Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
It is not worth it to risk the warranty so early on. If for some reason something goes wrong, they will find out you replaced the gasket during breakdown and there goes your 5/60k powertrain warranty! And if you try to quote Magnuson-Moss, a gasket leak/overtightening/etc can be linked to numerous internal engine faults.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Parts like this are nothing but a placebo.

The air going into your engine isn't in the intake long enough for these to make any noticable difference. If it did, the car would come that way from the factory.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It is not worth it to risk the warranty so early on. If for some reason something goes wrong, they will find out you replaced the gasket during breakdown and there goes your 5/60k powertrain warranty! And if you try to quote Magnuson-Moss, a gasket leak/overtightening/etc can be linked to numerous internal engine faults.
i've been on the forums since the end of 2005 and to this day, i have yet to see ONE claim of the IMG being links to ANY issue with a car... that's just my experience... i just don't see this as plausible...
Parts like this are nothing but a placebo.

The air going into your engine isn't in the intake long enough for these to make any noticable difference. If it did, the car would come that way from the factory.
you're kidding right?? that's like saying "the air that passes through the radiator coils isn't staying on the coils long enough for it to cool it down"

you should know better, assuming you drive an Si sedan... i dare you to drive your car hard and then pop the hood and hold your intake manifold for 15seconds after that run... these gaskets do work and may not be a drastic increase in power but they for sure keep the intake manifold much cooler... especially when the car is driven hard...

just an FYI for everyone that might not know... the stock IMG is metal and since the head is aluminum and so is the intake manifold, the heat transfer is extremely high and the only thing that cools it down is the air that passes by it with you're driving... the IMG helps to not allow so much heat transfer to the manifold resulting in not only a cooler manifold but COOLER AIR going into your engine... hot air is already expanded so if it enters your engine like that, it won't have as much expansion power as cool air entering your engine...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
shit i wrapped my CAI with high heat insulation just to keep the tube heat down, after a run i couldnt hold it but i could touch it longer then i could without it. Im sure that in conjuction with that gasket would be nice... if it didnt void the warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey,

We have done lots of testing on our gaskets, and have proven drops in intake air temps. Typically we put a intake air temp sensor in the intake manifold and log it in the ecu. Drive the car with the gasket, and without the gasket, and log the daily air temps both ways. The gaskets have proven themselves time after time to drop intake air temps. The hp gain from lower intake air temps varies, and may not always be a big or noticable hp gain, but the benefits from lower intake air temps is always there, and is cost effective.

In terms of warrenty. The dealer has the right to void your warrenty, but its just like any other part. They can try to void your warrenty for a short ram intake, or even a aftermarket exhaust system. But in most cases, the dealer wont even notice you have a aftermarket intake gasket. I used to have them on my personal 2009 Honda Ridgeline. I took the car to the dealer for all the regular services, and when i traded it in. THey still did not even notice i had the thermal intake manifold and throttle body gaskets on the vechile.

Well below is a simple test we did on our gaskets on a 2008 Honda Civic SI.
-----------------------------------------
This test was done on a 2007 Honda Civic Si.

This was a very simple test to show how P2R Thermal Intake Manifold Gaskets help keep your HP up by keeping the intake manifold temps cooler.

We did 3 back to back pulls without the P2R gasket. We only waited 30 seconds between pulls without turning off the car.

As you can see each pull the HP went down.

We then installed the P2R Power Rev Racing Thermal Intake Manifold Gasket and did the same thing again. 3 back to back pulls with 30 seconds in between and not turning off the car between pulls.

There was a 1 hp gain, and HP stayed consistent each pull and didn't go down as it did when the car didn't have the P2R gasket.

This test was done to show how P2R Thermal Gaskets can help make your HP numbers more consistent, which is very important in real life situations. Keeping intake manifold temps down is key when it comes to making HP.

Note: All pulls were done using a dyno feature which is called Snapshot. Snapshot is a feature which allows you to do dyno pulls without hooking up an RPM pickup on the car. This is why you will see that the rpm might be off by 100-200 rpms in some pulls. Because of this the TQ numbers can be off by 1-2 ft lb TQ, however; HP numbers are always correct.

Hope you all enjoy this test, as we did it for you :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Do you have a dyno run for a Type R decal? ;)

(Just kidding. Nice presentation!) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
i've been on the forums since the end of 2005 and to this day, i have yet to see ONE claim of the IMG being links to ANY issue with a car... that's just my experience... i just don't see this as plausible...

you're kidding right?? that's like saying "the air that passes through the radiator coils isn't staying on the coils long enough for it to cool it down"

you should know better, assuming you drive an Si sedan... i dare you to drive your car hard and then pop the hood and hold your intake manifold for 15seconds after that run... these gaskets do work and may not be a drastic increase in power but they for sure keep the intake manifold much cooler... especially when the car is driven hard...

just an FYI for everyone that might not know... the stock IMG is metal and since the head is aluminum and so is the intake manifold, the heat transfer is extremely high and the only thing that cools it down is the air that passes by it with you're driving... the IMG helps to not allow so much heat transfer to the manifold resulting in not only a cooler manifold but COOLER AIR going into your engine... hot air is already expanded so if it enters your engine like that, it won't have as much expansion power as cool air entering your engine...
The problem is with your radiator comparison is that its filled with a liquid whereas your IM is not. Liquid transfers heat much more effectively than a solid piece of aluminum or steel.

If you want to go to all the trouble and expense of installing this, that's your call.

While the graphs posted are compelling, the reason this doesn't apply to the CR-Z is because you're going to degrade the battery boost/assist long before you could do 3 WOT pulls 30 seconds apart, rendering the "benefits" of this plastic spacer immeasurable.

Dyno charts / results can be used to prove / disprove anything.

For all we know the runs without spacer were done with the hood closed, and then the spacer pulls were with the hood open.

At the end of the day, you're not going to notice the benefits on the street or the track.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The problem is with your radiator comparison is that its filled with a liquid whereas your IM is not. Liquid transfers heat much more effectively than a solid piece of aluminum or steel.

If you want to go to all the trouble and expense of installing this, that's your call.

While the graphs posted are compelling, the reason this doesn't apply to the CR-Z is because you're going to degrade the battery boost/assist long before you could do 3 WOT pulls 30 seconds apart, rendering the "benefits" of this plastic spacer immeasurable.

Dyno charts / results can be used to prove / disprove anything.

For all we know the runs without spacer were done with the hood closed, and then the spacer pulls were with the hood open.

At the end of the day, you're not going to notice the benefits on the street or the track.
so because u don't have the coolent running threw the Im u shouldnt have a gasket that would lower the heat temp? I dunno bout u but having the gasket there would be the same as running coolent were the gasket is. I am going to do this gasket and remove the coolent from the tbs so the air Going in is alot cooler.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I dont mean to jump down anybody's throats, the first post I didn't even go over what the product really was (just went with the first pessimistic thought that came to my head). Looking back over it, I really don't see how a gasket can lower temperatures that drastically. This seems like another tornado gimmick.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the "tornado" isn't even the same product...

on the intake side there are a few options when changing out parts, i'll list them for you:

• CAI/SRI (cold air intake/short ram intake) - this part gets added after the TB (throttle body).
  • TB - companies sell larger TB's that allow for more airflow.
  • TBG (throttle body gasket) - makes it easier to remove/install the TB.
  • TBS (TB spacer) - this is the "tornado" part you were referring to... but believe it or not they actually work!
  • IM (intake manifold) - self explanatory
  • IMG (IM gasket) - this is what this thread is about and the results are above.

optional things are:
  • Coolant Bypass - this reroutes the coolant from passing through either the IM or the TB.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the "tornado" isn't even the same product...

on the intake side there are a few options when changing out parts, i'll list them for you:

• CAI/SRI (cold air intake/short ram intake) - this part gets added after the TB (throttle body).
  • TB - companies sell larger TB's that allow for more airflow.
  • TBG (throttle body gasket) - makes it easier to remove/install the TB.
  • TBS (TB spacer) - this is the "tornado" part you were referring to... but believe it or not they actually work!
  • IM (intake manifold) - self explanatory
  • IMG (IM gasket) - this is what this thread is about and the results are above.

optional things are:
  • Coolant Bypass - this reroutes the coolant from passing through either the IM or the TB.
:pP: do all of the above then come back and say it didnt work or do the above and leave something out then try it with what your missing and talk.. each thing has its purpose. I did alot of trial and error on my auto lx unrestricting air flow lowering temps covering the IM with heat wrap exhaust cai with that stuff reroute the coolent in the end every lil thing helps This is cheap easy to install and does alot more prop then your CAI would .

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hey,

We have done lots of testing on our gaskets, and have proven drops in intake air temps. Typically we put a intake air temp sensor in the intake manifold and log it in the ecu. Drive the car with the gasket, and without the gasket, and log the daily air temps both ways. The gaskets have proven themselves time after time to drop intake air temps. The hp gain from lower intake air temps varies, and may not always be a big or noticable hp gain, but the benefits from lower intake air temps is always there, and is cost effective.

In terms of warrenty. The dealer has the right to void your warrenty, but its just like any other part. They can try to void your warrenty for a short ram intake, or even a aftermarket exhaust system. But in most cases, the dealer wont even notice you have a aftermarket intake gasket. I used to have them on my personal 2009 Honda Ridgeline. I took the car to the dealer for all the regular services, and when i traded it in. THey still did not even notice i had the thermal intake manifold and throttle body gaskets on the vechile.

Well below is a simple test we did on our gaskets on a 2008 Honda Civic SI.
This test was done on a 2007 Honda Civic Si.

This was a very simple test to show how P2R Thermal Intake Manifold Gaskets help keep your HP up by keeping the intake manifold temps cooler.

We did 3 back to back pulls without the P2R gasket. We only waited 30 seconds between pulls without turning off the car.

As you can see each pull the HP went down.

We then installed the P2R Power Rev Racing Thermal Intake Manifold Gasket and did the same thing again. 3 back to back pulls with 30 seconds in between and not turning off the car between pulls.

There was a 1 hp gain, and HP stayed consistent each pull and didn't go down as it did when the car didn't have the P2R gasket.

This test was done to show how P2R Thermal Gaskets can help make your HP numbers more consistent, which is very important in real life situations. Keeping intake manifold temps down is key when it comes to making HP.

Note: All pulls were done using a dyno feature which is called Snapshot. Snapshot is a feature which allows you to do dyno pulls without hooking up an RPM pickup on the car. This is why you will see that the rpm might be off by 100-200 rpms in some pulls. Because of this the TQ numbers can be off by 1-2 ft lb TQ, however; HP numbers are always correct.

Hope you all enjoy this test, as we did it for you :)
Yeah, it's a 1hp gain, but the car is obviously not stock, according to the dyno sheets. What else is on the car? I don't think there would be any hp gained on an otherwise stock car. Just a more consistent hp, because of the cooling.

·
Banned
67 Posts
it doesnt void my warranty and its always stacked on my "prevent" defense as a sure tackle.

Yeah, it's a 1hp gain, but the car is obviously not stock, according to the dyno sheets. What else is on the car? I don't think there would be any hp gained on an otherwise stock car. Just a more consistent hp, because of the cooling.

oh and bro you never want to use pure form data and peak numbers when considering data. keep an open mind and try to list all the advantages. i dont have time right now but the benny's are a plenty for this gasket. like i said, ive built some insanely fast track cars that were 99% OEM. its all about having the right balance of power and handling and MOST IMPORTANLY dependability. you dont get any points for a DNF ;)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
it doesnt void my warranty and its always stacked on my "prevent" defense as a sure tackle.

oh and bro you never want to use pure form data and peak numbers when considering data. keep an open mind and try to list all the advantages. i dont have time right now but the benny's are a plenty for this gasket. like i said, ive built some insanely fast track cars that were 99% OEM. its all about having the right balance of power and handling and MOST IMPORTANLY dependability. you dont get any points for a DNF ;)
I'm aware how to read a dyno graph. ;) There's a lot more to consider than peak numbers. ambient air temp, humidity, number corrections, area under the curve. That's just some of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.