Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread about this about a year ago. I had my Z a year and a half now and the steering is overly sensitive to the point that it is a pain in the neck to drive freeway speeds for any length of time. You have to constantly make micro corrections in the steering or it will start to drift in the lane. Nothing hair raising or quick but it’s hard to track in the center of the lane. The car tends to drift a little bit to the right and to the left and back to the right and you’re constantly making these little tiny corrections. You can’t take your eyes off the lane at freeway speeds. Same deal in town. I spoke to the Honda dealer today and the service guy said that he thought it had to do with electric steering rather than one that was fluid driven. I have an appointment to take it in on the 18th of this month and have the steering looked at. If anyone could offer anything or any ideas so I could talk more intelligently when I get in there I would appreciate it. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,991 Posts
2 notes yes the steering is electric and different drive modes affect the sensitivity. Most sensitive in sport but still should not drift. Something maybe loose or you may have damage to some part of the suspension up to and including a damaged belt in a tire.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tires are a year old but the same thing was going on with the tires that came with the car. Before I got it it was involved in a front end collision. From what I can gather not a bad one however I had a body shop tell me that the part of the frame that holds the bumper on was bent and the bumper was not fitting just right. It has been fixed and fits perfect now but that may have something to do with the steering problem.

·
Registered
2015 PWP Base MT
57 Posts
What you're describing sounds exactly like what I've been going through as far as the way your car is behaving. For me, a bushing on the rear torsion beam is broken. I see that you mentioned a front end collision that was repaired, but don't forget to consider the rear suspension as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I am not a car guy as far as mechanic or anything other than just the basic basic fix it. The car drives OK but not like any car I’ve ever driven. I have put up with it for a year and a half hoping that it was just an idiosyncrasie that I would get used to but it is not. Everything else about the car I love but when I take a 200 mile trip on the interstate after about 15 to 20 minutes it is not a battle to keep it in the lane but it just takes an overly amount of concentration on the lane to keep it in the middle. In years past if a car drove like this I would have said when they did the alignment it didn’t have enough toe in in the front and you end up having to herd it down the highway.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When going into a nice easy freeway curve, it tracks great like any car. Its the straight aways that I have to micro correct. I had a 4 wheel or front wheel alignment done when I bought the tires a year ago where I have been getting all tire and alignment work done forever. It doesn’t pull in any one direction just little back and forth corrections on the straight. Dats it.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Are your tires wearing evenly? It's entirely possible that the bushings or some other suspension or steering component is worn/loose, as mentioned by others. In some cases, that can show in how the tires are wearing. Seems a little odd to me though. In cars that I've driven with alignment, suspension, or steering equipment issues they've always been lacking or slow to respond to steering input, not uber sensitive as you describe. Hope you get it all sorted out soon!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you and all of you for your response. It will be going to the Honda shop later this month and we will get it sorted out. I just wanted to get your views so I could speak somewhat intelligently when I go into battle the giant. Thank you all again

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Find an alignment shop that knows what 'caster' is. The CR-Z has a very limited amount but if they're really knowledgeable alignment techs then they'll know you can shift the front subframe just enough to get a small caster adjustment on this car (and many others that don't have more traditional methods of caster adjustment). Then they'll do toe adjustment after.

First time I did this I was blown away. It'll help keep the steering wheel more centered, especially on the freeway and turning will feel much better as well. Another recommendation is to pair this with the SPC camber bolts and dial in some negative camber.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Believe it or not I am writing all this down, from everyone, to take to the dealer this month. I figure they can check for anything mechanical that needs replaced or tightened or adjusted and do an alignment with what you have said in mind. Then to an alignment shop if that doesn’t work. Good heavens! The motor didn’t fall out! This should be a relatively easy fix for a dealer I would think. Thanks guys!!👊

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Find an alignment shop that knows what 'caster' is. The CR-Z has a very limited amount but if they're really knowledgeable alignment techs then they'll know you can shift the front subframe just enough to get a small caster adjustment on this car (and many others that don't have more traditional methods of caster adjustment). Then they'll do toe adjustment after.

First time I did this I was blown away. It'll help keep the steering wheel more centered, especially on the freeway and turning will feel much better as well. Another recommendation is to pair this with the SPC camber bolts and dial in some negative camber.
This drives like there is zero toe in. I have driven a friends car that had zero toe in and you have to herd it down the road. Constant micro adjustments to keep it straight like my Z. I had new tires put on a year ago and an alignment at Tire Kingdom where I have had stuff done forever with no problems but nothing changed at all.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
This drives like there is zero toe in. I have driven a friends car that had zero toe in and you have to herd it down the road. Constant micro adjustments to keep it straight like my Z. I had new tires put on a year ago and an alignment at Tire Kingdom where I have had stuff done forever with no problems but nothing changed at all.
Yes the CR-Z is zero toe from the factory. Thats different from caster though.

And you don't want any toe-in, not on the front anyway. Toe-in would only be a consideration for the rear (which CR-Z cannot adjust) and only for a dedicated road-course vehicle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes the CR-Z is zero toe from the factory. Thats different from caster though.

And you don't want any toe-in, not on the front anyway. Toe-in would only be a consideration for the rear (which CR-Z cannot adjust) and only for a dedicated road-course vehicle.
Like I said. I ain’t a car mechanical guy. I just know that it doesn’t steer properly. Nothing detrimental or dangerous, just not right. Doesn’t pull left or right. I just want it ti steer comfortably. Thanks bud.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Yes. So call around to some alignment shops and see if you can find one that is familiar with FWD front lower subframe shift for caster adjustment. Or not.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes. So call around to some alignment shops and see if you can find one that is familiar with FWD front lower subframe shift for caster adjustment. Or not.
The Honda dealer should be able to handle that, correct? If it’s just some type of an alignment problem I would think the dealer would be versed enough to be able to fix this. It’s not that serious of a thing that requires some type of custom specialty shop work I wouldn’t think.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The Honda dealer should be able to handle that, correct? If it’s just some type of an alignment problem I would think the dealer would be versed enough to be able to fix this. It’s not that serious of a thing that requires some type of custom specialty shop work I wouldn’t think.
Some might, some might not. I've known of two alignment shops that openly offer it, which is good and I assume more know about it and do it regularly. One shop charges a little bit more for it (it's a bunch more work than standard two-wheel alignment) but it's ok because their prices are already reasonable and they do great work.

Some more info:
"Caster causes a wheel to align with the direction of travel, and can be accomplished either by caster displacement or caster angle...

The purpose of this is to provide a degree of self-centering for the steering—the wheel casters around in order to trail behind the axis of steering. This makes a vehicle easier to control and improves its directional stability (reducing its tendency to wander)...

Improper caster settings will require the driver to move the steering wheel both into and out of each turn, making it difficult to maintain a straight line.
"
Caster angle - Wikipedia

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some might, some might not. I've known of two alignment shops that openly offer it, which is good and I assume more know about it and do it regularly. One shop charges a little bit more for it (it's a bunch more work than standard two-wheel alignment) but it's ok because their prices are already reasonable and they do great work.

Some more info:
"Caster causes a wheel to align with the direction of travel, and can be accomplished either by caster displacement or caster angle...

The purpose of this is to provide a degree of self-centering for the steering—the wheel casters around in order to trail behind the axis of steering. This makes a vehicle easier to control and improves its directional stability (reducing its tendency to wander)...

Improper caster settings will require the driver to move the steering wheel both into and out of each turn, making it difficult to maintain a straight line.
"
Caster angle - Wikipedia
Thank you for that info. I took a screen shot of that and will show and discuss it with the service guy or guys. If no better I will search out a good alignment shop and have a sit down with them. Tip o the hat, bud!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
hoping that it was just an idiosyncrasie that I would get used to
it's not. you definitely have something going on with the car that needs fixed.

Mine goes down the road pretty much straight with no input. and I've upgraded some parts that made the steering more touchy.

Definitely second the advice to check all bushings, including rears.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The electric steering on my CR-Z has more assistance and less direct feel of the road surface through the wheel than my Integra (the extra resistance in Sport helps somewhat) but I’ve never felt it was anything other than nice and accurate when cornering and after reading this thread the other night I paid close attention on my commute including a brief 60mph stretch and no effort was needed to keep the car inline over the bumps so I’m sure there is something strange with wheels/suspension/steering for you. Hope it turns out to be a cheap and easy fix.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts