Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
To Moosebreath: please let us know what you find. I've had three CR-Z's - new 2013 base/manual, new 2014 base/manual, used 2015 EX/manual. The last two had twitchy highway steering that I could not resolve (on either one) with alignments or tires. The 2014 initial purchase and drive from L.A. to Phoenix was ridiculously exhausting as you always had to have two hands on the wheel, constantly correcting to maintain lane-centering. I got rid of the 2014 and dumb-me rolled the dice on a 2015 - and while it was better, it was always two hands on the wheel when speed was in excess of 60MPH. New tires and alignments on the 2014 & 2015, but I could never get them to steer like the 2013. It drove me nuts and out of the CR-Z.

For some reason - I'm entertaining buying a fourth CR-Z, there's just something about it...

·
Super Moderator
7,163 Posts
Tires and alignments are first steps. As they are all used cars and you have no idea what the previous driver(s) did, you have to have an ASE certified in suspension Technician go over the whole suspension with a fine tooth comb and fix anything that is out of specification.

If you like the car it makes more sense to do that than to buy another one you do not know the history of and roll the dice (again) as you did .

To Moosebreath: please let us know what you find. I've had three CR-Z's - new 2013 base/manual, new 2014 base/manual, used 2015 EX/manual. The last two had twitchy highway steering that I could not resolve (on either one) with alignments or tires. The 2014 initial purchase and drive from L.A. to Phoenix was ridiculously exhausting as you always had to have two hands on the wheel, constantly correcting to maintain lane-centering. I got rid of the 2014 and dumb-me rolled the dice on a 2015 - and while it was better, it was always two hands on the wheel when speed was in excess of 60MPH. New tires and alignments on the 2014 & 2015, but I could never get them to steer like the 2013. It drove me nuts and out of the CR-Z.

For some reason - I'm entertaining buying a fourth CR-Z, there's just something about it...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tires and alignments are first steps. As they are all used cars and you have no idea what the previous driver(s) did, you have to have an ASE certified in suspension Technician go over the whole suspension with a fine tooth comb and fix anything that is out of specification.

If you like the car it makes more sense to do that than to buy another one you do not know the history of and roll the dice (again) as you did .
Super logical from a troubleshooting point of view - but the time/effort to chase down the issue... it was convenient to unload the 2014 and try another. I thought it was just a fluke on the 2014, but that wasn't the case. After having the same issues on unit 3, it was time for it to go. I'd really like to see someone who has this issue see it to resolution. Spending hours/days/dealer/shops @$125/hr - yeah, no.

·
Super Moderator
7,163 Posts
Your car your money your choice but here you are thinking about a 4th rare discontinued car . With your experience why would you even think of buying another one? My 2013 does not have this issue and many here do not have the issue and there are many more owners who have them but do not post on this forum. if it was a common non repairable issue there would be many more postings on this forum alone. There has to be some part that on the ones you have had that was out of specification for some reason and a good certified technician may have been able to resolve the issue but you kept rolling the dice. It may have been less expensive to have diagnosed than to spend the money to replace it now three times but we will never know.

Thank you for telling us your experience.

Super logical from a troubleshooting point of view - but the time/effort to chase down the issue... it was convenient to unload the 2014 and try another. I thought it was just a fluke on the 2014, but that wasn't the case. After having the same issues on unit 3, it was time for it to go. I'd really like to see someone who has this issue see it to resolution. Spending hours/days/dealer/shops @$125/hr - yeah, no.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your car your money your choice but here you are thinking about a 4th rare discontinued car . With your experience why would you even think of buying another one? My 2013 does not have this issue and many here do not have the issue and there are many more owners who have them but do not post on this forum. if it was a common non repairable issue there would be many more postings on this forum alone. There has to be some part that on the ones you have had that was out of specification for some reason and a good certified technician may have been able to resolve the issue but you kept rolling the dice. It may have been less expensive to have diagnosed than to spend the money to replace it now three times but we will never know.

Thank you for telling us your experience.
np. cars are possessions and it’s only money...

·
Super Moderator
7,163 Posts
Anyone who is currently having this issue have you tried to make sure all tires are the same( and outside is outside and if directional in the right direction), have the same PSI ( not higher than the recommended 30 PSI(+ or - 5PSI ), Lug nuts re-torqued in a circle and to the proper rating? All of what is listed above is easy and inexpensive to try.

In my past one or more of the above has affected cars I have owned and is why I keep a torque wrench in my car and an accurate air gauge. I check lug nut torque when wheels are removed and I check air pressure every 2 weeks.

One car I owned at some point the tires were way over inflated and the car wandered all over the place. Had similar with a car where lug nuts were tightened in a circle instead of the diagonal star pattern.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts