pull a paddle shifter while driving. This mode is useful when engine braking is needed.

You can cancel this mode by pressing any of the three driving mode buttons, or pulling the paddle shifter for a few seconds.

■ When the Driving Mode is in ECON or NORMAL
The shift mode goes into the 7-speed manual shift mode temporarily, and the number is displayed in the shift indicator. The 7-speed manual shift mode is canceled automatically if you drive at constant speed or accelerate, and the number in the shift indicator goes off. The 7-speed manual shift mode is especially useful when reducing the vehicle speed temporarily before making a turn.

■ When the Driving Mode is in SPORT
The shift mode goes into the 7-speed manual shift mode. The [M] indicator and the speed number are displayed in the shift indicator. As the vehicle speed slows down, the transmission automatically shifts down accordingly. When the vehicle comes to a stop, it automatically shifts down into first.

If the vehicle speed increases and the engine speed reaches near the tachometer’s red zone, the transmission automatically shifts up.

You also have a low gear mode and here's the owner's manual info on that...

Use this mode to get more power when climbing hills. To switch to the L mode, pull and hold both paddle shifters (- and +) at the same time with the shift lever in D.
To cancel this mode, pull and hold both paddle shifters again, or press any of the three driving mode buttons. The [L] indicator goes off.

I hope this is helpful! :)
Lee

·
Registered
1 Posts
I test drove the CR-Z with A/T and used the shift paddles and IMO I didn't like the feeling of "fake gears". I will definitely go for the 6sp M/T. Honda's A/T's are great because my wife has a fit w paddle shifters and I love it. I'm just not a fan of CVTs

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
You also have a low gear mode and here's the owner's manual info on that...

Use this mode to get more power when climbing hills. To switch to the L mode, pull and hold both paddle shifters (- and +) at the same time with the shift lever in D.
To cancel this mode, pull and hold both paddle shifters again, or press any of the three driving mode buttons. The [L] indicator goes off.

I hope this is helpful! :)
Lee
I tried this last night and it didn't work. I was in ECON mode though and that might be why.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have a CVT and think it's partly gimmik. I generally leave it in Sport so it won't shift. The only time I use the paddle is for 'simu-downshifting' to a gear where power is more plentiful or to hold a gear through a curve or turn. After that, I just put it back in auto mode by hitting sport again.

If you don't use the paddle shifters, except when as mentioned above, your car will accelerate faster. Simply because it's sitting in the fatty part of the power band, and not dropping revs to come back to the PB.

All imo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drive most of the time in ECON mode. I do use the paddle shifter occasionally, mostly to upshift. Sometimes if the car is traveling at a good speed and the rpms seem high, I'll tap the + to force it to upshift (usually from 6th to 7th). You can cruise in top gear as low as 35-40 mph. The tach will be just above 1000 rpm.

When downshifting, I only tap - to get extra oomph to get up hills. Otherwise you gotta really stomp down on the gas pedal in ECON mode to get her to go. I never downshift to bleed speed. Instead I lightly hit the brakes and it will recharge the battery.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Yea, partly gimmick but can have its uses on the fun scale when driving that extra curvy country road.

Don't normally use it. Both hands on the steering wheel with fingers on the shifter? Nope. One hand on the wheel with the other arm on the arm rest and hand resting on the shifter or underside of the wheel. Much more comfortable for everyday commuting.

But still, a nice option and glad they gave it to us.

R/Scott

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use the paddles always for down shifting when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I use the paddles always for down shifting when coming to a stop.
Brake pads are easy and way cheaper to replace than the rods the band grabs on the cone within the CVT.

Just sayin'

·
Registered
123 Posts
Brake pads are easy and way cheaper to replace than the rods the band grabs on the cone within the CVT.

Just sayin'
So its not a good idea. I will stop it if their is a problem.I don't down shift and put in a lower gear with higher rpm an d have the motor start racing. Thanks for the reasoning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bought the CRZ in Dec.

On track to do 35-40,000 km this year.
I drive it everyday and use the paddles everytime I drive.

As far as Im concerned, Im driving a manual car that has the option to go auto in traffic situations or when you're eating / drinking etc.
For the record, I had owned 3 or 4 crx's, a civic and an accord (87 crx, 89 crx, 90 crx, and 92 accord) most of them being manual.

Does it have the same effect as a manual in terms of torque? Im thinking other wise, mainly because I have not driven a 6mt CRZ.
But it would make sense that the manual would have better 'manual qualities'.

Does it feel gimmicky?
I personally dont think so - but some may.

Does it make the car more exciting to drive?
100%

Would I buy another CVT with manual option?
100% over a standard (and exclusive) auto trans.
Going back to a regular auto trans would be kind of boring now.

·
Registered
452 Posts
If it had a legit transmission with real gears I would have chosen the paddles, but it doesn't it has a cvt. essentially just one gear. therefor the manual. so My vote goes to Gimmick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.